• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello from Missouri

ComputerGeek2000

Hi. My name is Dakota, and I am 21 years old. I have been interested in computers ever since I can remember, Of course, it helps when one of my uncles is also a computer geek. The first computer I can remember is a Sony Vaio laptop that I was given in 2006. I remember playing my first computer game on it. The game was called "Thomas and Friends: Trouble on the Tracks." I remember that laptop having either Windows 95 or 98. The main thing I remember is the green background. I also remember using Word 97 and pretending it was the internet. I wish I could remember the exact model. I remember it was gray and had like a purple color on the touchpad. Unfortunately, the hinges broke and my Mom wouldn't let me keep it. I remember us having a Pentium 4 Gateway with Windows XP. I remember the computer was gray, but the monitor was beige. We used the monitor with our next computer. The monitor was a Gateway FPD-1520. The next computer I remember clearly was an eMachines ET1161-07. That computer had Windows Vista. We bought it in March of 2009. I loved that computer. In 2012, my uncle couldn't get it to work. In 2016, my uncle bought it down for me to look at because I wanted to see if I could get it to work. All that was wrong with it was the fact that my uncle put in a video card. When I unplugged the card, the computer worked perfectly. In 2017, I put Windows XP on it and it ran great. It even ran great with Windows 10. Unfortunately, when I put Windows 7 on it, things started going wrong. Sometimes, it would just start glitching out. Finally, one day, I think the power supply blew. I replaced it with a Dell Dimension 8400, which is still working. It is my secondary computer now that I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T420. It is so nice to use a ThinkPad again. At my Dad's house, I have a Dell Dimension 4400. These are most of my history with computers. It is good to be here

It was actually really nice to hear your memories verbalised into words! You are most welcome here. Interesting to hear of someone's nostalgia for relatively modern machines. I started like you in the late 80's and early 90's - fiddling with machines that we're maybe 10 years old by that time. I recall the smells of older tech, ozone from leaky high voltage transformers, the very positive sounds made of early floppy disk drives and big old hard drives. Nostalgia is a powerful thing - now in my mid 40s and I have a small collection of machines that represent my strongest memories!

you learn a lot of technical skills working on these machines - hope to read more from you : -)

Welcome Dakota. I'm sure you will find some good information on VCF. Lots of helpful folks with many years of technical
backgrounds.

Larry

@idkraemer I am in Festus, MO. About 30-45 minutes from STL

Welcome to VCF. That's funny, I'm in Chesterfield!

I agree with alan8086, it's interesting hearing nostalgic memories of machines that I consider pretty new tech. I'm 37, and I have a basement full of 8088s, 386s, Pentium 1s, that sort of stuff. I guess it's whatever we grew up with that we stay interested in.

Back