• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The Worst Computer Of All Time

Xacalite

Veteran Member
What's the worst computer you've ever encountered?
Or the worst computer you can possibly imagine?

For me, "the worst" *isn't* just one with the lowest processing power and storage, as this would inevitably lead to ENIAC and other 1940s iron.
It *isn't* something with the worst performance compared to what was on the top at the moment, as low performance is often totally justified - it allows for low price, compact size, longer battery life, compatibility with legacy software, and so on.

For me, "the worst" is something that seems to be intentionally crippled, stuff which deviates from established standards for no valid reason - changes just for the sake of changes, products that could have been done better without the need for higher technology and cost increase.

I mostly associate such products with the 90s era, and who knows, maybe it's even possible to have them all in one box?

* Celeron 266 - removed L2 cache from the processor module, impossible to have cache on the mobo, 66 MHz FSB even though it was designed for 100 MHz (virtually all these Celerons were overclockable by 50%!), effect: sometimes it was slower than its predecessor - Pentium MMX
* AMR and CNR slots - absolutely no technical reasons to have them, they just occupied space lowering the count of universal ISA/PCI slots, especially the fact they often replaced ISA slots was painful, as ISA was becoming rare and precious in that era
* softmodems, GDI-only printers, and other "soft-" hardware - OK, this not quite fits here, as their fully-hardware counterparts had to be more expensive, but still, they used to be such PITA that I just can't omit them here
* Microsoft Natural Keyboard - not only looks stupid, but also breaks the keyboard layout everybody was accustomed to, especially the variant with vertical Home/End/PageUp/Down/Delete/Insert block. Those keyboards with the three ACPI keys just above the arrows, where one would expect Delete/End/PageDown, were a very close competitor.
* Microsoft Mouse - I mean that curved mouse, which also looks stupid, and has just 2 buttons, ie. very inconvenient even for Microsoft's own Minesweeper
* Colani case - looks like a toy for children aged 0-3, absolutely no sharp edges, pretty much requires drives with special front panel, as normal ones not quite fit
* AMI Winbios - BIOS setup with GUI, needs mouse, and only some mouse types are supported, IIRC 3-button mice with Mouse Systems protocol didn't work
* Windows ME - still running on top of DOS, but with DOS artificially hidden, it's enough to patch a few bytes to get fully-functional DOS back! And there was more problems with ME. I suspect ME was intentionally broken to convince people to adopt XP, even though XP was also a major PITA.
* Microsoft Bob - the most retarded piece of software in history, and they probably seriously considered making it mainstream, argh!
* Clippy and all that stuff - just can't keep myself from doing a facepalm at that, and they carried that on for a full decade...

So, what are *your* worst computing nightmares?
Of course, feel free to choose your own criteria.

AT clones from day one to the present (might even include the AT itself owing to the A20 gate).

They are the computer of standards: 32760 standards and counting. Every time I've ever broken down and bought hardware for one, it went obsolete shortly after purchase.

The hardware and software to me are fine examples of everything wrong with the world.

The TI-99 gets an honorable mention for being a horrible design, the Apple ||GS because they intentionally crippled it, and the Amiga 4000 because they ditched AAA and added IDE. Oh and the Apple /// for just being exactly the opposite of what I expected it to be.

There are some earlier designs that just went all wrong on the tip of me tongue, but I can't quite recall.

