Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

IBM PC Compact Printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBM PC Compact Printer

Printers often don't get documented as well as computers, but this one really seems to be obscure. (If you Google today you can't even find a picture of it.)

I have corrected the injustice:

http://brutman.com/PCjr/pc_compact_printer.html

Fun note - the graphics sample that I used came from a file called 'PAGODA.RLE', which is an old RLE file I picked up from my BBS days. I had a BASIC program that could display it on the screen. To get the printer output I wrote a C program to read the file, convert it to a bitmap, and then create a binary file with the printer codes for this specific printer. Now I can print my 25 year old RLE files!

(Does anybody else have RLE files laying around?)

Mike

Cool! Could you zip up the RLE program you made and any RLE file(s)? That'd be a fun thing to do on my Sr. Partner, which has a built-in thermal printer.
    More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
    Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
    I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven View Post
      Cool! Could you zip up the RLE program you made and any RLE file(s)?
      If you google for "PAGODA.RLE" you can find a download page that has a zip of some RLE files.

Having read this thread, I was inspired to write cistopbm, which will convert between CompuServe RLE and the Portable Bitmap format used by NetPBM. And thence, by the power of NetPBM, to just about anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven View Post
        Cool! Could you zip up the RLE program you made and any RLE file(s)? That'd be a fun thing to do on my Sr. Partner, which has a built-in thermal printer.
        Is the printer semi-Epson compatible? The compact printer uses ESC 0 and ESC K for the graphics.

I need to clean the code up a little bit - it was a late night hacking session for me to prove that the printer can do graphics. (The technical reference clearly says that it can't.) I should be able to get you something in the next day or two though.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by JohnElliott View Post
          If you google for "PAGODA.RLE" you can find a download page that has a zip of some RLE files.

Having read this thread, I was inspired to write cistopbm, which will convert between CompuServe RLE and the Portable Bitmap format used by NetPBM. And thence, by the power of NetPBM, to just about anything.
          Ah, I made the mistake of searching without the quotes. I also had a terrible time finding the RLE specification - my old BASIC code was easy enough to port to C, but I was hoping to find the formal spec before I started. I did - after I was done. I found the same page you have linked. It's probably time to make a snapshot and hide it. It is surprising to me that it is not documented in other places. Compuserve RLEs were traded before the GIF and before the masses got Internet access, so they are pretty obscure.

Comment

Originally posted by mbbrutman View Post
            I found the same page you have linked. It's probably time to make a snapshot and hide it.
            cistopbm includes a brief summary of the format. Most of the RLE files I tested it against don't seem to follow the formal spec terribly well; they omit the end-picture signature, or include fewer pixels than there actually are. Even PAGODA.RLE contains runs of 95 pixels where the spec recommends 94 as the maximum.

Oh, and googling for "esc g h" rle finds a few other mentions of the format.
            Last edited by JohnElliott; July 5, 2009, 08:10 AM. Reason: Added the last line.

Comment

... and there are also some RLE files on the CP/M CDROM, in the enterprs/c64/gfx directory. Including a few that cistopbm won't handle, because they have junk before the ESC G H header.

Comment

I had noticed the extra characters before the official signature when I wrote the BASIC program back 20 years ago. I attributed it to people doing some form of ASCII download. The file format uses printable characters (except for the ESC) character, so this would have been possible.

Comment

Several ones on the CP/M CDROM have what looks like a 117-byte binary header, which contains an approximate file size, the original filename, and a lot of zeroes.

Anyway, I've fixed cistopbm so it can handle them all.

Comment

I have no idea how the thermal printer works in the Sr. Partner, it is integrated with the machine physically, so it just "works", no matter what DOS you boot, there are no drivers or etc.. It's support might be built into the illegal BIOS the machine carries, hehe...
                    More commonly known as "Yushatak" - www.yushatak.com
                    Focused on 486 and Pentium Machines
                    I collect All-In-One PCs and Keyboard PCs, especially Compaq.

Comment

Nah, the printer has its own intelligence. (They didn't start going completely stupid until the Windows 9x era.)

The printer has it's own small CPU and firmware that tell it how to talk to the computer, how to print characters, and how to print graphics (if it is capable of that). Normally the printer prints the text that it receives. If you want the printer to do something special such as print using boldface, change to compressed characters, subscript or whatever you send it special 'ESC' codes that the printer interprets and acts on.

Like Hayes was to modems, the Epson codes are to printers. Many printers are Epson compatible at some level. We need to find out what your printer is capable of emulating.

Comment

Hello!

Could you help me, please?

I would like to know in which year this printer was available for the first time in market.

Thanks!

Comment

I remember a very neat and compact HP thermal printer or inkjet printer that we used in our research labs around 1988. I can't remember what it is called though- and googling for 'HP Printer', well....

Does anybody have a clue? They were using tractor feed, but the printer was not much wider than the paper, a small square box.

By the way, should I start making pictures of my Oki 192 and IBM Graphics Printer? I'm afraid I dumped my Seikosha GP100 years ago, how stupid.
                          (*remembers still wants an HP7574 plotter...)
                          “Thus, we see that one of the obvious origins of human disagreement lies in the use of noises for words.”

Comment

Originally posted by javixu View Post
                            Hello!

Could you help me, please?

I would like to know in which year this printer was available for the first time in market.

Thanks!
                            1983 or 1984.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorg View Post
                              By the way, should I start making pictures of my Oki 192 and IBM Graphics Printer? I'm afraid I dumped my Seikosha GP100 years ago, how stupid.
                              (*remembers still wants an HP7574 plotter...)
                              I think there are still a billion IBM Graphics Printers out there, so don't worry too much about it. The Oki's were very nice printers too, but I haven't seen one in 15 years.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X