• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

the Singulariy

tipc

Banned
Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Ce
We're not there yet, but are rapidly approaching an infinitesimal point where no vintage computers are operational. All the original ic's have bit the dust, they're beyond any sort of (practical) repair.

Clearly this hobby will always have interested parties, in fact I'd wager it's going to continue to grow, with early adopters leveling off and whatnot.

With the inevitable on the event horizon, I'll shortly place an order for The C64 Maxi. There are a few on ebay at relatively high prices. But it's ~130$ shipped on Amazon.

Your comments please.

We're not there yet, but are rapidly approaching an infinitesimal point where no vintage computers are operational. All the original ic's have bit the dust, they're beyond any sort of (practical) repair.

Clearly this hobby will always have interested parties, in fact I'd wager it's going to continue to grow, with early adopters leveling off and whatnot.

With the inevitable on the event horizon, I'll shortly place an order for The C64 Maxi. There are a few on ebay at relatively high prices. But it's ~130$ shipped on Amazon.

Your comments please.

I have an "original" new in the box but it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Have you used it??? WHy in tarnation is it in the box?

I plan to sell it in the near future as it is collector/museum quality, right down to the original rubber bands that have partially disintegrated. It came from an estate sale of an appliance store owner who had it in the backroom, on shelf, and never used it.

LOL you have a Commodore 64, not a C64 Maxi, which is a reproduction.

Ok, you did state "original". I guess I glossed over that. My mistake.

After running the serial number on a search I think it's around 1985-86-ish.

I don't understand the point of an imitation of the original case to house an emulator.

Just to jog one's memory and get the nostalgic juices flowing again? If you stuffed it all in an Apple costume no one would give it a second look.

I don't understand the point of an imitation of the original case to house an emulator.

I realize it's not a chip for chip repro of a C64, I wasn't aware it was an emulator per se. Is this like a RasPi running a Commie emulation program?
If that's the case, I may not be interested.

As to recapturing the original look and feel, I can't understand why someone who has any interest in the hobby wouldn't want that. There's instances where
I myself might take say an actual vintage motherboard, and rehome it in a different case, also vintage or otherwise. But some hardware really should look
like the original. It's nothing I'm able to explain. It's just a personal preference I guess.

Although I've owned both in the past, I prefer a breadbin C64 to the later C64c. Not on account of superiority of the hardware, the later edition may have been
higher quality. I just prefer the look of the original.

I dont collect "minis" nor the modern "reproductions" Doesnt really make sense to me.. its somewhat the same as running original hardware vs an emulator. Half if not most of the fun is running original hardware or fixing original hardware. I just finished Watching Adrian Blacks videos of the prototype VicII chip replacement. That is what I want to see more of; modern replacements for old parts.. not complete reproductions. Granted some may call the "mini PET" a reproduction.. but I think that item is on the edge of both sides of the argument. But Again, I own a real Pet 2001-8... Thats just how I am I suppose.

that's what I would prefer also. It's a question of how or if that'll happen for every component on a C64.

In the absence of that, I might opt for a repro. But after just watching a video, I'm less interested. I could always fenagle a friggin
lookalike case and stick an arm sbc in it myself. Maybe s/w emulation is fine after all ...

that's what I would prefer also. It's a question of how or if that'll happen for every component on a C64.

In the absence of that, I might opt for a repro. But after just watching a video, I'm less interested. I could always fenagle a friggin
lookalike case and stick an arm sbc in it myself. Maybe s/w emulation is fine after all ...

Were almost there believe it or not. What I have been worrying about lately is RAM chips.. What do we do when those dry up? I hope someone has a plan for those.

Your comments please.
Better get this:
https://ultimate64.com/Ultimate-64

FPGA re-implementation of the C64 instead of a Linux+Vice emulation machine as with the "TheC64 Maxi". Fits into an original case and can use the same external hardware like 1541 floppy drive, cartridges, etc. as a real C64.

But most original C64's will be usable for many decades to come, as almost every custom chip that can fail have modern drop-in replacements already.

But most original C64's will be usable for many decades to come, as almost every custom chip that can fail have modern drop-in replacements already.

right. Its my osborne 1 and Actrix Matrix which will be left dead in the water. Hell even the Apple Lisa has too small a community to make replacement parts.... All that will be left is apple IIe's and C64's With some folks saying "Look at my ancient core i5". No just kidding all those core intel boards will be dead in 15 years.

I wonder what the cost of a c64 will be in 40-50 years when they are one of the few remaining systems that work? Of course when most other vintage computers fail, I assume the "vintage computer scene" will fail as well as with limited scope of working machines there wont be much of a hobby. Its a bubble.

that thing is twice the cost of a maxi.
So what? You rather spend half the money for something that you can also run for free on your PC..?

The Ultimate-64 gives you a real machine.

I wonder what the cost of a c64 will be in 40-50 years when they are one of the few remaining systems that work?
Probably not much, as all people who had a C64 when they were young are dead by then. ;)

Back