the worst computer I ever owned, and my first, was the Tandy 2000. It's arguable whether or not it was intentionally "crippled" - it was touted as 50% IBM compatible - HA. This lie was propagated by Tandy Computer Center morons in suits and ties nearly right up to the day it was discontinued. Many or some IBM Incompatibles were intentionally made to *not* run all of IBM's software - or they just couldn't figure out how to do with w/o infringing on copyrights. Some did so in part for that reason, the other part was to compete with IBM, not so schmott. It's not that the computer itself sucked. They were reliable enough - they were eventually put to use in the back rooms of RS stores. The problem with my original one was I took it apart so much it just kind of slagged out, lost it's integrity. It was a fine machine in it's own right, not quite as fast as an AT but most of the way there (8 mhz 80186), 640 x 400 x 8 graphics. The demo of it drawing a polar flower in interpreted BASIC impressed basically everyone. It's just too bad I couldn't run Star Flight on it :(. Of all the incompatibles, it was the only one, to my knowledge, that was compatible (careful) with BIOS and DOS interrupts. For the most part anyway. So little software operated solely at those levels. It was primarily incompatible in the video subsection, which was usually the case with that group of machines. The Texas Instruments Professional was also, yet actually used a 6845 variant, the 6545 IIRC. It had 2 720k "quad" floppy drives, or 1 and a hard disk. And an especially lovely egg shell colored plastic case. The setup was godawful weird though. The motherboard was located underneath the plastic case, screwed to a steel chassis/plate thing. Just too weird. To gain access you had to pop it off of the card cage connector. Just have to see it to believe it. So bizarre. That's why mine got flakey. I kept taking it apart - I was a weird teenager (actually I was probably 20 when I acquired it). I tried to get my instructor to help me tweak a beautiful 15" Panasonic MDA compatible open frame monitor to work off it's graphics, a simple thing, but he didn't know enough. I think I payed 15$ for that monitor. Wish I still had it. A few months later I took a 2nd job for a few weeks (guarding Christmas trees) and bought an NEC Multisync II for about 600$. I have 2 2k's now, neither work I don't think. Need to dust them off and get them running again.

Worst O/S .. Windows 10 - not trying to start any arguments, it's just my opinion. After using windows as my `base` O/S, with VMs for other O/Ses I was having such a bad time with Win.10 that I move to Linux Mint as a base for the VMs. For Windows work I mostly use Win.7 in a VM.

* Microsoft Natural Keyboard - not only looks stupid, but also breaks the keyboard layout everybody was accustomed to, especially the variant with vertical Home/End/PageUp/Down/Delete/Insert block. Those keyboards with the three ACPI keys just above the arrows, where one would expect Delete/End/PageDown, were a very close competitor.

I'm typing right at this moment on a Natural Keyboard Elite, which was the second version and the one with the vertical arrow and edit key blocks. Yes it is an acquired taste if you use it long enough but certainly not for everyone. Slightly smaller than the original, and without all of the crazy power and multimedia buttons of later versions.

* Windows ME - still running on top of DOS, but with DOS artificially hidden, it's enough to patch a few bytes to get fully-functional DOS back! And there was more problems with ME. I suspect ME was intentionally broken to convince people to adopt XP, even though XP was also a major PITA.

Windows ME was the same time frame as Windows 2000, not Windows XP. Originally there were no plans for the Windows ME release and the Windows 9x team was mostly disbanded after the Windows 98 SE release. I think the main motivations for it were that Windows 2000 was taking slightly longer than planned to get out and finally replace the Windows 9x line and some OEMs started wanted another interim update, and maybe Microsoft figured why not they could squeeze some more revenue out of another update without a huge development effort. Some of the reasons why it sucked is probably due to only having junior people left to resurrect the development teams and a more freewheeling approach of throwing things in which weren't so well designed. Most of the people working on it at the time knew it sucked. Just my opinions as someone who was there at the time and worked on 98, 98 SE, 2000, and (reluctantly) ME.

Mine is mostly PC leaning....this is just my experiences....

Worst overall computers - Apple Macintosh - any model pre Intel. After about 5 years, unless you somehow load another O/S on it with decent driver support, it's absolutely useless for anything - networking? Hope you enjoy Appletalk and Adapters? Internet? HA! Gaming? Hope you enjoy broken file handles unless you really know what you are doing. All Apples are user friendly till the day they become obsolete - then they become technician un-friendly. All in ones? Need a special cracker tool and long star driver to get in the bloody case. Of course, this was not always true - but since my vintage computing is in a network/mixed modern/vintage heavy environment, Macs are a REAL pain in the ass.

