• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hello everybody!

bekar

Hi all, I was looking for a community of like-minded vintage computing enthusiasts and was happy to run across this place! I can tell already that I'll learn a lot from reading here, and hope maybe I can occasionally contribute some knowledge as well.

My collection is mostly vintage PCs, as those are the machines I grew up with, but I do have a few others (Osborne and Apple, as well as various newer PCs). I've got a particular soft spot for the PCjr, which was the first computer I ever owned.

I'll probably be asking for some help troubleshooting a few machines I'm trying to repair, as I'm still a newbie when it comes to component-level troubleshooting.

Welcome to the forum! There are some really smart people here when it comes to both hardware and software troubleshooting as well as programming on these old systems. If you're a PCjr fan, you and mbbrutman will probably be friends in short order.

Which Osborne? The Osborne 1? I've got one myself, an interesting piece of history. Maybe not so useful anymore, but a neat machine to show off.

Thanks! I knew the name mbbrutman sounded familiar. I've got a couple of his jrIDE boards, which greatly improve the usability of those machines! Unfortunately one of my PCjrs has a fault of some type on the motherboard, which I'll be posting about later on. I've also updated them with the akbkuku ATX PSU adapters.

And yes, I've got an Osborne 1 as well! It more or less works, but there's something wrong with the floppy drive so I can't actually boot into CP/M. I'm guessing it just needs to be cleaned and lubricated. Same story with my Compaq Portable 1.

Welcome ...

I adapted the XT-IDE BIOS to the PCjr and then helped with the development of the jrIDE, but the credit for the engineering work belongs to Alan Hightower (eeguru).

Welcome ...

I adapted the XT-IDE BIOS to the PCjr and then helped with the development of the jrIDE, but the credit for the engineering work belongs to Alan Hightower (eeguru).

Thanks to you both then! =)

Back