• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5150 defiled...

It's a high quality mod of the chassis, but there are some odd things about it, almost as if it was made my someone who has only even seen a picture or two of the 5150.

The fo-floppy drives are in upside down, and are half height. 2 full height drives would have been much better. The power switch on the back is cool, but why the heck did they not put it in the place it was originally, instead of covering that hole with a sticker. that would have been much better, and then they could have put the actualy ATX on switch on the right corner. You'd have to reach over and hit it, just like you would have on the original 5150.

I do like the fact that they used an 8086K proc, even though the 5150 was an 8088 proc originally, but I consider that one close enough.

A very nice piece of creativity. That setup would look good in anyone's den. For you purists out there, not much different than cramming a LS7 into a 32 Ford. I'm wondering what the cost was or did I miss something.
Also, noticed he was getting 5 gig on that ASRock Fatal1ty mobo.

That thing is cool as shit. But I wish they'd put the floppy faces right-side up and the power switch in the right place. SO close.

I'm willing to bet surviving cases are a bit more common than still-working original motherboards. May as well use 'em.

I was thinking to do something similar with the empty (knockoff) XT case I have (using my free AM2 SLI board ;) ), but don't have the skills & tools to make the necessary metalwork look nice.

I will admit, it looks pretty damn nice. the 8086 is a nice touch. I just hope a working machine wasn't gutted to do this.

at the end of the day, it is what it is. If people are happy then who am I to piss in their cereal? I have several, I don't need more, I just want an opportunity to get one of those monitor covers.

A very nice piece of creativity. That setup would look good in anyone's den. For you purists out there, not much different than cramming a LS7 into a 32 Ford. I'm wondering what the cost was or did I miss something.
Also, noticed he was getting 5 gig on that ASRock Fatal1ty mobo.

I thought the same thing when I saw it.... however on reflection I think it's more like cramming an LS7 into a GM product.

To get the full GM into Ford effect someone should put a modern x86 system into something with a different architecture all together. A Macintosh II case is probably big enough.......

Back