• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

UK Retrohead Wonders why he hasn't found this forum until today...

sirmorris

... it feels like home!

Hi everyone. My name is Charlie and I love old computers.

I tend to flit around, my hobby is having hobbies. I don't get much time to attend to any one thing in depth so I tend to have micro-fixations whereupon, on the whole, I'll attach some modern high capacity storage to something 8 bits wide from the eighties.

Anyway, I ramble on about it all here http://arduinonut.blogspot.com so feel free to pop by and leave a comment.

MMC anyone?

Welcome from me too. I've not been active on the forum until recently which is a shame, since it's a great site and there are loads of knowledgeable people on here.

Thanks to info found here, I've got my old Amstrad XT running again and have restored its dying ST225 hard drive to as new condition! Not bad eh .. considering I was resigned to fitting a second floppy instead :D

Are you a Commie 64 fan by any chance?

BG

Hiya

MMC = SD/MMC. When my RetroThing happened years ago I decided I wasn't interested in purity. Things have moved on and demonstrating how long it took to load M.U.L.E off an Atari cassette wasn't the most rewarding of experiences. I remembered that peripherals of the day were serial and from there wondered if you could emulate the devices. It turned out that you could, indeed, people had been doing it for years. So I made an SIO2PC cable for my newly purchased '800. It was cool but thoughts moved on to flash and, yes, people were doing that too.

I saw someone had published schematics to attach an MMC card to a BBC Micro. That had to be next. The future was written!

So far I've built an MMBeeb, an SD2IEC, a SIO2SD and developed my own solution for ZX80/81/Spectrum. I randomly scribble about such stuff at Arduinonut

I'm not especially fond of any manufacturer, though Atari hold a special place at most times. I've been concentrating on the Commodores at the moment because my non-functional (for the moment) SD2IEC board can do high speed transfers courtesy of JiffyDos. Having recently finished a little setup to help me blow eproms I needed to exercise it :)

The spectrum is next.

Hi Charlie,

Interesting Blog. I wish I had all those techo-skills.

Welcome to the forums.

Tez

Welcome! So you got the mmbeeb interface to work. I tried to build one last year but probably miswired the power lines so it didn't even appear to get any power. Some day I'll revisit that project, perhaps the rest of the board is OK although I improvised a bit with some component values.

Hello I'm in Luton, but I'm not terribly useful at the moment.
(but I have FINALLY got Dongfeng's bus mouse tested, now I've found my dos boot disk!)

Back