• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Oskar with the 286s

Oskar

Hi everyone!

32 ears old, live in the far north of Sweden. "My" village consists of about 150 people, and the same number of old snowmobiles :D
Vintage stuff have allways appealed to me. It is easy to understand, easy to work with, tends to be high quality, and also it is something strangly fascinating about really old stuff that still works and is able to do what it supposed to after many, many years!
Started at the age of 12 tinkering with old tube radios, something that have stuck with me throughout the years. I consider tube electronics my "main" hobby, though I have more .. maybe to much hobbies:
Vintage motorcycles (I have a DKW RT 250 -1952), enduro riding (KTM 450), hunting, HAM radio, microcontrollers, mostly the AVR ones and "modern" electronics, and .. vintage computers :)

In my early childhood I did not come into contact with computers much, so until we started having computer classes when I was 14, I saw little reason to have one. A couple of years later we got a Pentium 133 at home. I think in .. 1999 maybe? It was the usual windooze computer life from there, use computer for shoolwork, a little browsing etc. About 12 years ago I rescued an old "Victor 286" from my father's work. Looked very similar to the IBM AT, with key to lock the case on the front and LED for 8 and 12MHz. Amber monitor with horrible screenburn and a hercules MDA card :)
I used it at home for a couple of months and managed to learn a little about DOS, then the CMOS battery failed and since I had no bootdisk and knowledge to get the computer going again I gutted it and put a Pentium 1 motherboard inside it :wallbang: At least I saved all the original bits, the beatiful Microscience HH725 MFM drive, motherboard, ISA cards and keyboard / monitor. But later when I was moving to study at the Uni I threw the case and powersupply away :wallbang:
I guess many of us have previous scrapping "sins" from our past, now I would definetly NOT gut and modify a nice AT compatible like that! It was a bad start, but it was with the old Victor 286 that got my (small) vintage computer hobby started. Later at the Uni I learned Linux, found one more AT compatible 286 and had a "eznos" DOS http server going with that for allmost 8 years!

Lately I have been tinkering with three Compaq Portable II computers that I found during a cleanout at work. I have now managed to get one going, maybe It will appear elsewhere on the forum :) My vintage computing interest seems kind of limited the the PC and compatibles, for now at least. That is allt I have experience, skills and space for!
I enjoy programming alot. Know C quite well, some microcontroller ASM, a little PHP and SQL. Would like to learn C++.

Cheers!
Oskar

i;ve love old things too. i've learned to work on old cars the last 5 years.. a town of 150 sounds right down my alley.
i'm going to look for your pics.. I used to own a compaq portable, too. -- hang-in there with the mods approving your posts. :)

Back