• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Scrapper in Baltimore md. Here to learn

Metalbestos

Hi I am a local electronics recycler focusing primarily on ewaste . I get vintage computers, printers and key boards , I'm here to learn what is desired and freshen up my computer knowledge . A member of the scrap metal forum reccomended this site and from what I have read it looks to be a great community.

Here is a pic of some of my vintage computers , I also have a 386 machine

So I will be reading away for information , thanks metalbestos

Welcome to the forums. In general, anything made 20 years ago or older will be desirable to at least one collector. The older the system, the wider the audience. The only systems newer than 20 years old that might be collectible would be popular consumer devices (Apple computers, Palm pilots, first-run iPods), but in general "beige boxes" usually aren't sought after as collectibles. (They are still sought out, but usually for $20-$50 a unit as they are used for "utility" purposes like reading/writing floppy disks.)

As for general guidelines on what to look for, any non-Intel PC is worth holding onto (Amiga, Atari, C64, Apple, etc.) unless it is in very bad cosmetic condition and/or non-functional. Brand names (IBM, Apple, etc.) are always more desirable over that of clones (Zenith, Compaq, etc.). Most systems, unless they are extremely rare and desirable, will need to be tested as functional before they can be sold. Systems can be dirty or yellowed, but broken/missing parts are usually unacceptable unless the system is extremely rare or desirable.

Is your goal to collect yourself, or to rescue/restore items for resale? Knowing that might help taylor advice more specific to your situation.

Back