Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

My 8086 Deskpro is on its last legs.....Upgrade time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good thing when I got my 8086 Deskpro when it was new they gave me these with it instead of the 8086 version.

Comment

Looks like the 286 motherboard is the "COMPAQ COMPUTER CORPORATION 286 DESKPRO 286 (VERSION 2)" on Stason.org's site.

Dissembled the Deskpro enough to remove the 8086 motherboard and now I am comparing them.

Looks like the 286 motherboard does not have a header for the speed LED, manual says it uses beeps instead.
      I was hoping I could keep it but would defiantly would lose it if I go with the 486 board, but beeps are ok and maybe I could repurposed the LED.

Well getting ready for the smoke test. LOL

Comment

Passed the smoke test, no pops or smoke of any kind.

Power LED on the motherboard lights up.

Last edited by Klee; October 23, 2021, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Plugged in the video card and connected the monitor and it test's the ram and gives a keyboard and other errors since nothing else is installed.

Just wanted to know if it would post.

Looking good so far.

Comment

Can't get rid of the 301- Keyboard error.

Tried three keyboards, two original Deskpro ones plus a generic AT-XT switchable keyboard.

Steady beeps until I pull the keyboard plug out.

Got rid of the security lock keyboard error, Stason.org has a couple of errors in the listing for the jumpers. J119 and J115 are swapped.

Tried reseating the bios and keyboard chips.

Comment

Looks like the #5 keyboard pin, the +5v pin, shows zero volts.

So i'll take the board back out and give it a look over to see if I can find any damaged traces.
              Last edited by Klee; October 24, 2021, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Did a quick hack, desoldered the #5 din pin wire going to the motherboard and ran a +5 wire from a molex connector.

No more error and keyboard works.

Need to do a more permanent fix directly on the motherboard.

Next is to install a floppy drive controller card and floppy drive.

Comment

It boots!!

Only installed the minimum hardware so far and ran some tests.

Comment

Found the issue with the 286 motherboard, the pico fuse F2 is blown. Thats the fuse that protects the keyboard +5 volt line.

The second pin from the bottom on the J116 connector is what supplys the +5 to the keyboard. It goes to component L4 then the trace goes to F2 fuse.

Naturally I do not have any pico fuses, the 8086 motherboard uses much easier to change glass fuses.

I found a pack of fuses on Ebay, older ones that are a close match and also rated at 5A like the two on the 286 motherboard.

So no running a repair wire needed to fix it, but I will have to wait a few days on the fuses.

This is one of the many reasons I really like vintage computers, much easier to troubleshoot AND fix than newer pc stuff.

Comment

Replacing that fuse did the trick. No more keyboard error or needing a +5v jumper wire.

Comment

I ordered some eproms and flashed them to REV S.1, the latest version I found.

It works!! and the INSPECT program on the Compaq setup disk correctly shows the new ROM version.

Now I can have a 1.44 mb floppy without the 2M-XBIOS.EXE workaround. I currently have a 1.2 mb floppy temporarily installed.

Will install my new in the box Pine Technology PT-104 hard drive and floppy controller card in a day or two.

Will need to decide what hard drive to install, i'm leaning towards a Seagate 89 mb drive since its a bit noisy like the original 20mb MFM drive. But that might change since its a little tall to fit the custom 3.5 drive bracket I made using a old Seagate MFM front cover and LED.

Since it has 16 bit ISA slots that opens up some more cards I can use, sound and network especially since I have tons of those.

So far I am VERY pleased on how its turning out.

Last edited by Klee; November 15, 2021, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Just a little update, I had a little trouble booting off the 1.44 floppy drive.

Ended up having to boot a 720k floppy with the setup program to configure it as a 1.44 mb drive and then after a reboot it then boots fine off of 1.4mb floppys

I installed Concurrent DOS XM 6.0 and it runs fine, defiantly ALOT different than MS-DOS. So much more going on.

Still learning the OS.

The memory settings are a bit of a learning curve but I am able to give a max of 640K ram to DOS programs, never freed up that much in MS-DOS.

Ran a couple of programs off a floppy just for a quick test.

Last edited by Klee; November 29, 2021, 06:11 PM.

Comment

I just picked up the 286 deskpro. I don't know if I have a power supply problem or a short on the motherboard. power supply with no load spins up the fan and runs. If I hook it to the motherboard with nothing else no cards no drives nothing it just power cycles very quickly. Not wanting to spend a small fortune on a replacement supply I was thinking of building a cable and using an older AT style PSU. Also, the service manual recommends the 192 watt PSU you may be running the 160 watt one since it was an 8086 to begin with.

Comment

https://www.pcjs.org/machines/pcx86/compaq/deskpro286/

Lots of technical documents on the Deskpro 286 in the above link.

Should give you the info to diagnose what is wrong.

It might not be the power supply that is bad, could be a short in a expansion card or on the motherboard itself.

My Deskpro's power supply went bad about ten or twelve years ago and was replaced by a NOS Compaq power supply, I bought a couple about fifteen years ago. I don't remember what they are rated at but have had zero issues so far. The original power supply's fan was 110v but the replacement is 12v and also the internals are a bit different.

I want to give all the OS's that will work on the board a try, Compaq DOS ver 3.31, 4.01 and 5.0. OS/2 1.10 Compaq OEM, and finally Xenix 286.

I installed Microsoft OS/2 ver 1.10 Compaq OEM tonight, I had to convert the images to 1.44 mm floppys since my last box of unopened 1.2 mb floppys were all unusable as none would format without errors.

The install went great and after I rebooted I installed Microsoft Word 5.5 and it runs fine.

The OS/2 GUI is a bit different and bare but with either OS/2 or the DOS command windows full screen they are fine.

Still learning the OS.

So far I like Compaq DOS 5.0 the best on the upgraded 286 board, probibly because I am more failure with it that the other OS's.

Concurrent DOS XM on a 286 feels kludgy but I will defiantly give Concurrent DOS 386 a try on a 486 with its much better memory handling ans its ability to deal seamlessly with both DOS and CP/M floppy's since that will be handy when I build a 8088 pc just for CP/M-86.
                              Last edited by Klee; Yesterday, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X