Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Thicknet/10base5 Ethernet: A Test Setup, Cable and Parts Available!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thicknet/10base5 Ethernet: A Test Setup, Cable and Parts Available!

album with descriptions: https://imgur.com/a/GDUR36j

A couple months ago, folks were discussing thicknet/10base5 on cctalk, and the topic of cable availability came up. I mentioned it to one of my local parts suppliers, who said he had a full roll of thicknet somewhere in the warehouse. Last week, this came home with me:

It's a full roll -- 1100 feet of Belden 89880 Ethernet cable! It's quite heavy Ethernet coax is its own thing, but is dimensionally similar to RG-8/U or LMR-400. N connector terminations intended for RG-8/U will work fine. I sourced a bunch of mil-spec AMP N female connectors for this project. Typically you see thicknet terminated in N male connectors, but using a female means you don't need a F:F joiner to hook the terminator on:

The quad shielding is especially fun to work with. I don't have a 3-level coax stripper that will handle cable this large, so I had to use one of my 2-level strippers and work it back a little further with a knife. I did manage to stick a braid strand into my finger and make it bleed. Hadn't had to touch thicknet since CCNA days in high school, and even then it was covered only because Cisco hadn't taken it out yet, and because the instructor thought we might have to one day tap in to an existing thicknet backbone. Still remembered how to do it, not that it's particularly complex. Here's the "close" end:

It's a Cabletron ST-500 transceiver with an AMP "non-intrusive" vampire tap kit, which makes it the ST-500-01. It's "non-intrusive" because you don't have to cut the cable to install it. You bolt the tap on, core out a hole for the "stinger" contact, and then screw the stinger contact in with the other end of the coring tool. Then it bolts to the transceiver. Remember to set the SQE (heartbeat) switch, or you have to remove the tap from the transceiver! The AUI cable on the left goes to the Sun-proprietary AUI port on the SPARCstation 10. Yes, I did have to connect to IRC over thicknet

This is the "far" end, the DEChub 90 relocated to a stack of boxes near the end of the thicknet cable. Another Cabletron ST-500 here as well, connected to a DECbridge 90FL module, which provides AUI and 10baseFL fiber. This was too far away from the Cisco 2801 router that the DEChub usually talks to, via a DECbrouter 90T1, so I just connected it to the main network over 10baseT with a DECrepeater 90TS.

So, there you go, a thicknet segment brought up in 2018! Required tools include the AMP 228917-1 coring tool, hex key (comes with AMP tool), N connector crimp dies (I used Paladin 2039 dies in a CrimpALL 8000 frame), wire cutters, coax stripper and/or knife, small screwdriver, and heavy cable cutters. I've got around 1080 feet of Belden 89880 coax, so if anyone is wanting their own thicknet cable, PM me! I can provide any level of "kit," from just the cable up to crimped-on N connectors, terminators, and tap kits. I have a very few Cabletron ST-500-01 transceiver/tap kits new in the box, including the instruction manual. The one thing I don't have a bunch of is AUI cables, but I have a source online that I'm happy to pass on.

If you want to install your own vampire taps but don't want to buy the AMP tool for it, you *can* use a drill and a steady hand.
    Last edited by glitch; June 25, 2018, 01:24 PM.
    Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services | Glitch Works Tindie Store -- Vintage Computer Kits and More

You're bringing back old nightmares of trying to find the reason a network went down...

Pretty stuff, though. I don't know why I'm hanging onto a garbage bag full of RG-58 (thinnet)--I haven't been able to give it away, even locally.

Comment

i still keep a few BNC switches lying around. I should build a legacy network. But at the same time Id be tempted to build a type 1 token ring network.. Christ I miss token ring. Remember Olicom? They were my goto for TR cards.

Comment

I still keep a 3com hub that had coax along with ethernet and aui just incase I go insane and want to relive coax networking (and a few cables). Also have a Tokenring hub along with cards for pretty much all systems (even Nubus mac and Pcmcia for laptops).

Not sure how much I would do with either but it sounded like a good idea at the time.
        What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
        Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
        Boxed apps and games for the above systems
        Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Comment

Just confirmed an order for "intrusive" type taps with N connectors. Those look like this:

Not my picture. Note that contrary to what the picture conveys, we were told that one does not typically screw the N terminator directly to the tap like that. We were told to use a jumper to extend the segment somewhat past the tap, and put the terminator on the jumper. I'm not 100% sure on why that's done. It was suggested on cctalk that it might be too short a distance between the impedance bump of the tap and the end of the transmission line. In any case, I will have 40x of those on the way soon, which should make the existing surplus stock of transceivers with no taps far more useful
          Check out The Glitch Works | My Retro Projects | Vintage Computer Services | Glitch Works Tindie Store -- Vintage Computer Kits and More

Comment

Originally posted by glitch View Post
            I will have 40x of those on the way soon...
            What ARE you building?

I used to have my systems connected via thin Ethernet, and I'd agree with most that the thick version is a much better design. But all that wire. Currently I'm resetting up my token ring network, For the older thick stuff, If I were going to do it, I'd use something like DELNI. Much more compact and practical. But then practical isn't always the funnest method.
            EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Comment

Was the DELNI actually a hub or a multi-attachment transceiver? I know there *were* multi-attachment transceivers, Allied Telesyn made them, certainly others too. AFAIK they didn't factor in to the 5-4-3 rule, but did mean you could have several AUI drops off one Ethernet tap.

I'm mostly just acquiring parts to resell to other hobbyists. I figure, buy in bulk, get the price down, and make stuff that's practically unobtainium in hobbyist quantities generally available to others. People say they're interested in this stuff but aren't able to get the parts to make it happen. I've got the working capital and supply chain resources and space, and I ship a lot of stuff anyway for my day-job. So, maybe vintage network stuff can be like the XT-IDE kits turned out: something that people want, that I can get the price down on, and factor in to what's increasingly becoming part of my day-job anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by mR_Slug View Post
                What ARE you building?

I used to have my systems connected via thin Ethernet, and I'd agree with most that the thick version is a much better design. But all that wire. Currently I'm resetting up my token ring network, For the older thick stuff, If I were going to do it, I'd use something like DELNI. Much more compact and practical. But then practical isn't always the funnest method.
                Shhhh. I wanna see where this is going as I think I know where he's going but I was not able to source much beyond cabling last year.
                Hold his beer for a minute and watch where it goes.
                [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Comment

Originally posted by glitch View Post
                  Just confirmed an order for "intrusive" type taps with N connectors. Those look like this:

Not my picture. Note that contrary to what the picture conveys, we were told that one does not typically screw the N terminator directly to the tap like that. We were told to use a jumper to extend the segment somewhat past the tap, and put the terminator on the jumper. I'm not 100% sure on why that's done. It was suggested on cctalk that it might be too short a distance between the impedance bump of the tap and the end of the transmission line. In any case, I will have 40x of those on the way soon, which should make the existing surplus stock of transceivers with no taps far more useful
                  That is my picture, and I do specifically say (on the page this was taken from) that attaching terminators to N-Connector taps is not the 'done thing'

I would imagine the stipulated length of the jumper to extend beyond the last node was 2.5M in length.
                  Last edited by inaxeon; November 8, 2018, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X