• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My Kaypros and Commodores

Mos6502

Experienced Member
I guess I'll show off my vintage junk:
5657858682_d6ef5867a7.jpg

My Kaypro II
5657283493_03b00361b0.jpg

My Kaypro New2 (just out of storage and still pretty dusty)
5657858236_9673dd2b42.jpg

My Kaypro 1, which is my latest addition.

5657283671_495cb3819a.jpg

My Commodore PET 4032.
5657857908_fdebea0ca2_z.jpg

Opened up, needs a cleaning. It has a small add on board, I'm not sure what it's supposed to be for. Maybe for plugging two different roms in at the same time?
5657283271_15030eb1bd.jpg

Here it is with a CBM 2040 drive.

Sold these two on to forum members:
5657297833_605e7d875e.jpg

5657871976_9f3074042c.jpg

I still have a tandy color computer, and an IBM PS/2 50, but I'll probably get rid of them eventually since I don't have a lot of space or interest for them.

Yesterday I got a package of Kaypro stuff from a member here:
5657297341_fa29dfe78e.jpg

I started going through the disks last night, but unfortunately many of them were warped or otherwise damaged. I'm going to be backing up the working ones and hopefully making disk images eventually.
5657871312_f12f616bcc_z.jpg

One of the good disks was a game disk! Here's Ladder. Actually there were a few game disks, including two disks for Adventure.
I need to get the II apart and clean and lube the drives though because drive B kept giving me errors (and was pretty noisy), but drive A read most of the good disks without any problems. I will probably just pip the files to fresh disks using my new2 though.

Included in this lot was a bunch of documentation - I will be scanning some of it and making it available online shortly.

Thanks.

Here's a piece of documentation I'll be putting up on a webpage sometime soon:
5659383414_1ea0d6cf28_b.jpg

A Kaypro II circuit diagram. Somebody has scribbled some mods onto it, but I think might still be useful to people.

Nice collecton.

The Kaypros, PETs and TRS-80s are amongst my favourite models. It's probably because the cases have such unique, retro designs. Certainly these are the ones that tend to get a reaction when I show people my units.

Tez

What'd you get for the 8032 if I may ask?

The shipping cost them more than the computer. Any other questions?

And thanks Tezza. BTW, can I ask what the serial number on your Kaypro II is? I'm interested because yours is such an early example.

And thanks Tezza. BTW, can I ask what the serial number on your Kaypro II is? I'm interested because yours is such an early example.

Sure. It's 005322. Yes, I was lucky to get it as a gift. It's had issues, but it's working 100% now, although one of the drives is a TEAC substitute for the original Tandon that was there.

Tez

The shipping cost them more than the computer. Any other questions?
Nah; figures that while you like to rant about folks who apparently don't know the value of this stuff as being "clueless" etc., you won't actually be helpful and share your expertise/experience regarding what something actually was worth and/or *did* sell for... ;-)

Last edited:
Which machine had more software out for it (apps not games), the Commodore PET or the TRS-80 model III?

Nah; figures that while you like to rant about folks who apparently don't know the value of this stuff as being "clueless" etc., you won't actually be helpful and share your expertise/experience regarding what something actually was worth and/or *did* sell for... ;-)

Since you don't care what anybody else thinks something is worth anyway, why would you be interested in knowing what I let it go for? Are you going to keep harassing me about things? Do I need to seek out a moderator, or are you going to grow up?

It went for less than the cost of shipping, or less than half as much as any PET has sold on ebay recently, and it went to somebody who'll appreciate more than me, so I don't care that I didn't squeeze every penny possible out of it. They're happy, I'm happy. End of story.

Last edited:
Which machine had more software out for it (apps not games), the Commodore PET or the TRS-80 model III?

If I had to take a guess, I'd say Model III. But this is only an assumption based on that it is easier to find TRS-80 software today than it is to find PET software. So really I don't know.

PS: Thanks Tezza. Have you ever corresponded with Jim from selectric.org? He's got an early kaypro, in the 3XXX range.

5657871312_f12f616bcc_z.jpg

One of the good disks was a game disk! Here's Ladder.

Ha. Yeah, I like that game. Somebody also made a good clone of that for the Amiga.

Did you find the Pac Man clone yet? There should be a text version of Pac Man on there somewhere (can't remember the name of it). It's pretty lame, but I suppose it's impressive for a text mode action game.

Since you don't care what anybody else thinks something is worth anyway, why would you be interested in knowing what I let it go for? Are you going to keep harassing me about things? Do I need to seek out a moderator, or are you going to grow up?
If I didn't care what it was worth I wouldn't have asked you politely "if you don't mind my asking" what you sold it for; it really didn't call for your rude, "any more questions?", a simple "I'd rather not say, but they generally go for $XX" would have been much more helpful...

Shoulda known better...

Ha. Yeah, I like that game. Somebody also made a good clone of that for the Amiga.

Did you find the Pac Man clone yet? There should be a text version of Pac Man on there somewhere (can't remember the name of it). It's pretty lame, but I suppose it's impressive for a text mode action game.

Yup there's a pacman clone called catchum, and a space invaders clone called aliens. I can get shots of those too sometimes.

And mike, stop playing dumb. Ok? You're really not fooling anybody, so drop it.

It went for less than the cost of shipping, or less than half as much as any PET has sold on ebay recently, and it went to somebody who'll appreciate more than me, so I don't care that I didn't squeeze every penny possible out of it. They're happy, I'm happy. End of story.

Sounds like:

http://dc105.4shared.com/img/339763..._3Ftsid_3D20110426-102114-f31a541/preview.mp3

Sorry, I couldn't help myself

...And mike, stop playing dumb. Ok? You're really not fooling anybody, so drop it.
Stop being insulting! I have an 8032 and wondered what you sold yours for "if you don't mind my asking", or what you think they're worth, period. Yes, considering your rant about "clueless" people who don't know the value of their stuff I thought you'd be more helpful instead of your snarky reply. 'Nuff said.

You know what? this is bullshit.

I've already had good dealings with several people on this board and that's great, but you're being an asshole.

I'm gone. Have fun being a dick to others.

Back