• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Introducing Player/Missile, a new Atari-8 bit podcast

playermissile

I've been inspired by lots of great podcasts (No Quarter, ANTIC, 2600 game-by-game, RCR, Drop /// Inches, You Don't Know Flack) to try a podcast of my own. There wasn't one covering Atari 8-bit games, so here's my attempt.

http://playermissile.com

There is an RSS feed there and it should be on iTunes soon. I'm going to try to do a chronological history of important or significant games on the platform as well as look at classic magazines that covered the 8-bits. I've got an introductory episode up now, and the next episode will cover 1979 and the game Star Raiders.

For subsequent episodes, I'll probably do 2 or 3 covering 1980, then maybe there will be enough material to cover single months when I get into 1981. I'm trying to use magazines to help pinpoint release dates for games so I can get a better idea of what came before what. I'm interested in the evolution of gaming on the platform, as well as reliving the fun of looking through these classic computing magazines. I plan to tracking prices in advertisements and see how the cost of peripherals and competing systems of the time changed over time and also what they would cost in today's dollars.

I've got a big list of the magazines that I'll be looking at on the website, and I'll announce the games that I'll be reviewing in advance if you want to send in any feedback.

Back