Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

XT-IDE via floppy boot instead of EPROM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, yes. I did wonder why the original author didn't include the BIOS Parameter Block to begin with. Perhaps he couldn't find a good reference. Anyway, with a single %define (for the floppy drive type) and a bit of conditional assembly you can just add all the possible BPB-values to the source code. No need for any extra patching that way. See the boot sector program I uploaded to here some years ago (search for Wangboot).
    Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

Comment

Thanks got it, Though i suspect that's way above my skill level, I'll have a good look later.

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
        I now have the 'original' code (Boot12.ASM) working on my IBM XT 5160, After much googling i found this web page, To quote from the web page:

The BootSector source code (boot12.asm) is written for a 1440 kb FloppyDisk, hence its binary (boot12.bin) must be patched according to the table above to give you boot360.bin, boot720.bin, boot1220.bin and boot1440.bin. This patching is made via a DebugScript.

The problem was i have been using 720 kb floppy disks, These 720 kb floppies worked fine in my laptops (with HD floppy support ) but when used in my XT 5160 ( with no HD floppy support ) they failed with an error. I made a new boot disk using a 1.44 mb floppy and fitted an HD floppy controller in my XT 5160 and the new boot disk worked like a charm

Edit: Tried the 720 kb floppy's i made earlier with the 'Modified' (Boot12.ASM) and failed to work on the 5160, They now work with the HD floppy controller fitted in the XT, They have the wrong XUB file on them but the XUB does load now on the 5160. Will do more testing later.
        Nice find, Malc.

Made the 1.44M disk and it seems to work fine (on my Pentium MMX 233).

I also made 1.2M and 360K disks from the original 1.44M disk without having to change any code. I just used Disk Copy Fast to make an image of the 1.44M disk that was then converted to the two 5" formats. I suppose WinImage would be up to the task as well but I'm currently running DOS on my tweener so I chose a DOS program to convert the images.
        PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Comment

Yes, nice find. So the original BOOT12.ASM now works on more machines.

I briefly wondered if this was the missing step for BOOT12.XUB (named for clarity) - the need for an HD floppy controller or a modification of the boot sector to suit the medium in use. But:

1. I can boot a 1.44MB floppy with BOOT12.ASM in my Toshiba T3200SX, but not BOOT12.XUB.

2. I can boot BOOT12.XUB on a 360KB disk in my Commodore PC10-III which does *not* have an HD floppy controller.

I wonder if the PARTCOPY step handles this for BOOT12.XUB? I get the impression that 'injects' the boot sector code into an existing formatted disk, taking account of the media descriptor, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Stone View Post
            Nice find, Malc.

Made the 1.44M disk and it seems to work fine (on my Pentium MMX 233).

I also made 1.2M and 360K disks from the original 1.44M disk without having to change any code. I just used Disk Copy Fast to make an image of the 1.44M disk that was then converted to the two 5" formats. I suppose WinImage would be up to the task as well but I'm currently running DOS on my tweener so I chose a DOS program to convert the images.
            Thanks, The 1.44Mb disk i made seem's to be working fine in my XT 5160 also, I haven't tried it on 360k or 1.2M, I can't see why the 720k disk with the modified code and XUB doesn't work yet, According to the post on Vogons it was written for a 720k, But it only works with a HD floppy controller fitted for me. I'll keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexC View Post
              1. I can boot a 1.44MB floppy with BOOT12.ASM in my Toshiba T3200SX, but not BOOT12.XUB.
              What happens when you run BOOT12.XUB in your Tosh T3200SX, Does the XUB load ?, I'm just guessing that you cant set Hard drive type to 'None' in the bios setup, Maybe a patched version of the XUB will work, Let me know if you need a copy.

Comment

What happens when you run BOOT12.XUB in your Tosh T3200SX, Does the XUB load ?, I'm just guessing that you cant set Hard drive type to 'None' in the bios setup, Maybe a patched version of the XUB will work, Let me know if you need a copy.
                The Tosh doesn't load the XUB: just hangs with a flashing cursor. This is a quirky machine, though: its existing BIOS will only allow it to work with Conner-branded IDE hard drives. It's probably not the best testbed, but BOOT12.ASM does work fine on it.

It would be interesting to try a patched copy if you can post it here.

Comment

I've had that a couple of times 'just hangs with a flashing cursor' Something went wrong with building the disk, I Re-formatted the disk and started again and it worked.

XUB B3 (2013) Patched is [ Here ]

Comment

I've had that a couple of times 'just hangs with a flashing cursor' Something went wrong with building the disk, I Re-formatted the disk and started again and it worked.

XUB B3 (2013) Patched is [ Here ]
                    Thanks, I'll give that one a try and report back.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give that one a try and report back.
                      Reporting back... flashing cursor on the Tosh and my AST Premium Exec even with the patched version. Not a big issue for me since I don't need the XUB on either machine, and both have their quirks. The same disk works fine on my P166.

Comment

Sorry for the bump, but has anyone checked whether this bootloader works with a TMC-850 without a ROM while a Future Domain TMC-950 v8.2 BIOS is loaded? I couldn't get my TMC-845 with this method to seek any devices.
                        Join the penny pincher army today!

Comment

It depends on the BIOS you're loading. It won't work if it's made with the assumption that it will reside in a certain segment.
                          Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

Comment

Right. In this case, the bootloader puts the BIOS at 7D00 on my Turbo XT. I head from a Russian forum that the controller will swear if the BIOS is not within the segment that the TMC-950's UMB SCSI memory lies in (in which I have it jumpered at DE00), so I'll have to wait until my EPROM gets here to really see what's going on...
                            Join the penny pincher army today!

Comment

An odd thought: is it possible to load the XT-IDE BIOS from a bootable floppy instead of an EPROM?

I guess you'd lose a bit of low RAM but it would be a simple solution for those who don't have an EPROM burner. The hard drive wouldn't be bootable, but it would still be useful for mass storage.
                              I found existing tools too convoluted, and ended up writing my own.
                              Got an Amiga and a null-modem cable? Try amigaXfer today!

Comment

Originally posted by dmac View Post

I found existing tools too convoluted, and ended up writing my own.
                                What sort of limitations does this have? Can you boot from a floppy in that drive after loading the rom? Does protected mode mess anything up?

Comment

Working...
                                X