Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

What is this? Post Photos of Mystery Items Here (vintage computers only)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I'm not sure that it's a computer at all. It looks a bit small and has nothing but an edge connector; not even so much as a "reset" button. It'll be interesting to see if it's anything more than a power supply.
    I think you are correct. I think it is the electronics box for Micro Computer Devices Selecterm system (on page 31): https://www.thecomputerarchive.com/K...9%20Medium.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by falter View Post
      I think you are correct. I think it is the electronics box for Micro Computer Devices Selecterm system (on page 31): https://www.thecomputerarchive.com/K...9%20Medium.pdf
      It may be similar to the main unit in the ESCON Model E-P kit that converts an IBM Selectric to a parallel printer. It may have similar electronics like the main interface shown here: http://vintagecomputer.ca/escon-selectric-kit/
      Maintainer of http://vintagecomputer.ca

Comment

I think falter's hit it right on the nose--the model number even matches. Here's the most detailed description that I could find from 1978 Kilobaud. (PDF Page 15). Looks like most of the smarts were in the Selectric base unit.

Comment

It’s in a box marked SASI-HDC.

94511ECF-544D-434D-82B7-EF58571C2F1A.jpeg

Googling SASI suggests it was a predecessor for SCSI. What would this card be for?

Comment

Originally posted by jafir View Post
            It’s in a box marked SASI-HDC.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65947[/ATTACH]

Googling SASI suggests it was a predecessor for SCSI. What would this card be for?
            it is an early OMTI Model 2001
            MFM to SASI controller
            Last edited by Al Kossow; January 18, 2021, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Looks like a ST-506 to sasi board. I think I used to have one, but I don't remember out of what.. Might have been a eagle computer?

edit.. (I should refresh my browser before answering.. I left this one open for awhile..)
              Last edited by dabone; January 18, 2021, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jafir View Post
                Itís in a box marked SASI-HDC.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65947[/ATTACH]

SASI is basically SCSI before it was formally standardized. I used to use one of these with my Atari ST to connect an old 60Mb MFM drive to the Atari.

I believe that the original concept of SCSI was that you would have controller boards like this on the SCSI bus managing multiple drives. Usually this type of board could control two MFM drives which is why SCSI has LUNs.
                Dave
                G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Comment

SCSI is supposed to be a "universal" bus, where more than one controller as well as devices can share the bus. In addition, there are some devices that can talk to other devices (mostly found in SCSI tape drives) without the intervention of the controller. The ideal is that as long as devices conform to the SCSI spec, specialized drivers aren't necessary. For example, most SCSI tape drives can be driven with the same basic command set. Similarly, tape auto-feed robots can be anything from a 4 tape QIC cartridge feed to one of those tape library robots that roam racks of tapes picking and sticking.

Although few consumer-level SCSI controllers support it natively, there is a define protocol for controller-to-controller communication.

It's also encapsulated in much of the current USB technology, such that, if I have a USB mass-storage device (MSC), it has to support the SCSI command set usually used for disks, even though the "disk" may be nothing more than a SD card stuck in a cheap USB reader. Same for ATAPI devices--it's basically packetized SCSI communicated via an ATA command.

Comment

I've also got a couple of SMS RLL-to-Mac SCSI boards. At one time, there was a substantial price premium on SCSI over ST506-interface drives, so it made sense to have a "go-between" board to interface cheaper ST506 drives to Mac. I used one of those boards with a separate board of "glue" to make the transition between SCSI and ACSI on an Atari ST. Worked fine. I've also got an Ampex SASI-interface board (full length ISA) that interfaced to a hard disk+tape box.

Comment

Very interesting. Thanks to everyone that answered.

Well I doubt I’ll ever own anything that needs this so I’m going to pass it along to someone that expressed interest in it.

Comment

Got to this thread after searching for ultra 160 scsi hard drive, actually I was searching for sata hdd and just stumbled upon a category of ultra 160 scsi hdd here. I haven't head about this before, are they still used, the storage doesn't seem to be high as compared to what i have seen in the sata hdd.

Comment

Ultra 160 or ultra 320 is usually server stuff, with SCA to allow for easier hot swapping. Are they still used? Sure, but not by anything current. There are lots of legacy servers out there in production. Most companies switched to SAS or SATA over 10 years ago. For example 8th gen Dell poweredge (2850, etc) had SCA scsi. 9th gen (2950, etc) had SAS/SATA.

Comment

I was looking at some Urbexing forums and came across this system, which I presume is a typesetter.

1796092_5b7178d47a72688ee33b6a82d7f5fa8e.jpg
                            https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/thread...h-2021.127735/

Anyone know what it might be?
                            The building is due to be demolished, so if anyone wants it the clock is ticking.
                            I don't have room for it but would pull the Shugart 800s if no one takes it...
                            Wanted: PDP-8/f panel, 16 Sector RK05 packs, VT100, Altair 8800 CPU card, KD11-A, KE8E (M8340 M8341), memory for 11/40.
                            Available for trade: AlphaStation DS10, DS15, IBM 5150, XT, Intel MDS 230, MOS KIM-1, Many PC parts from the 5150 era onwards, DEC Storageworks HDDs, misc DIP ICs, OMNIBUS/UNIBUS/QBUS cards, 6502/8080/85/86/88/Z80 CPUs, Misc radio valves (vacuum tubes), C64, Amiga 1200, Sinclair ZX Spectrum/+/QL.

Comment

Could be a phototypesetter; definite resemblance to a CompSet system, but hard to say.

There's some magnificent old photo equipment there!

Comment

Originally posted by TJ_Mossman View Post
                                I was looking at some Urbexing forums and came across this system, which I presume is a typesetter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67150[/ATTACH]
                                https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/thread...h-2021.127735/

Anyone know what it might be?
                                The building is due to be demolished, so if anyone wants it the clock is ticking.
                                I don't have room for it but would pull the Shugart 800s if no one takes it...
                                Looks interesting. Lots of cards and a terminal, but could be most anything...
                                Dave
                                G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Comment

Working...
                                X