• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hey everybody.

ZenHacker

I've been looking for a place like this. I have an infatuation with old computer stuff, including vintage hardware, old software and games, antiquated programming languages, and obsolete networking architectures. I am very interested in the history of computing and the rich folklore of the hacker culture. Recently I have taken more of an interest in this stuff (to the point of obsession) and I decided to try to find an online community dedicated to vintage computing. My interest in retrocomputing, and in computers in general, goes back to my childhood back in the 90s, when my older brother had an Apple ][c computer and I would see him do things on it, and I thought it was just so neat and awesome. I love the way old computers look - the boxy appearance, I love 8-bit graphics, and I love the bipping and beeping sounds that emanate from these old machines.

I have very little experience with retrocomputing. I've played some old MS-DOS games in DOSBox as well as Adventure in a Z-machine emulator, and I've taken the time to learn and use some ancient Unix features - dc, ed, troff, etc. That's about it. I've never touched a working vintage computer. I have an Apple II and two original Mactintosh computers that I got from a free-cycle, but they're all broken, assuming I actually hooked them up properly (I actually plugged one of the Macintoshes into the Apple II thinking it was a monitor; I really need to learn my way around computer connectors better; I also plugged an Apple ][c monitor into the Apple II, so there might have been some compatibility issues between the two). Anyway, my retrocomputing experience is very limited, basically amounting to some emulators and clones of old software, and seemingly broken Apple machines that never even booted properly. I want more than that. I have an insatiable hunger for retrocomputing experiences and will not be satisfied until I'm sitting in front of a CRT screen typing BASIC instructions into a command line on a clicky keyboard.

Recently I finally decided to actually do something about this, and so I went on Ebay and bought what will hopefully be my first vintage computer that actually works - a Commodore 64 that I won the bidding on, along with a Commodore monitor that I just bought outright. I've been doing all the necessary research on the C64, learning about what all the ports are, where everything plugs in, as well as technical aspects like what processor it uses. This is the beginning of something completely new for me, and I have very little knowledge of it. Eventually I'd like to have the knowledge to not only set up, use, and program vintage computers, but also fix broken ones. I don't really know where to learn things like this. So I'm going to hang out here for a while, because I want to be able to talk to others who share my interest in what seems to be a relatively unpopular and obscure hobby, even among technical people. I am dedicated to keeping the rich history of computing alive.

Last edited:
Welcome to our world.

You'll find plenty of helpful and friendly people here (and throughout the interwebs) when it comes to vintage computing. Commodore 64 is a great place to start because its user community, availability of old parts/software, and also the availability of new hacks is fairly massive.

Where in the (real) world are you located?

Welcome :) Good luck with the systems! Let us know how things go and perhaps we (i.e someone smarter than myself) can hopefully help you learn how to troubleshoot some of the issues.

With the IIc monitor, assuming you plugged it into the composite port on the back of the Apple II, yes that should work fine.

The biggest warning I can give you with the C64, is try not to put your hands on the serial ports on the side. Those are fairly susceptible to ESD (electrostatic discharge) and can damage the CIA chip.

Best of luck and glad you found your way here :)

Your 64 can do many more things than you could believe. Try running 80 column software under GEOS. I use mine to read Morse code and RTTY from my shortwave receiver. My biggest thrill is when I remember where I came from when I bought my first computer. I continue to use them so I don't forget how they run and their construction, in some cases, is similar to computers today. And most business software concepts have changed little except for the "skin". I love it when I flip the switch and it works!

Welcome to our world.

You'll find plenty of helpful and friendly people here (and throughout the interwebs) when it comes to vintage computing. Commodore 64 is a great place to start because its user community, availability of old parts/software, and also the availability of new hacks is fairly massive.

Where in the (real) world are you located?

Yeah, I figured the C64 would be a good place to start since it's not too expensive (an absolute necessity given my financial situation) and it's fairly easy to find on the web, and there's a plethora of resources for using, programming, and troubleshooting/repairing it. I want to start out with popular micros from the 80s and eventually move on to more hardcore retrocomputing, e.g. VAX, PDP-10, ITS, etc. but that's for a time when I have a lot more money and live in a place with a lot more space (right now I'm in group home, so all I have is one room).

Currently I am living on Martha's Vineyard. I see in your signature you're involved in some local retrocomputing clubs. I wish there were venues like that where I live, but Martha's Vineyard is more of an artsy place populated mostly by families and older people who are stuck in the 1950s. Though the upside is I'll probably be able to sell some of my artwork here. I have this dream of setting up a cluster of terminals connected to a VAX or PDP-10 and inviting people over to do programming, just like in the glory days of computing. It would be like my own retrocomputing club run from my home. I would have one room occupied by minicomputers and terminals and another room that's full of 70s and 80s micros.

Welcome :) Good luck with the systems! Let us know how things go and perhaps we (i.e someone smarter than myself) can hopefully help you learn how to troubleshoot some of the issues.

With the IIc monitor, assuming you plugged it into the composite port on the back of the Apple II, yes that should work fine.

The biggest warning I can give you with the C64, is try not to put your hands on the serial ports on the side. Those are fairly susceptible to ESD (electrostatic discharge) and can damage the CIA chip.

Best of luck and glad you found your way here :)

So my Apple computers really were broken then. That would explain why the woman I got them from was giving them away for free and sending any unclaimed ones to the dump, rather than selling them for a profit. Unless I fried the motherboard by plugging it in wrong. I've been doing some research on troubleshooting for both the Apple II computers and the Commodore 64. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out what's wrong with that Apple II and the two Macintoshes, and maybe even fix them. It's hard to tell, because they won't boot up at all. When I plugged the Apple ][c monitor into the Apple II and turned it on, I just got an all-green screen, like every pixel was lit - there was no picture. When I plugged in the Macintosh I got the Macintosh face icon with its eyes X-ed out and its tongue hanging out.

Your 64 can do many more things than you could believe. Try running 80 column software under GEOS. I use mine to read Morse code and RTTY from my shortwave receiver. My biggest thrill is when I remember where I came from when I bought my first computer. I continue to use them so I don't forget how they run and their construction, in some cases, is similar to computers today. And most business software concepts have changed little except for the "skin". I love it when I flip the switch and it works!

I'm still trying to figure this C64 out. Kind of difficult, since it hasn't arrived yet and I have to rely on just the user manual that I got from the Internet. My impression from reading it is that the C64 is an extremely limited machine that can have only one program loaded into memory at a time and has no conception of a file or filesystem. The manual doesn't explain how to manipulate data on a floppy disk. Apparently there is a way to do it, but I don't understand how, seeing as you can only connect one floppy drive, and that disk can have either the program for modifying files or the files to be modified, but not both. I don't get it.

Back