• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

More recent collection

bfutrel

I don't have nearly as many computers as some of you, but here they go!

• Generic Celeron 800
    Generic AMD K6-2/500
    2x Generic AMD Athlon 1000
    1 Generic AMD Sempron 2200 (notice a pattern here ?)
    HP ePC P3-850
    Gateway mini desktop computer Celeron 766
    Dell Optiplex PII-333 Desktop
    Dell Dimension XPS T550
    Apple Quadra 605
    Apple Power Mac FrankenMac/180 (made of parts from Power Mac 7200, 7500, 7600 and 7300 computers)
    Apple Power Mac 9600/300 with PC Compatibility Card
    Apple Power Mac G3/266 mintower
    Apple Power Mac G3/333 ATX hack job
    Apple Power Mac G3/266 AIO (currently failing)

Oops... forgot one!
    Digital Prioris quad PPro 200 server with 512MB RAM, 7 removable SCSI drive modules

Oops... forgot another!
    Tandy Pocket Computer PC-7 (1.5k RAM, dead batteries)
They are split between home and work. I would have more, but my wife would kill me!
:D

AIO

AIO

I have a G3 AIO that I rescued from going to the dumpster. They are VERY touchy. One thing wrong and the whole thing quits. I may be able to help you try to bring it online if your intrested...

-Vlad

Re: AIO

Re: AIO

vlad said:
I have a G3 AIO that I rescued from going to the dumpster. They are VERY touchy. One thing wrong and the whole thing quits. I may be able to help you try to bring it online if your intrested...

-Vlad

It was working OK, then one day it would not boot into OS X. MacOS 9.22 loaded OK, but the colors almost looked inversed. I connected an external monitor to it, with the same result. I then jiggled the cable and the colors corrected themselves.

After the colors matched, I restarted and tried to boot into OS X. It gets to the gray screen and the dark grey apple, then the video decides to become garbled and it locks up.

Currently I have the hard disk from the AIO in the G3-ATX hack since it has my iTunes music library - all 11GB of MP3/AAC files. I backed them up yesterday to DVD drives so I could possibly wipe the hard disk and try reloading OS X on it.

I regret to inform you....

I regret to inform you....

Woah... OS X IS NOT compatible with G3 AIO's Thats why probably why it won't boot OS X. Its not supported. YOu can go as high as OS 9.22.

-Vlad

Re: I regret to inform you....

Re: I regret to inform you....

vlad said:
Woah... OS X IS NOT compatible with G3 AIO's Thats why probably why it won't boot OS X. Its not supported. YOu can go as high as OS 9.22.

-Vlad

OS X has been running on this AIO for several years now. It's up to 10.2.8 as are the other 2 Beige G3s that I use. OSX Tiger and Panther are not officially supported, but can be installed with XPostFacto. The only liimitations with a Beige G3 are :

1) Depending on the ROM version, MacOS 9.x does not support slave IDE devices. OS X has workarounds for this issue. Not a problem if using a PCI IDE controller.

2) Built-in video is unaccelerated in OS X. Forget about using screensavers with OpenGL unless a PCI video card with 3D acceleration is used.

3) Built-in IDE controllers are PIO Mode 4 (16.6 MB/Sec), which slows down disk performance in OS X. If you want faster disk performance, you have to add either a SCSI or an IDE card.

4) If you are installing OS X on an IDE drive, it has to be installed to a partition contained completely within the first 8GB of the drive.

The motherboard/logic board in the AIO is the same as those in the G3 desktop and G3 tower models - I have one of each.

Back