Worst Power Supply - Those bloody 4 pin power supplies you find on most late 80's/early 90's laptops like the Twinheads, NanTans, and the like. Replacements usually cost over $50.00 until the day you give up and junk the machine, then the power supply goes down to $14 with free shipping. Find one with the connector, you can't verify what the voltages are, and since the laptop is missing a manual, you can't exactly figure out what voltages go to what pins. Saw a power supply with the same setup on the DisplayLink Docks that Targus made - total pieces of shit, the 4-pins burned up and shared connectors with the power input for the laptop and users would plug the power supply into the power input - which worked fine....till the dock blew up.

Worst Case - Any of those silly attempts at Pizza Box Cases that required a proprietary power supply of some sort. Blow your PSU, good luck! Also I've had to hacksaw some of those just to get certain motherboards to fit. I did case-modding before it was spopular as a result. $5.00 486, totally wasted motherboard, welll, I have a better one over here - well crap, drive cage is in the way.....well, I don't exactly need a brick shithouse to hold up a crummy late 90's floppy drive - PC case this is Mr. Dremel, Mr. Dremel, this is PC case - let's make some sparks.

Worst Motherboard - HP!! Modern or vintage. First HP I ever had was a Celeron 500 "Camaro" motherboard, the flow job was so terrible there were SMD components on their SIDES and the PCI slots were leaning, the one I put my graphics card into was almost at 60 degrees! I also fix HP's all day long at work and 99.9% of the time - it's the bloody motherboard. Can't get video - video card and power supply are fine - but it's that blasted motherboard. I've replaced so many in Z420s I had the part number memorized for 3 years straight! The voltage section for the CPU always burned up on those, or the thermistor burned out on the early ones with liquid cooling. Also, some BIOS/Jumper settings can render the system unbootable without having to use a secret catastrophe jumper that nobody but a tech would know about.

Worst CPU - I'd probably say the Pentium 60 and Pentium 66. I've had the 60, that thing lasted 10 minutes before crashing/hanging. I can see why people still bought 486's when those came out aside from the fact they were costly.

Worst RAM - Early 1990's Laptops. All proprietary, and try explaining to some guy at some shop that you are looking for some kind of Nan Tan Notebook 6200 module for some old 486 and he hands you a pair of DIMMS. The best of the worst would be IBM ThinkPad and those Kingston memory cards they used in the 755, at least those are easy to explain and upgrade.

Worst Floppy Drives - Mitsubishi. Every bloody computer I've had from GEM Computer Products had Mitsubishi Floppy drives and almost always, clear as day, the 1.44M 3.5" Floppy was dead. Get on google/Yahool! and see if it's actually a 720K...nope it really is 1.44MB. Well, try formatting a diskette in it "Error Reading Drive A: Abort, Retry, Fail" - Fine, Fail it and I'll slap a brand new Sony or a good ole TEAC in there.

Worst Hard Drives - Seagate. Weather we are talking an old ST-251 or a Barracuda 2GB 7200 SATA Seagate is the drive I end up replacing the most. I've got Western Digitals over 20 years old with no bad sectors that keep on going and going and going, I've go 10 year old WDs, same deal. but the best drives I ever had were Maxtors - I had a 7120AT that had EVERYTHING done to it you could do to destroy a hard disk and it STILL kept on going till the platters just filled with bad sectors - which took that drive about 24 years, under darn near daily use for all of those.

Worst Other Drives - Well, there's a whole gaggle of cool looking and actually functioning SCSI hardware like MO Drives and stuff I could never use because the drivers were as obscure as finding a HYTS album signed by the band members. Those Mitsumi CD-ROMs were just as horrible for the same reason, as well as anything else with a proprietary interface. I'd just rather take some old DVD or CD drive from the thrift for $5.00 and slave it off the secondary IDE. That's what I prefer.

