• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to clean yoghurt out of a computer?

So my friend is willing to give me his windows 98 computer, but he says it's full of yoghurt (what) so I need to know how to get that all out without damaging the components. Thanks!

Uh... okay then.

In theory you could literally tear it down and wash it with soap and water. Aside from rust concerns (which isnt really a concern from just washing a system), water is only dangerous to electronics if its powered on while wet. I know loads of people who put circuit boards through dishwasher cycles, use power washers, wash in tubs of soapy water, etc.

Just wash them thoroughly, and make sure its completely dry before you try to power it on. Also make sure any paper labels on the system itself are either protected, or that they dont have any crucial information on them. Either leave it out for 2-3 days to air dry, or get yourself something like a big container of silica gel pearls, they're awesome for drying out electronics.

Uh... okay then.

In theory you could literally tear it down and wash it with soap and water. Aside from rust concerns (which isnt really a concern from just washing a system), water is only dangerous to electronics if its powered on while wet. I know loads of people who put circuit boards through dishwasher cycles, use power washers, wash in tubs of soapy water, etc.

Just wash them thoroughly, and make sure its completely dry before you try to power it on. Also make sure any paper labels on the system itself are either protected, or that they dont have any crucial information on them. Either leave it out for 2-3 days to air dry, or get yourself something like a big container of silica gel pearls, they're awesome for drying out electronics.

Yes.

But please don't anyone ever use a pressure washer. It's just not necessary.

But please don't anyone ever use a pressure washer.

Yea I probably should've noted that. :D

I watched a youtube video of a guy "refurbishing" a 5150, by taking the circuit boards out into his front yard and blasting it with a pressure washer. He actually launches it off into the lawn with the pressure a couple times, and eventually starts standing on corners of it to keep it in place. Its legitimately cringe-worthy.

Everything on a 98 era machine should be fairly washable. Disassemble as much as possible, be mindful of paper labels, and give it a bath, with the exception of the hard drive. Only wipe down hard drives, at most only remove/wash the circuit board. Use a soft brush, such as a toothbrush to clean around chips.

Once done use a can of compressed air (nothing too strong) to blow excess water out of expansion slots and other crevices. Then leave it to dry for several days in front of a fan in a warm dry place.

Desktop units should be very easy, but laptops will require much more disassembly.

If there are specific components you are unsure about disassembling or reassembling then ask about them here.

Back