Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Are vintage computers doomed in the long run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are vintage computers doomed in the long run?

Part of a smaller discussion I had once. Something I think about every time my 88 Thunderbird breaks down.. there's a lot of computer parts in there that are now unobtainable. Obviously with a car this can be mitigated by removing computers if required, but I was wondering... what is the long term fate for vintage computers? How many years before we'd expect most vintage ICs to have failed? Is there a point, say, 200 years out where all vintage machines will essentially be static displays?

Originally posted by falter View Post
    Part of a smaller discussion I had once. Something I think about every time my 88 Thunderbird breaks down.. there's a lot of computer parts in there that are now unobtainable. Obviously with a car this can be mitigated by removing computers if required, but I was wondering... what is the long term fate for vintage computers? How many years before we'd expect most vintage ICs to have failed? Is there a point, say, 200 years out where all vintage machines will essentially be static displays?
    As they say; all things must come to an end. There will be a point where the all of the 'actual' vintage hardware will fail.

However remember that int the future there will be new and better ways of repairing the hardware. Consider 3d printing; what was once a very expensive prototyping tool is now obtainable for home use at a reasonable price. Want to repair some weird plastic bracket or cog? Just CAD it and print it up. Even 10 years ago I wouldn't have believed what I am able to print now.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that something similar will be available for older IC's. The only reason they stopped making things like 8088's is that running huge production lines is no longer financially viable. Once something like a '3d printer for silicon wafers' is invented you could call up some factory in china, order a new 8088, they'll print it up for a fairly low cost and ship it out to you.

Come to think of it in reality this technology already exists with modern FPGA's. Given time you could emulate just about any older digital logic chip (I'll admit analogue IC's are harder). If done correctly the only reason you know it's not the real deal is that the physical package is different.
    System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!

Comment

An 88 T-bird is a breeze to keep going. A 98 is a nightmare.

In 87 GM led the way, and by 96 all cars were electrical disasters. By 2005 they all seemed to get a lot better.

The newest car I ever owned was a 91. My current daily driver is a 90. This is no accident; I have quite a bit of experience working on cars, and I don't want to own anything newer than that if I can avoid it.

My computers will work for my lifetime. If anyone cares to keep them working beyond that, read 3pcedev.
      Be polite and I may let you live.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5NBVfKX5471R9U

Comment

Well let me tell you my "plan" for keeping my original Apple-1 working for the next few generations.

First, every rare board I have ever worked on including my own has been chemically neutralized. That means any left over flux and other contaminates have been removed. This will prevent the board from eating itself. Now this board is from 1976 so it has lead and should not have the tin whisker problem in the future.

I have not only refreshed the electrolytic caps and brought all ceramic caps to the curie point to reset, I have a full set backup set of the correct caps stored in vacuum packed bags. All of this is stored in a temperature controlled bank vault with two complete set of spare chips.

Now this is extreme, but I want to make sure that future generations can enjoy a working Apple-1 one hundred or even two hundred years from now.
        Last edited by Corey986; September 12, 2017, 05:48 AM.

Comment

The problem I see is will anyone in two hundred years understand how to trouble shoot it. Today's engineers don't even know how to read a schematic. Designs are no longer from a schematic.
          Things are changing.
          Dwight

Comment

As long as there is Vintage computers, there will be some whacko, like me, that will just HAVE to keep them going.

There are always renegades who will love the old stuff and, as has been mentioned, printing parts and chips will be commonplace in the future and, someone, somewhere, will be doing it.
            Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

Comment

I know of guys in the restoration business who repair 250 year old clocks and furniture, there will always be people who will have the expertise to fix them. It just will be a very specialized skill and not cheap. It also will be some sort of academic profession or master craftsman. I know that sounds scary, but I'm sure no one thought 250 years ago that someone would need to repair a clock that has worn out. People pay big money to restore them because of custom tooling and recreated parts.

Comment

What I find interesting is the number brands and models that drop off into oblivion.

It seems that if a machine doesn't have graphics and can't run games, it'll be forgotten.