Graphics Card - Ah man, this one lives in infamy - the Trident TGUI-9440 PCI! a 1MB, PCI based graphics card, not even accelerated, that DEFAULTS at 72HZ refresh on EVERY graphics mode. I had that in my first Pentium system and I literally had to do a bunch of registry hacking in Windows 98 SE just to make the computer usable, either that or stick to 640X480 because that's the only mode my monitor could handle at such a high refresh rate - which just made the screen very dim and an eyesore - I get Migraines just remembering playing POSTAL on that setup. I very quickly replaced it with an ATI Rage II PCI and junked that card.

Sound Card - TBH I've never had a truly terrible soundcard that I can recall. The worst for me was my old IOMAGIC 1869 AudioDrive ESS card I had in the IBM PC-330 that had some kind of PNP glitch that forced me to go into the IBM's BIOS and cut off access to certain memory addresses and IRQ and force assign them to devices to get it to start up in Windows 98 SE. Both that and for some reason having the "SET BLASTER" environment variable in AUTOEXEC.BAT would cause it to fail.

Network Card - Probably the Intel EtherExpress cards, I've had too many of those that wont' work all of a sudden, just stopped working for no reason. Have one like that right now actually sitting around taking up space in my box.

O/S: The Most Useless award goes to Mac O/S pre OSX. Pay to play Emulators! Useless browsers. Jeebuz, DOS has a better browser than OS 9> - at least I can surf modern non-secure websites with Arachne and they pop up nice and quick with a RAMDrive. Networking is a pain, productivity software otherwise is hard to find unless you REALLY know what you are doing. On my DOS Box I don't need to pay to run NESticle. My 486 can be adminned from my Windows 10 machine no problem. Just stupidity all around.

That said, I have a Mac SE FDHD, it does not get out much. I just use it to play games, usually with a few drinks involved.

Any computer that I am trying to repair that isn't cooperating...... :)

Or a retro build where you (re)discover all of the things that have sucked over the years. I was just trying to put a dual P3 slot 1 system together as a dedicated Windows XP system (need to run some software that doesn't work on newer OS versions) as I had all of the parts on hand, but wanted a bigger ATA hard drive. Bought a still sealed WD 320GB ATA drive on eBay cheap enough (how much bigger did ATA drives get than that before they stopped being made?) and thought I'd be good to go, but then hit the 128GB 28-bit LBA limit of the BIOS, and of course there is no BIOS update for the old motherboard. Windows XP SP1 is supposed to be good with that, but could never get it to install. Remembered I had a SIL3112 PCI-SATA card and finally got Windows XP installed on a SATA drive. Then it took a while to find a somewhat recent browser that would work on Windows XP and didn't need a CPU with SSE2 (picked Firefox 45.0esr). Complain all you want about running Windows 10 on modern systems, but running old OS versions on old systems isn't exactly easy anymore either.

I've got a Dell P4 box that might have been easier to set up, but looked inside and the bulging caps are about to leak everywhere so that was another fail. The capacitor plague has to be up there on the worst computer list.

Windows ME was the same time frame as Windows 2000, not Windows XP. Originally there were no plans for the Windows ME release and the Windows 9x team was mostly disbanded after the Windows 98 SE release. I think the main motivations for it were that Windows 2000 was taking slightly longer than planned to get out and finally replace the Windows 9x line and some OEMs started wanted another interim update, and maybe Microsoft figured why not they could squeeze some more revenue out of another update without a huge development effort. Some of the reasons why it sucked is probably due to only having junior people left to resurrect the development teams and a more freewheeling approach of throwing things in which weren't so well designed. Most of the people working on it at the time knew it sucked. Just my opinions as someone who was there at the time and worked on 98, 98 SE, 2000, and (reluctantly) ME.

OK, but Windows 2000 wasn't supposed to replace 98SE, these two systems were targeted at different users.
Parallel development of two Windows lines - DOS-based and NT-based must've been costly, it was obvious that the DOS line must be killed, but it was also obvious that it wouldn't be easy - millions of users weren't ready for NT/2000/XP's high system requirements, slowdown and poor DOS/Win16 compatibility.
If Windows ME was done right, it would've ruled home PCs for many years, and nobody would want XP.
However, with ME as it was, people just had to move on to XP, as new hardware was making living with 98SE more and more difficult.
Some hardcore gamers kept using 98SE anyway, it was simply faster than XP.

