• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Didn't see that coming!

KC9UDX

Space Commander
There's a printer I've been watching on eBay for a long time.

It was listed with an outrageous price, as-is, untested. You know the drill.

It was buy-it-now, or best offer.

I offered what I thought was a reasonable price for it, a small fraction of the seller's price.

He accepted!

That's great! Glad someone decided to be reasonable... I have offered a few times like that (unsuccessfully I might add)...I figure "best offer" is really a "best offer"...nothing to lose by trying. Perhaps if their items sit long enough and they get a few offers in the same price range, perhaps they will eventually accept one of them.

Wesley

Yes, I find those "Best Offer" listings to be a hit or miss, mostly miss. I had one guy respond to my offer with a counter that was the full BIN price. He then said in his message with the "Counter Offer" that he had decided that if he did not get the full BIN price, he would re-list it as a regular auction. Well it didn't sell, so he re-listed, with a reserve. It still didn't sell. I was starting to think, "You should have accepted my offer!!" A few days later the seller sent me a message saying he would accept my offer. Well the listing had expired so I guess he wanted to do the deal outside of Epay. I said "NO F...ING WAY!!" I thought about reporting him, but decided not to help them enforce their rules since I don't agree with most of them, and this guy will eventually get what he deserves.

(Thanks for your Data avatar, ibmapc.) I once subtly suggested to a seller that his $1000 price on an untested Mac SE/30 should come with a $950 refund and he gave me an offer (essentially the inverse of a best offer) for $950. In any event congrats on the printer, KC9UDX.

Yeah, I ahd that happen with my Matrox E-VDP. They wanted $500 for the thing but it had been up for months so I took a gamble and offered $75. They took it.
Good thing too. It took me years to get it into a somewhat working state but as seen form a recent thread, it's still quite sick. :(

I've also had a guy who had an item for $200 and Make an Offer. Sent him a $50 offer and he was brazen enough to straight out tell me "Sorry, I'm looking for at least $175." in the rejection notice.
Well if you want what is still full price, why did you enable offers, you f&%$ing tease??

Ever since E-Bay stopped charging a fee based on the price you started a auction or did a BuyItNow or Reserve Price people are going crazy listing items for absolutely crazy prices. Hopping to find that one sucker . Yes most of these things can be had for a offer. I think in the last month I have offered about $150.00 on $600.00 original listed items and won all but 1. Guy listed some old software for $40 of course untested. I offered $15 he responded with $37. LOL I declined it's still on there been 2 months now.

Anyway great on the printer what kind is it.?

I tryed that in the same situation once as well. It was an Olivetti DY-400 daisywheel printer. A fast one, 40 cps... A rare one... Working... The guy offered it for 300 Euros what was definitve too much - even if that printer is very rare and working. So I offered 10% of it. No response during a week. Then he answered me, he closed the bid and threw the printer to scrap. FAIL :(

Hopefully shipping that didn't put you in the poor house. Very nice find though.

Not at all. I just hope it arrives intact for what the shipping charge was. :confused:

I hemmed and hawed about it for a long time. My biggest concern is that it's friction feed. I hate friction feed.

Yeah the paper for that is getting really pricey. Went to Staples the other day and a box was like $60.00 or so and they don't sell the smaller box anymore.

But none are GPIB Daisy Wheel printers. Else I'd bite.

It seems the only thing rarer than a GPIB Daisy Wheel printer is one with tractor feed.

I bought the "big" box of tractor paper from OfficeMax a few years ago for $24.99. But it took two trips to the store and lots of arguing to find it there. Asking for tractor paper in 2015 is like asking for a TYME machine in Montana. Everyone you ask just assumes there's something wrong with you.

Well it sure is big. Heavier than I expected too, for some reason.

I figure it's probably the 7th largest printer I've owned, and either 2nd or 3rd largest I own (probably 2nd). Which is to say, it's pretty darn big.

As printers go, this thing is awesome! Even without tractor feed, it feeds straight, and consistently. It's very, very quiet, for a daisy wheel, and it's fast!

But for my purposes, not so useful.

For some reason, I expected a C= printer would print PETSCII. So it's not going to print the things I need to print, properly. For general text documents, however, which I normally print on a 9-pin, this will do a much better job. I doubt I'll ever find a replacement wheel with PETSCII characters, and making my own is out of the question.

It expects $0D $0A for CRLF. Quite normal for a printer, but, this means our friend CMD is useless.

It has an internal model number of 630-API (Diablo Systems, no doubt).

KIMG0163.jpg

attachment.php
What are we.... Martians???

Why is is so hard to post a picture correctly?

If you don't even care why bother to post it at all?

>Beats me. It was correct when I posted it.

I find that before I upload, I need to open the photo, check the orientation, correct and save. You can't go by the thumbnail. I think the thumbnail auto-corrects just to view.
Wonders of modern i-devices that don't know up from down I guess. Servicing televisions on their side, I learned to read sideways, another form of dyslexia :)

Larry G

Last edited:
Back