• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Introduction

hharte

Hi,

I am a computer enthusiast, having started out in the early 80's with a Northstar Horizon S-100 machine. My collection consists primarily of S-100 and CP/M-based machines, as well as an assortment of IBM 51xx series PCs. In addition I have a PDP-11/44 (www.pdp-11.com) I started collecting in order to re-acquire some of the machines from my past, as well as machines that I always wanted but could never afford when they were new.

I am a software/hardware engineer by trade, so I enjoy using the different operating systems and marvelling at some of the hardware engineering effort that went into these older machines.

I have especially revived my interest in S-100 systems/boards since I began designing the S-100 cards in the new IMSAI Series Two (www.imsai.net) I put some of my machines up on the internet for use by other enthusiasts (at http://www.imsai8080.com/computers/s100/).

I am looking for S-100 bus hardware to test some of the new IMSAI boards with. I feel that this is necessary as we will make the new IMSAI CPU board and I/O board available to hobbyists for use in their own legacy IEEE-696/S-100 systems. I'm currently testing with the exsisting systems in my collection (Cromemco, Northstar, IMSAI 8080) but if anyone has others sitting in their closet that they want to donate to the effort, please let me know.

I'm also positioning my on-line computer system collection as a "retirement home" for obsolete computers with a serial port. All of the machines that I have on-line now are getting more use on a daily basis than they probably have in the last 15 years. I am surprised at the relative reliability of this vintage hardware.

=Howard

Welcome!

Welcome!

Welcome to the VC Forum!

I'm impressed with the machines you've got online! Having those accessible to the world is an impressive accomplishment.

The new IMSAI system is an equally cool deal. I'd be happy to test out some boards in my Altair(s) if you'd like. . . assuming, of course, that I shouldn't expect smoke or flames.

Erik

Back