...the Tandy 2000. It's arguable whether or not it was intentionally "crippled" - it was touted as 50% IBM compatible - HA.

I second the Tandy 2000. They used a 80186 to save on overall system cost. However the first few generations of the 186 had a fixed interrupt vector table that was incompatible with the 8259 vector offsets IBM chose for the PC and later AT. If you tried to hook the keyboard interrupt, main timer, any hardware interrupt, or in specific cases tried to call int 10h, 12h, or 13h you may not get what you are expecting. It was a cluster...

Worst CPU - I'd probably say the Pentium 60 and Pentium 66. I've had the 60, that thing lasted 10 minutes before crashing/hanging. I can see why people still bought 486's when those came out aside from the fact they were costly.

Overheating?
I consider early Pentiums pretty good - yes, late 486s were usually faster, but only until one needed FPU.
When first Pentiums were out, hardly anything used FPU, but later there came MP3, Quake, and other stuff, which suddenly rendered even the slowest Pentiums better than 486s.

Shouldn't you update the title to "The worst personal computer of all time?" There were some doozies in the mainframe world.
No.
If there were some truly brain-dead workstations, minis, mainframes, or supercomputers - I'm sooo willing to hear about them.
Even though I doubt if any of them can beat a Celeron 266 running Windows ME with Microsoft Bob, connecting to the Internet via a winmodem, to upload a website created using Microsoft Word with all its HTML Hell :mrgreen:

Overheating?
I consider early Pentiums pretty good - yes, late 486s were usually faster, but only until one needed FPU.
When first Pentiums were out, hardly anything used FPU, but later there came MP3, Quake, and other stuff, which suddenly rendered even the slowest Pentiums better than 486s.

Early Pentiums had the FPU bug so it would be slower than any 486 in floating point if one wanted accurate results. Packard Bell specialized in making cheap Pentium systems by omitting the cache. The net result was a system that performed worse than a 486-66 at everything while costing a lot more and using much more electricity.

No.
If there were some truly brain-dead workstations, minis, mainframes, or supercomputers - I'm sooo willing to hear about them.
Even though I doubt if any of them can beat a Celeron 266 running Windows ME with Microsoft Bob, connecting to the Internet via a winmodem, to upload a website created using Microsoft Word with all its HTML Hell :mrgreen:

The Celeron system would mostly have worked. Contrast that with the Pascal Microengine where a poorly designed motherboard caused frequent crashes. DEC made the Professional, a PDP-11 brilliantly designed with a gorgeous screen and the killer feature of not being able to run most PDP-11 software. DEC also had the DECMate, a PDP-8 wordprocessor that cost what a PDP-8 did back in the 70s. Astonishingly, it didn't do very well against cheaper, faster and better PC based word processors. Data General's Eclipse has a clever memory protection scheme that gave each ring its own unique subset of addresses which became a problem as memory got cheaper. Lilith had another memory problem; it was designed to accept only 256kB. It couldn't take advantage of cheap memory to speed up compiles.

Or how about the Wang 2200? Fine system in the 70s but it continued to be sold through the 80s. One could actually purchase a multiuser BASIC system that ran on cassette tape in 1987!

Even in the micro world, it is difficult to find systems worse than the unholy trinity: Apple III, Coleco Adam, and Sinclair QL. All unusable as initially shipped.

Last edited:
No.

The problem is that few people have knowledge or even second-hand experience with older iron. For example, the Cray 3 had a flaky memory, the square root instruction had issues and in general, the machine wouldn't stay up for long. The MTTR--long and involved. The only machine made (on trial at NCAR) was scrapped.

One Honeywell mainframe that I recall was plagued by algae growing in its water-cooled system.

I don't even need to comment on the CDC STAR-1B, which rarely operated long enough to get an OS compile done.

Personal computer users are spoiled, historically speaking. A simple power failure could and did render a lot of the old iron inoperable for days.

