Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Back to dial-up in 2021!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to dial-up in 2021!

So after being constantly frustrated with my ISP for over a year I have decided to go back to something I know, good ol' dial up. I've been using it now for a few days and I'm very pleasently surprised by just how well it still seems to work. I'm getting consistand 30-40Kbps connection speeds and I'm not getting randomly knocked off the internet like you might expect out of such a dying form of connection. Also believe it or not I actually have 1/4 the ping with dial-up than I had with my previous provider (down to 300-400 from 2000!) so at least as far as gaming and the such goes dial-up is actually FASTER than the high-speed I had before it. I must thank dialup4less and their one loan support tech who still mans the phones everyday to this day. I'm so happy that I can still enjoy dial-up in the modern era AND it's even saving me tons of money by being dirt cheap.

How many minutes did it take to load this website for you to post this?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

Originally posted by Trixter View Post
      How many minutes did it take to load this website for you to post this?
      Actually it takes no more than 10-15 seconds on average. If it's really chugging at 30+K it'll load it 5ish

Comment

With those ping times, it sounds like you had some sort of satellite internet like HughesNet.

Dialup is of course going to have a far lower latency because the satellites that most current satellite internet providers use are in high earth orbit, around 22,000 miles away from earth. Assuming a 100% perfect theoretical connection, the lowest latency you could expect is 260ms, but due to how HughesNet and other providers buffer packets before sending/receiving them, it ends up being usually several seconds at best. So it's great for general web usage, but terrible for everything else. Some providers also use dialup in conjunction with satellite. A common setup is using the satellite for the downlink and dialup for the uplink since historically, you're pulling in data far more than you're sending out.

Gaming and video streams are terrible on satellite internet, at least the old high earth orbit based internet. Tesla's StarLink and Amazon's Project Kupier have satellites in very low earth orbit and avoid the problems of high latency by a shorter distance and better uplink gear. If you live out in podunk, you may consider StarLink. It's expensive to start because you have to buy the equipment though.

But you're definitely not getting 30-40 kbyte/sec on dialup, that's impossible. The fastest dialup standard to be widely deployed (56k) has a maximum speed of 7 kbytes/sec. Your provider is most likely doing some sort of compression, which was common in the waning days of dialup back in the early 2000s. Netzero dialup touted it in their advertisements back in the day by loading pages so many times faster than their competitors using compression. This however only worked on pages with little multimedia content.

Comment

We're on the brink of having the new low orbit satellite internet providers going live. Those are going to be far better experiences for folks living in remote area that aren't hardwired.

Comment

Originally posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
            With those ping times, it sounds like you had some sort of satellite internet like HughesNet.

Dialup is of course going to have a far lower latency because the satellites that most current satellite internet providers use are in high earth orbit, around 22,000 miles away from earth. Assuming a 100% perfect theoretical connection, the lowest latency you could expect is 260ms, but due to how HughesNet and other providers buffer packets before sending/receiving them, it ends up being usually several seconds at best. So it's great for general web usage, but terrible for everything else. Some providers also use dialup in conjunction with satellite. A common setup is using the satellite for the downlink and dialup for the uplink since historically, you're pulling in data far more than you're sending out.

Gaming and video streams are terrible on satellite internet, at least the old high earth orbit based internet. Tesla's StarLink and Amazon's Project Kupier have satellites in very low earth orbit and avoid the problems of high latency by a shorter distance and better uplink gear. If you live out in podunk, you may consider StarLink. It's expensive to start because you have to buy the equipment though.

But you're definitely not getting 30-40 kbyte/sec on dialup, that's impossible. The fastest dialup standard to be widely deployed (56k) has a maximum speed of 7 kbytes/sec. Your provider is most likely doing some sort of compression, which was common in the waning days of dialup back in the early 2000s. Netzero dialup touted it in their advertisements back in the day by loading pages so many times faster than their competitors using compression. This however only worked on pages with little multimedia content.

Yeah when I say 30-40Kbps I mean kiloBITS per second. And I switched back to dial-up for two reasons. 1. being that hughsnet is unreliable and annoying as hell to deal with on a day to day basis. And 2 is because I honestly hate the internet and about 82.3 percent of the people on it so I honestly love being mostly disconnected from it. So dial-up's natural slowness is nothing more than another reason for me to stay away from the degenerate hell known as the world wide web.

Comment

You mean kilobits/sec. But I think the founders meant kilobaud. They're not exactly the same thing as I understand it.

Comment

Yes. "Baud" is the measure of "symbols" per second. So, a 2400 bps connection (note small 'b') using QAM passes 600 symbols per second. Practically speaking, the limit for a voice grade line is 2400 baud. Higher bitrates are achieved through sophisticated modulation and encoding.

That being said, in a wire-connected PC-to-PC setup, baud = bits per second.

Question for the OP: May I assume that you're using the mobile version of the VCF forum pages and not the full-blown desktop/graphical ones?

Comment

I seem to recall the download utilities like xmodem and zmodem using CPS or characters per second for downloads.

Comment

My ISP offers dial-up as sort of a backup. I even tested it the other day and it still worked.

It's enough to check my mail, pull up soylentnews, and a couple of other web sites including this one. During an outage some years back I had to use it to pull up some "important" site. I forget what that was now, but it took forever to load and do whatever it was, perhaps half an hour.

I think more web developers should be forced to use dial-up.

Comment

Is it even possible to get a true copper loop phone line anymore?

Comment

I don't believe it's previously occurred to me that baud is derived from baudot. Better late then never.

Comment

Originally posted by maxtherabbit View Post
                          Is it even possible to get a true copper loop phone line anymore?
                          In most places in the US it’s required to be available, but I’ve heard some people have had a very hard time actually getting it delivered in some neighborhoods. I’ve been tempted to get one for nostalgia, but I can see the box at the and of the street. It looks like it’s been hit by every car and truck in the neighborhood and most of the time is covered in a plastic bag. I cannot imagine the quality is what it once was.

Comment

Originally posted by jafir View Post
                            I seem to recall the download utilities like xmodem and zmodem using CPS or characters per second for downloads.
                            True, because async has overhead; e.g. start and stop bits, though the "stop" bit is just a pause of some fixed duration. That's why, for example, 134.5 bps used for Selectric terminals is spec-ed at 1.5 stop bits.

Comment

I used dial-up regularly as a backup ISP until 2018, unfortunately since I have moved into a house without working landlines I have no hope of ever going back (at least until I move again). Unforunately too slow for those awful Gurgle-controlled websites like Meet anyways, though it was great for Spectrum outages (good God I hate Spectrum) or even power outages (as the phone lines usually stay up even without power). As long as you avoid heavy websites bogged down with unnecessary JavaScript, dial-up is actually very usable in 2021. Good enough to check my email, various forums including this site and TalkWeather, DuckDuckGo, NOAA/National Weather Service websites, among others.

You also have a point about the internet being mostly full of... well, inconsiderate people to say the absolute least.
                              Vintage computer systems and peripherals I'm currently looking for:
                              IBM PS/2 Model P70, Compaq Contura 3/25, Any Toshiba Libretto laptop from the Libretto 50CT up to the 110CT, Commodore 1541 disk drive in working condition.

Send a PM if you are interested in selling any of these items to me. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X