• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

#giveAccessToEwaste for Vintage Computer and Vintage Electronic restorer's

inotarobot

Veteran Member
Further to my recent post about visiting my favorite eWaste site, I had this thought.

Maybe I should get myself something called a Twitter account and start a hash tag called #giveAccessToEwaste

Make a push to Globally, allow private individuals to get a Registered "access pass" after they have done an 'online OH&S' training in eWaste handling.

All one should only need is a valid 'hobby' reason (For instance like membership of the forum" to apply for the "access pass" and buy safety boots, suitable eye protection, and suitable clothing, inc Hi-Viz vest if required, for visiting a eWaste site.

Time is slipping by and much of the worthwhile older gear is vanishing to these places, as Government regulators and Legal people continue to try justify the reason for their jobs.

Be interested in your views on this #giveAccessToEwaste.

Time is slipping by and much of the worthwhile older gear is vanishing to these places, as Government regulators and Legal people continue to try justify the reason for their jobs.

Let's try to stay away from inflammatory statements. Sometimes the reasons are not obvious, even if they are good. It's very easy to explain away things as malice before you make a full effort to understand them.

Not a bad idea if you think people will see that. Although it seems like it would be tough to overcome some of those privacy laws and corporate push to eliminate all used computer markets. But if it can get even a bit of attention perhaps someone might think twice about sending a machine to the chipper shredder.

Let's try to stay away from inflammatory statements. Sometimes the reasons are not obvious, even if they are good. It's very easy to explain away things as malice before you make a full effort to understand them.

Yes you are correct. It was not appropriate of me to post what I said about "certain people trying to justify their jobs". It was NOT intended to be inflammatory. I said it, based on my personal experiences over the last 40 years in industry.

To anyone I have offended, I offer an apology.

From my original post, I think any reader to this total Thread, should focus on the facts, that in this current "externally regulated' recycling environment there is a percentage of vintage equipment entering eWaste sites that is Hazardous and other Vintage Items that is NOT Hazardous; yet it is all treated as Hazardous.

It is these NON Hazardous Vintage items that we should be able to recover.

Depends upon what you mean as "hazardous". As far as I can determine, all "vintage" equipment contains lead-bearing solder. That qualifies it as "hazardous waste" at least in the UK, Europe, the USA and many other countries.

I don't know how you step around that one.

Depends upon what you mean as "hazardous". As far as I can determine, all "vintage" equipment contains lead-bearing solder. That qualifies it as "hazardous waste" at least in the UK, Europe, the USA and many other countries.

I don't know how you step around that one.

Well Chuck,
As waste I agree recycling Lead solder covered PCB's, or other Lead/Cadmium/etc components is hazardous.

I feel the BIG issue is in the detail of the definition of "Recycling waste PCB's."

We as Vintage Computer Recyclers, ARE NOT typically the ones whom go ahead perform the tasks to reduce the waste PCB's or other electronic parts, to their basic chemical components, possibly for on selling of these waste products, to be made into new product ( ie the steel or plastic bits) or incinerated or treated in a way, that is safe for the environment when then are finally dumped.

We as Vintage Computer Recyclers, typically test repair,restore and on occasion enhance, then re-power up to a working stage, secondhand computer or electronic components or systems, for either our own personal pleasure or for the greater education of the masses, though Museums, Technology shows and the like.

If I am presenting my thoughts correctly, then we are Vintage Computer/Electronics restorers/re-users; NOT recyclers.

So my thought are if we can get together as a World Computer/Electronics Hobby Community, and produce a Globally Recognized training course, on how to work safely with the 'Hazardous Materials' in Vintage Computer/Electronics, so as to allow us to visit eWaste collection centers etc to, collect and keep these items, for ourselves and future generations.

Last edited:
Sure, but most jurisdictions don't discriminate between types of discarded electronics. And don't forget, that at least in the US, there are federal and state programs that make funds available for eWaste "disposal". We have a facility here that uses the old gear to train the developmentally disabled to take the stuff to pieces. Yes, I've seen lots of choice stuff tossed into the barrels and it broke my heart. On the other hand, it's doing some good.

The same outfit does run a resale store, but is very choosy to select only prime, salable stuff. If you come in with a pallet-loat of iMacs, they're history--and they'll ask for a cash donation in advance.

In my country, it's an open secret that staff in some smaller e-waste plants sells some things in internet auctions. However, in many cases they are not well oriented about exact hardware characteristics. And fortunately for old computers collector it's a bit easier to get into smaller recycling plants (meet chef, good coffee, some %, etc.). The "Training": "As in all industrial plants, remember that hands and legs don't grow on trees" (the same training I had when as a scientist I had to enter zinc processing plant). The situation in USA seems to be much more difficult.

iMacs? Old?
The oldest thing I've seen on e-waste: Cinematography apparatus (projector), Anno Domini 1912, quite neglected condition, about 1/3 of mechanical part missing. Finally one of my friends who collects old home appliances got it for 2 old mainboards. This is an example of an antique equipment.

About lead-based solder, I think that's not as dangerous as mercury in "environment-friendly" light bulbs.

The truth is, it is not comfortable for companies that people know computer history, especially the modern one (last 20 years). They may ask too much questions about the "features" that they didn't ask for, dislike the Windows 1.x working mechanism in new version again :), or even look for alternatives, maybe even open-source ones, which require some programming skills. Nice idea, but hard to implement and prone to overusing.

Believe it or not, iMac G3s (the ones that look like a melted portable TV are getting to be pretty uncommon here. Schools bought them in quantity and then scrapped them in quantity. Same for Apple IIs.

As far as metallic lead, yes, I agree with you that it's not particularly dangerous, unless it gets placed into a landfill and corrodes into various polluting salts. But anything with lead--even soldered copper water pipes and brass bathroom fixtures (some have lead for better machining properties) have a lot of people scared silly. Don't even talk about mercury--my old wall thermostat with sealed mercury switches--or worse, my sump pump with a large mercury switch might well bring out a hazmat team if it were to be broken in a public place.

Yet, people continue to flash the roofs of upscale housing and public buildings (e.g. churches) with sheet lead even in cities with acidified rainfall. So go figure.

Asbestos is another sore point with me. Perfectly safe if contained and undisturbed.

Gee, I wonder how I survived to experience my "golden years". We had a large American Lead Products plant in town and lined our furnaces with fibrous asbestos. During the summer, mosquito abatement trucks sprayed great clouds of DDT with the neighborhood kids following behind on their bicycles. The list of nasties is quite long...

So my thought are if we can get together as a World Computer/Electronics Hobby Community, and produce a Globally Recognized training course, on how to work safely with the 'Hazardous Materials' in Vintage Computer/Electronics

That's a great idea. We (VCFederation) will endeavor to produce such a video and advertise it on the homepage (vcfed.org), here on the forum, social media, etc. Thanks for the suggestion!

Back