• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TotalHardware WIKI!!!

eprimetime

Alright, I am pretty pumped about this. Some may be *bleh* or similar.

I have taken the Total Hardware 1999 that I have used for many years, and converted it to Wiki Format. A lot of work still needs to be done yet, as there is not yet a graphical index, for example, like there was on the original TH99. A logo, better categorization, etc. However, my vision is for it to eventually be a resource for not just vintage computers, but also EVERY computer component ever made. Yeah, I know, it's a tall order, btu if we are gonna dream, dream big, right? One person cannot do it alone, or even a team of people working for one company, but many, many people working together, can. Look at what Wikipedia has accomplished. I felt that a wiki is just what is needed for this type of info.

Anyway, I have been hard at work onthis on and off over the last year, and am trying to drum up interest in it. If you like it, great, come on over and help out. If not, let me know why, or come on over and help out to make it better!

*EDIT*

Ooops, forgot to include the address:

http://jdelliott.org/wiki

Sincerely,

John Elliott
TotalHardwareWiki Maintainer

This is absolutely freeaking amazing! It must have taken you a long time but good job. I will give it a bit of testing and when convinced replace my link to
total hardware 99

thanks again .. marcus

Very impressive.

Since I go through a LOT of cards, boards, etc. and some of them have the jumper setting silk-screened on them, I will check to see if you have them, or if they are labelled as "unknown" (happens a lot) and shoot you the info.

It might take up some of my working time, but, it would be well worth it.

I have not used your webpage yet but THANKS none the less for making it. I am sure that in the near future I will be plowing through it looking for configuration jumper settings, etc and thanking you for putting the information on the web.

THANKS!

Andrew Lynch

PS, here is another similar site I use frequently for drive settings:

http://stason.org/TULARC/index.html

TotalHardware Wiki

TotalHardware Wiki

I have not used your webpage yet but THANKS none the less for making it. I am sure that in the near future I will be plowing through it looking for configuration jumper settings, etc and thanking you for putting the information on the web.

THANKS!

Andrew Lynch

PS, here is another similar site I use frequently for drive settings:

http://stason.org/TULARC/index.html

Yes, I have seen that site several times before. He does have a lot of info, on all kinds of things.

If you look carefully, that guy has basically taken a copy of the TH99, and repackaged it to fit in with the rest of his site. Nothing wrong with that, that I can see, as that is what I've done. The main advantage to what I've done is the ability for anyone to correct info on it, and to add even completely new hardware, which is what I'm hoping will eventually happen as more peoplk become aware of it. However, he has drive settings for older drives, which is missing from the TH Wiki, because those are all text files in the TH99, not HTML, so they were not able to be converted, and there is no common format for a script to parse those.

Oh, for those of you thinking somehow I did that all by hand: No, I do not have that much dedication. The author of a Perl module that converts HTML (TH99) to MediaWiki format was kind enough to work with me over a month, and custom wrote a script for me, since I have less than no programming skills. So, really, the credit for 99% of the work goes to him, not me, and I'm grateful for that.

I did have to spend quite a few house going through and designating which categories needed to be subcategories, like Companies, Motherboards, etc.

Sincerely,

eprimetime

Very inspiring. I see tho that your base is computers after 1999. While it can be an invaluable source, for this forum it's clearly "off-topic" since VCF only deals with vintage computers and for some, even including a 10 year old cut-off is too lenient.

I do wish you success with your endeavors however.

Lawrence

Total Hardware 99 is computers before 1999, so is very on topic. I've used it many, many times to get the jumper settings in my PC/XT systems. Invaluable.

OK, my error. I was going by a blurb on the site asking only for submissions for computers "after 1999" and a quick perusal of the companies didn't come up with Atari or Commodore. "Never mind"

I was disappointed that it wasn't what I anticipated. I'll have to go back and check it out more fully.

What caught my eye was " If you know of a piece of computer hardware (at this point in time, anything made after 1999), please add whatever information you have on it to the wiki (after searching to make sure it isn't already here, of course.} "

Which is confusing at least. There are of course "The Hardware Book", "The Ref", and another on card switch-settings whose name escaoes me. His intentions seem to be more ambitious than those however and I applaud him while still remaining a bit skeptical considering the vast amount of data there is out there. Perhaps I'm misconstruing his aims.

Lawrence

Last edited:
TotalHardware Wiki

TotalHardware Wiki

The reason why I ask for things made after 1999, if that as far as IBM compatible hardware goes, most thing made before 1999 are already represented. I did not intend to include commodore/atari/etc., but they are MORE than welcome. but as far as IBM and clones, you will find that most things are already there. Anything that was in the Total Hardware 1999, with the exception of hard disks, IS in there, as I used that as my source.

Hopefully that clears things up. Now, as far as anything not strictly IBM-compatible, feel free to add any info you wish. I would prefer not to stray too far off the computer hardware base. In other words, I don't feel that adding a music keyboard because it has a MIDI port, which allows it to be hooked up to 99% of sound cards out there, would be appropriate. However, there is a device that hooks up to a Mac computer (can't remember what it's name is) that is for mixing music, etc. I believe that it REQUIRES a computer to be useful, so therefore it is very closely computer related. I hope that makes things a little more clear.

Sincerely,

eprimetime

This is actually, pretty kickarse if I must say so myself. Especially since I have some boards and board revisions that don't exist on the TH99 pages, and I've been wanting to spend some rainy weekend figuring out what the jumpers on the boards do with different settings (it might actually allow me to use them for more than just pictures). So I definatley have stuff to contribute.

Back