• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

BBSing on Vintage Hardware

blakespot

Experienced Member
Love the IRC on vintage hardware thread, so I thought I'd start a thread regarding the use of vintage systems to dial or otherwise connect to (telnet, etc.) bulletin board systems.

The main thing I use my various vintage systems for nowadays is BBSing. Thanks to the WiFi232, it's been quite easy to do. I mainly use my Apple IIe and Amiga 1000 for BBSing, though I also use the Tandy 1000HX system I put together recently, from time to time.

Here's my IIe in action online, at telnet BBS Gold Mine GS (hmm, haven't checked in there for a while). It's using ProTerm Special emulation, specific to the terminal program ProTerm, utilizing the extended "MouseText" character set that's part of the 128K enhanced IIe, the //c, and the IIgs.

33446714928_ff9f56d6cf_b.jpg

bp

I also use the Tandy 1000HX system I put together recently, from time to time.

In a recent video I did showing off my prototype Tandy Plus Bus expansion cards I included a brief roundup of telnet BBS splash screens that I reached using a PPP packet driver and mTCP's telnet program through a null modem cable. The telnet program seems to work amazingly well, despite the fact that otherwise EPPPD seems to not really be *quite* adequately performant on such slow hardware. But just using a terminal program instead of PPP to a host computer or something like the WiFi232 is almost certainly a better option if you don't have an Ethernet card.

In a recent video I did showing off my prototype Tandy Plus Bus expansion cards I included a brief roundup of telnet BBS splash screens that I reached using a PPP packet driver and mTCP's telnet program through a null modem cable. The telnet program seems to work amazingly well, despite the fact that otherwise EPPPD seems to not really be *quite* adequately performant on such slow hardware. But just using a terminal program instead of PPP to a host computer or something like the WiFi232 is almost certainly a better option if you don't have an Ethernet card.
Very nice -- prototype PLUS cards. I'd love to see -- can you share the video link? Thanks.

I ended up with the 640K RAM expansion from Tandy (which I had to purchase a whole EX setup to acquire for my HX, and not cheaply...) and then two PLUS to ISA adapters. I've got a dual 16550 UART serial card and a lotech IDE interface w/ CF card in there. Upgraded the CPU to V20, as well. I'll post as photo of the EX BBSing next.

bp

BBSing on the Tandy 1000HX equipped with NEC V20, 640K, dual-16550 UART serial card, lo-tek XT-IDE controller and CF drive. WiFi232 on the serial line.

48699702707_ca9fb2df83_b.jpg

Got the core of this system locally last December, expanded it over the next 3-4 months.

bp

Great to see folks still running BBSes, and other folks actually still using them!

Love the IRC on vintage hardware thread, so I thought I'd start a thread regarding the use of vintage systems to dial or otherwise connect to (telnet, etc.) bulletin board systems.

The main thing I use my various vintage systems for nowadays is BBSing. Thanks to the WiFi232, it's been quite easy to do. I mainly use my Apple IIe and Amiga 1000 for BBSing, though I also use the Tandy 1000HX system I put together recently, from time to time.

Here's my IIe in action online, at telnet BBS Gold Mine GS (hmm, haven't checked in there for a while). It's using ProTerm Special emulation, specific to the terminal program ProTerm, utilizing the extended "MouseText" character set that's part of the 128K enhanced IIe, the //c, and the IIgs.

bp

I spy a framed Robo City on the wall. Where in the world did that come from? Was that released in a print like that at some point or did you make it?

I spy a framed Robo City on the wall. Where in the world did that come from? Was that released in a print like that at some point or did you make it?

It's a rare one -- I've never seen another. :) I found it on eBay long ago.

Here's a better shot of it, and if you page through the related photos in that gallery there are some other unusual / rare posters that I prize. Cheers.

bp

Wonderful environment you have setup for yourself. One of the nicest vintage computer areas I've seen. You should definitely post over a Vogons' "post up pics of your "computing area"" thread if you get a chance as I know a lot of members there would also love to see your framed art collection and systems. Really cool.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=23136&start=1360

Just got my Apple IIgs (equipped with an Uthernet Ethernet board) telnetting out to BBS'. Very impressed with the combo of the hardware and the Spectrum terminal software.

49426283722_ca49b92977_c.jpg

bp

Back