• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

etiquette to met in person, vcf foke, especially International 1's, U chat to here ?

inotarobot

Veteran Member
Hi all,

I am asking is there any written (spoken-agreed) etiquette to meeting other members of vcfed in person ?

I choose the word etiquette in meaning "a customary code of polite behaviour in society or among members of a particular profession or group".

In late September 2016, I am travelling, from Australia to Berlin, to present a paper at Maglev2016, a major rail engineering conference. After the 28th Sept, I am planning to travel, funds permitting, back to Australia via a few countries in Europe & maybe UK, then head either to Canada and USA or just head home to Australia.

I know and have met just a few from VCFED in person, so maybe this trip I can expand that 'circle' of you great foke, I have had time to personally meet.

Things I wonder about are amongst others:-

what would people expect an International traveller lobbing in their town to be a ?
- burden, as rrr the only rail or airport near me is 3hrs drive and its snowing, raining or that weekend its my favorite sports game on.
- finally someone that shares their interests,
- damn I hope they don't wish to kip on the couch !
- oh good someone to fix the system I just cannot get time to trouble shoot,
- or mm here is someone to take to our monthly computer meeting, and he/she can be the guest speaker
- or?????????

Planning a return journey as adhoc as I am, is really doing my head at moment, as I don't have huge lots of cash nor weeks to flit about.

But I know there are fokes and collections I would be pleased to met and see.

I have travelled the World with work for 40+ years and have seen enought places to really want to see more.

There are some Countries I have never been to and sites I would still like to view.

so over to you all, to please comment

regards
David.

Last edited:
Maybe it depends on whether there is anyone active here in the places you are thinking of going.

For example if you happened to be passing through the Seattle, WA area you could probably find someone who might be interested in checking out the LCM ( http://www.livingcomputermuseum.org/ ) with you. It's local to me and sadly I have still never been there yet myself.

I'm not really sure what to say. Home meetings make me a bit nervous but I don't mind meeting folks in neutral locations or at festivals. Most of us are good people but I'm sure there are bad eggs in the mix and I'd hate to have to plug their metal-framed chair into 110V, I mean, have an abrupt end to our acquaintance.

I'm not really sure what to say. Home meetings make me a bit nervous but I don't mind meeting folks in neutral locations or at festivals. Most of us are good people but I'm sure there are bad eggs in the mix and I'd hate to have to plug their metal-framed chair into 110V, I mean, have an abrupt end to our acquaintance.

Dont you mean the 110kv EHT from a very old crt monitor..really 110v hardly tingles when your use to 240v ac zaps, as us Australians are :tellme:

Last edited:
Maybe it depends on whether there is anyone active here in the places you are thinking of going.

For example if you happened to be passing through the Seattle, WA area you could probably find someone who might be interested in checking out the LCM ( http://www.livingcomputermuseum.org/ ) with you. It's local to me and sadly I have still never been there yet myself.

MMM well I had a look at Living Computer Museum and its quite an interesting place. Their site indicates you need a minimum of 2+ hrs to enjoy it.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will have to make it there sometime with the next few years. Would be pleased to visit it with you.

Cold reality after doing my fight homework, on times + costs, I think this time around, I will only get to be in the European area of world, either prior, post or both of the Exhibition/Conference I am attending from 19th to 26th Sept 2016.

So USA and Canada will need to wait till next year and a refreshed piggy bank.

" - damn I hope they don't wish to kip on the couch ! "

Made me laugh :) I always worry about that too!

wonder what Museums / computer collections to visit in European cities

wonder what Museums / computer collections to visit in European cities

Ok so now I know that I am not going to make USA / Canada this trip, I wonder what Museums / computer collections there are available to visit in any of the European cities I am heading to.

List is Berlin, Frankfurt, Zurich,

so Cities in the Netherlands

maybe London

and on homeward leg

Instanbul

Shanghai Pudong CN

Bangkok TH

" - damn I hope they don't wish to kip on the couch ! "

Made me laugh :) I always worry about that too!

Glad you got a laugh.. apart from speaking 6800 Assembler or Hex, I really do like adding humor to my coding.

Well I had Jack Rubin visit earlier this year to look at my pdp-8i bits, and would have been happy to have him stay a few days, and try powering up a few bits. But we don't have a guest room, and cat commands the couch !!

The only spare [compact] accommodation we had external of house, Maria just sold, and the new owner said her cattle dog just loves it !!!!

I could NOT have got rid of it quicker, as I was in the bad books that week for bring home more computer bits, and realized that a sleeping bag did not quite fit in it.

Ok so now I know that I am not going to make USA / Canada this trip, I wonder what Museums / computer collections there are available to visit in any of the European cities I am heading to.

List is Berlin, Frankfurt, Zurich,

so Cities in the Netherlands

maybe London

and on homeward leg

Instanbul

Shanghai Pudong CN

Bangkok TH

Frankfurt has http://www.technikum29.de/en/ About 20 minutes north of the airport Wish it had been open back when I lived near there.

London has http://www.tnmoc.org/ About 90 minutes from city center

Zurich has http://www.enter-online.ch/index.php?id=taetigkeit

Bern is about an hour from Zurich so http://www.mfk.ch/en/home-en/ might not be too out of the way

Last edited:
There are plenty of inexpensive motels are here. :) However when we have repair workshops (every couple of months) many of us bring sleeping bags, air mattresses, etc. to stay overnight at the museum.

There are plenty of inexpensive motels are here. :) However when we have repair workshops (every couple of months) many of us bring sleeping bags, air mattresses, etc. to stay overnight at the museum.

I do hope your not inferring that old computer geeks are full of hot air, with your air mattress statement :OT:. I know I 'blow up' the odd switch mode power supply at times or the old pcb, but an air mattress.. mm :hide:

Wish there were some jumping kangaroo smiles to add here. :p

If you arrive in a burnt out Kombi, I'll have only one question for you. But first I'll have to find you some vegemite or something.

If I were going to the USA or Canadia, I'd go to a TPUG meeting. That's what I would do.

Toronto PET User's Group? Even if you were far, far away from Toronto?

Last edited:
Sure, why not? I'll be in Windsor in a few weeks, but there's no WPUG.

I'm a member of TPUG. I've never been to Toronto. At least, I think I am, if I didn't forget to post my dues.

Back