• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Greetings from Vermont - Excited to be told of this Forum

Ribbon Recyclers

Hello All,

My name is Jim and I found out about this forum from a member names John (forgot his username already) who walked into my shop and said I had to join. I sell computers and parts here in Wlliston, VT and on auction sites. John said you have to join because your stuff is vintage material and VCF is for you. I'm poking around already and boy was he right. So, glad to be part of this and hope to start talking to a lot of you folks soon.

Jim

Be careful! That John character is a wiley one. I drove 1000 miles once to meet up with him in a Chicago hotel. True story! He said he was coming back Friday to get some stuff for me.

Be careful! That John character is a wiley one. I drove 1000 miles once to meet up with him in a Chicago hotel. True story! He said he was coming back Friday to get some stuff for me.

Dude, that hotel part doesn't sound right in text if you know what I mean. LOL

All kidding aside, welcome. Vcfed is a great resource of knowledge sharing and commerce for me. Always great to have new faces to talk to in the hobby.

As far as what luckybob is talking about you can read about it here:

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62788

Last edited:
He was right in another way: no one is expected to keep their own data anymore, and what most people don't even pay attention to is that software is moving off of PC's too. Web apps and the cloud are the future, unfortunately.

He wasn't wrong... Enjoy the frustration of the myriad of smart phone and tablet owners.

Quite the opposite from my perspective. Everyone has a personal computer in their pocket. Yes the desktop as we know it is shrinking in popularity, but given the sheer power of these "phones". It's really a miracle of science.

My note 9 has Base 512gb of storage, with swappable cards up to 512gb each. (using a 256 now) a simple usb3 hub and I can turn this beast into a desktop. Laptops are glorified folding tablets now.

The inevitable march of progress is both a blessing and a curse.

I miss my S7. Loved the infrared sender in the thing. Loved going to bars/restraints and changing the channel to what I wanted to watch. (i was never a dick about it)

Next year I'm looking to get the note 10 if it has 5G. They've been busy building 5g 'towers' in my neighborhood.

you can all keep your phones, ill be rocking this xeon windows 7 PC for a very long time. Data input through a touch screen only is like voluntarily living like a neanderthal.

you can all keep your phones, ill be rocking this xeon windows 7 PC for a very long time. Data input through a touch screen only is like voluntarily living like a neanderthal.

I can control every modem computer in my possession with this "phone." I could use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, but I can use the touchscreen and "swypey" Gboard just as well. Incidentally, this Swype method of "typing" is pretty much exactly what I had envisioned thirty years ago. I didn't think it would be on such a small keyboard though.

I've never had a Zeon and prolly never will. All those things do is encourage bloatware (spell corrected to Blyatware... I like that!)

I suppose I might need a newer Windows at some point. But I sure hope not. XP is painful enough.

The best thing about the present is that we can use all the things from the past, too. I still do all my financial work on an Amiga 2000. It hasn't stopped doing anything it did when I bought it second hand twenty years ago. In fact, unlike Windows PCs, it does more and better than it did when it was new.

Man, if I could get a modern laptop with a model M and a trackball, I wouldn't care if it was six inches thick and weighed twenty pounds.

That's the problem with the progress of consumer electronics. Designers focus on smaller and smaller and cheaper instead of better.

Back