• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Norton Utilities 6 vs 7 vs 8

alank2

Veteran Member
I've found out that 7 and 8 require a 286 or above. Does anyone know the "what's new" of 7 and 8 are? If I standardize on using 6 across all my vintage PC's, will I really be missing anything?

NU 7 has support for disk compression and the addition of NDOS (4DOS). Using NU 6 or earlier on a compressed disk is an excellent method to scramble the disk contents. I should check; I don't remember much that needed a 286.

NU 8 has a bunch of utilities that require Windows and thus need a 286.

I don't have a copy of 7 so I can't speak to that, but I do have 6 and 8. I can confirm that 6 has NDOS (4DOS), but 8 has some utilities that 6 doesn't such as DISKREET disk encryption, Norton Disk Doctor and Speedisk have hdd disk compression compatibility build-in, and single-pass DUPDISK (or it may have been called DISKCOPY) disk copy program. And as krebizfan said, 8 was also the first version to include Windows 3.1x utilities such as Norton Disk Doctor for Windows, Speedisk for Windows, INI Tuner, INI Editor, and a few others (going by memory here).

If you're looking for more specifics, I have NU 6 loaded on my 386 and NU 8 on my 486. I can provide more details if you need.

Back