Just the way I see things...
                Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
                  a machine doesn't have graphics and can't run games
                  That's usually the type of machine I go for

Comment

Thanks for all the great insights. To speak to my Thunderbird - in fact, it has a number of specialized computer components that are completely unavailable and unlikely ever to be. For example the early ABS system it has is known to fail due to age - the 'fix' is to convert the car to manual braking; there's no replacement or repair for the ABS computer. What got me on this riff was a restoration guy saying that preserving a car from the 80s in running condition would be more challenging than 50s and 60s solely because of the 'unobtanium' computer parts.

I hadn't thought of 3d printing for something as heavy duty as making an IC. I had long assumed you needed highly specialized facilities (ie. clean room) and skills (well beyond that of a clock maker or car parts fabricator) and special resources to pull that off. I never had a problem envisioning a car guy reproducing a long obsolete part - it's really just a matter of time and material and mastering the skill. I figured when you got into something as intricate as an IC you were into a whole other universe of difficulty.

However, does my concern still stand? If 100 years from now most vintage computers are running on 3d printed aftermarket parts, are they really vintage anymore? Would it be better from an historical standpoint to just leave failed machines as is (as some Apple 1 owners have elected to do) and go with emulation for the experience?

Comment

Valuation tends to dictate the outcomes - unrestored classic cars can be more valuable than those that have been kept pretty since new and re-everythinged as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by Corey986 View Post
                        I know of guys in the restoration business who repair 250 year old clocks and furniture, there will always be people who will have the expertise to fix them. It just will be a very specialized skill and not cheap. It also will be some sort of academic profession or master craftsman. I know that sounds scary, but I'm sure no one thought 250 years ago that someone would need to repair a clock that has worn out. People pay big money to restore them because of custom tooling and recreated parts.
                        I know average guys who restore 250 year old clocks in their homes, including making replacement parts. The only difference between those and the guys restoring 100 year old radios at home is that they don't usually do any machining.

Both of these things for the most part involve commodity items that like you say, were intended to last round 20 years.

But there certainly were clocks (and furniture, etc.) that were intended to last generations. They were built in a way so that not only did the originally parts last a century or more, they would easily be repaired at any time.

Now there were radios made with the intention of lasting generations, too, and depending on how you view restoration, that may or may not be possible. But, I don't know that anyone ever designed a computer to last more than 20 years.

Clocks were and are (good ones) made so that a skilled clockmaker can completely rebuild them from nothing if need be. Clearly there are hobbyists who can and do achieve this. Perhaps that's analogous to the future computer hobbyists who "3D print" integrated circuits. It's interesting to watch how old radios are in the early stages of this. There actually are a small number of hobbyists making their own electronic components for them, now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck(G) View Post
                          What I find interesting is the number brands and models that drop off into oblivion.

It seems that if a machine doesn't have graphics and can't run games, it'll be forgotten.

Just the way I see things...
                          Just like eventually collectors will be paired down to Apple, IBM, and Commodore. The same way that car collectors mostly only want Ford, Chevy and Dodges. And they put aftermarket Chevy engines in their Fords, just like clone AT parts power many old Apples now.

When's the last time you saw someone driving a an old Kissel? The number of automakers once in just the United States alone is staggering.

Comment

At some point, someone will start making reproduction chips. I've already heard about an organization that was considering setting up a SSI chip fab. It will not be inexpensive, but I think it will happen, sooner or later, probably later.

At the moment, unless you are looking for 60's era IC's there seem to be an ample supply of most kinds of ICs, though a few single source types can be difficult to find.

regards,
                            Mike Willegal

Originally posted by falter View Post

Comment

Originally posted by mwillegal View Post
                              At some point, someone will start making reproduction chips. I've already heard about an organization that was considering setting up a SSI chip fab. It will not be inexpensive, but I think it will happen, sooner or later, probably later.

At the moment, unless you are looking for 60's era IC's there seem to be an ample supply of most kinds of ICs, though a few single source types can be difficult to find.

regards,
                              Mike Willegal
                              Yes there is definitely a decent stock. When I embarked on my TVT project I thought 'no way will I be able to get ICs from 1974 or earlier'. Turned out to be the easiest part of the process. Same with my Mark-8.. I was warned I'd never find the 8263s and 8267.. I ended up finding 10 of each and most were 1974 vintage. But yeah, I wonder about what the guy said about 'radioactive decay' or whatever it was.. if they're rotting even while sitting unused.

Comment

Working...
                              X