• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

maben.homeip.net

pjh

Experienced Member
This question may have already been discussed in the forum. Does anyone have any information on why the MABEN website can no longer be accessed. It was a rich resource for an extensive list of vintage computer manufacturers.

Is it down to be reworked? Is there a mirror of the site? Will it be back up at some time in the future?

Phillip

So yes, hello there all.

maben.homeip.net was taken out by me when dynDns was free. Then they begin to charge and I was sort of sucked in since I did not of course want to change the URL. I kept it going with the charges et al for a while but then as people have rightly commented concurrently ran for some time amaus.net as an alias

When we moved from my almost infinite and I do mean almost infinite Fibre speed connection in Switzerland to the UK I managed to get back up amaus.net on a slower than slow copper connection. We are still waiting for the fibre connection, but now the provider says they want a 5 figure sum in GBP (I am not joking) to make the final wiring and then that does not include the cost of the fibre rental. We are currently in dispute.

Meanwhile, as a Computer professional and anticipating potential issues in the move from Switzerland to the UK I bought as a backup amaus.org and mirrored it from amaus.net

You are correct the /static subdirectory in particular is useful.

http://amaus.org/static/S100/

Right now I make changes local to amaus.net which I host in England on the slowest internet line in the world

Every night I push via rsync to amaus.org so that the 2 sites should be no more than 24 hours out of sync

I also modified the apache footer of amaus.net to mention amaus.org

That is about it really. We bought our house in the UK on the specific promise of the Internet Fibre being connected and we even gave them 6 months to connect it. This promise is now broken and I am more than upset. Sorry to air this level of detail in public, but it is rather upsetting to me.

---

Anyway back to the plot. I plan to keep both amaus.net and amaus.org up and running well into the future and also note they are now https.

regards

Marcus Bennett.

Thanks for the quick replies from all. Sorry to hear of the hassle with the original URL but glad to see it is available at another address. Rich vintage computer resources like this are always sad to loose.

Phillip

Back