• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ESA opposes preserving old titles by museums

I don't think they are worried about somebody making a few grand a year hosting a retro gaming server, they are worried about people playing the old games instead of paying $20+ a month for the newer ones.

Uh-huh.
Watch me.

Blizzard and the World of Warcraft comes to mind. They absolutely refuse to operate vanilla servers even thought there is a sizeable enough community and shoot down anyone who attempts to release their own emulation of the vanilla servers.
"You can't run that! WE said it's dead!"

Blizzard quit making stand alone games once they got the online gravy train going. I was so mad when Diablo III was online only.

At BlizzCon 2017, Blizzard announced that it is developing a classic server option that provides a way to experience the game before any of its expansions launched <=== from the wiki so they are still doing something with it.

Big surprise there. They are worried the museums will create and infrastructure to allow play, charge for it, and compete with the original copyright holders....

EnGadget Article

notsurprisedkirk.jpg

I don't think they are worried about somebody making a few grand a year hosting a retro gaming server, they are worried about people playing the old games instead of paying $20+ a month for the newer ones.

Actually they are worried about that because legally that creates a basis for other people to do things. However, the real issue is the someone, like CHM, is not about to setup a server for Warcraft to make money. This is just a poor excuse for them to maintain a stranglehold on IP.

Back