• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A site for my old computers

DamienC

Experienced Member
I put up a small website for my old PC stuff, mostly out of boredom. Has a modest amount of pics and some video at the moment. Thought it would go over better at a site like this as opposed to a social-media-hipster-wasteland such as Reddit.

Bad Command or File Name

The site is lightly seasoned with profanity, so if that turns you off you might want to avoid it. Otherwise it's got some neat stories about my computer stuff. Will be documenting my DOS games hopefully in the near future.

If I might make some suggestions -- it would be nice if you used .jpg instead of the massive png files, takes forever for the pages to load thanks to that... even an unnoticable 5% lossy would reduce the filesizes 6x.

Likewise when you have thumbnails, make thumbnails instead of using the full size image... letting the browser resize a full image wastes your bandwidth if the user doesn't click, and also slows the pageload.

Some semantic markup and a doctype wouldn't hurt either, though you're not really using enough CSS layout to sweat that... as would moving the sub-page links either up into a sidebar or to the top since scrolling down on every page for nav kinda sucks.

Brightening the colors to accessibility minimums could help too.

Also you might want to research what a keywords META is a bit more -- 7 or 8 words that exist inside BODY on the page; you've overstuffed with values that don't exist on the pages you have it in.

THAT SAID, you have a clean and simple site layout -- I wish more people kept it simple like that. You're already light-years better than the stuff people vomit up and call a website using nonsense like turdpress or joomla.

-- edit -- and your videos don't work here, probably because you only included mp4 encoded mp4... Generally you need three separate encoder/container combinations to deploy using HTML 5's video tag, as well as a flash fallback... Yeah, that HTML 5 video made EVERYTHING better and easier... right...

Good suggestions here. In my defense, I haven't written any serious HTML or CSS in a bunch of years and did a lot of it from memory. A big reason I did the site at all is that I found a really good DOS font and finally figured out how to embed truetype fonts and just wanted to see if I could mimic a DOS prompt. 8)

I did select PNG because of the image quality, but yes in hindsight I should have picked compressed JPGs. And I used HTML5 for the video because I really wanted to avoid Youtube/Google because they force you to use a Google+ account... but I have a feeling I'm getting HUGE lag spikes in CS:GO because people are watching my dumb videos and I'm hosting this site on a home fileserver. A dumb idea for sure, but I just wanted to be able to say I did it. Looks like Google will win this round; I'll probably move the videos to Youtube. I also converted the videos to both AVI and WebM, but they looked like crap. By the end, all I was concerned with was making sure they worked in the latest Firefox. Ah well, it'll be moot when I move the videos.

No excuse for the lack of actual thumbnails other than sheer laziness. I need to do this though because the bandwidth use is pretty high.

I also kind of hate having to scroll down the window, so I'll play with the layouts a bit and see what I can do.

I'll try and tweak the site in the near future. Unfortunately I've been working OT a lot lately. I'll post again when I've done something. :p

If I might make some suggestions -- it would be nice if you used .jpg instead of the massive png files, takes forever for the pages to load thanks to that... even an unnoticable 5% lossy would reduce the filesizes 6x.

Likewise when you have thumbnails, make thumbnails instead of using the full size image... letting the browser resize a full image wastes your bandwidth if the user doesn't click, and also slows the pageload.

Some semantic markup and a doctype wouldn't hurt either, though you're not really using enough CSS layout to sweat that... as would moving the sub-page links either up into a sidebar or to the top since scrolling down on every page for nav kinda sucks.

Brightening the colors to accessibility minimums could help too.

Also you might want to research what a keywords META is a bit more -- 7 or 8 words that exist inside BODY on the page; you've overstuffed with values that don't exist on the pages you have it in.

THAT SAID, you have a clean and simple site layout -- I wish more people kept it simple like that. You're already light-years better than the stuff people vomit up and call a website using nonsense like turdpress or joomla.

-- edit -- and your videos don't work here, probably because you only included mp4 encoded mp4... Generally you need three separate encoder/container combinations to deploy using HTML 5's video tag, as well as a flash fallback... Yeah, that HTML 5 video made EVERYTHING better and easier... right...

Back