Last edited:
Mine is mostly PC leaning....this is just my experiences....

Worst overall computers - Apple Macintosh - any model pre Intel. After about 5 years, unless you somehow load another O/S on it with decent driver support, it's absolutely useless for anything - networking? Hope you enjoy Appletalk and Adapters? Internet? HA! Gaming? Hope you enjoy broken file handles unless you really know what you are doing. All Apples are user friendly till the day they become obsolete - then they become technician un-friendly. All in ones? Need a special cracker tool and long star driver to get in the bloody case. Of course, this was not always true - but since my vintage computing is in a network/mixed modern/vintage heavy environment, Macs are a REAL pain in the ass.
Wow. Never would have thought to see Macs listed as the worst computer of all time. You must have had lemons or you didn't use them enough. I didn't get my first Mac until 1995, it was a 7200/75 and it was pure awesome for me at the time. Had so much fun with it that I still have a 7200 sitting on my desktop next to more modern Macs and PCs.

AppleTalk? never used it much since most Macs from 95 on had built in 10Base-T and a TCP/IP control panel and later OpenTransport. Very easy to integrate it into a PC network if you know what you are doing. Pre-1995 PowerMacs usually had AAUI connection that easily took a 10Base-T transceiver or 10B2 or whatever was required. Made it dead simple to get on a network. Same with the internet. Go ahead and let a novice DOS/Windows users set up a network card and then configure all the protocols like NetBUI, NetBIOS, WINS, TCP/IP etc. That is why there is and was so many people working in IT/IS/MIS average users couldn't do this stuff. Macs had it out of the box. Configure a couple of control panels or run a couple scripts and you were done.

DOS and Windows always had the edge on games, IMHO. At the time getting sound card, CD-ROM drive and all the other fun things on a multi-media PC, Pre Plug and Play, was a nightmare for many average DOS/Windows users. It was dead simple on a Mac. You plugged it in and it worked. I think Pre-intel Macs were some of the best computers you could own. I was not a fan of switching to Intel. But they had to do something or get left behind and it was obvious PowerPC tech was not being advanced as fast as it could have.

O/S: The Most Useless award goes to Mac O/S pre OSX. Pay to play Emulators! Useless browsers. Jeebuz, DOS has a better browser than OS 9> - at least I can surf modern non-secure websites with Arachne and they pop up nice and quick with a RAMDrive. Networking is a pain, productivity software otherwise is hard to find unless you REALLY know what you are doing. On my DOS Box I don't need to pay to run NESticle. My 486 can be adminned from my Windows 10 machine no problem. Just stupidity all around.
Again, you must not have used it enough as all the things you state that were useless, i found worked so much better at the time compared to DOS/Windows and were dead simple for the average user. Granted without modern memory protection there was some instability if you didn't know about extension conflicts, etc. But it was mostly easy to avoid or fix. No trudging through system files or configuration/ .ini files and later the cludge that became the registry. Windows at the time was famous for blue screening left and right. No thanks. I will take classic Mac OS 7.x - 9.x over anything Windows 10 today! There are still some really cool things that Mac OS did that still is not available on MacOS (X).

So honestly as much as I love DOS PCs, some of the clones that came out in that 286 - Pentium era were some of the worst machines to ever exist.

I'm not sure about Windows 10 yet. I do know that the 32 bit version of Vista totally sucked.

Worst O/S .. Windows 10 - not trying to start any arguments, it's just my opinion. After using windows as my `base` O/S, with VMs for other O/Ses I was having such a bad time with Win.10 that I move to Linux Mint as a base for the VMs. For Windows work I mostly use Win.7 in a VM.

I'm not sure about Windows 10 yet. I do know that the 32 bit version of Vista totally sucked.

Windows 10 has had versions that were as stable as any OS ever produced and other versions that crash every 15 minutes or so. Of course, the updates are pushed out and there is no way to know what the system will be like after the mandatory reboot. Still not the worst OS ever, not even the worst MS has produced.

Back