• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

windows 3.X pc speaker sound driver

VERAULT

Veteran Member
many years ago before someone threw away all my old floppy disks. I remember a windows pc-speaker sound driver that would let you play simple sounds (possibly just wav's) out your pc speaker. I remember using it on my first laptop, the compaq LTE lite 4/33c since it didnt have a built in sound card.

I also remember getting it to work on early windows 95 (maybe version 0 and A)

Anyway, I dont have it anymore and was wondering if someone here has a copy. Also, will it work on windows 3.0 and how badly would it run on a 286? I have a few machines in mind to use it on so let me know if you have it or at least remember it. thanks

It will run on a 286 but it has problems. The system will only be playing sound; no mouse movement, no keyboard response, nothing else will operate until the sound stops playing. Fast 386 or a 486 can be a functional system with the speaker driver enabled but don't try to play long sound files.

It has an option to allow the CPU to do other things while sound is playing, but then the sound will be choppy.

I used to have a speaker driver on my windows 3.1 - it seemed to work perfectly well without issues.

Back