• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

my collection

~llama

i'm new to these forums, so i figure a good way to introduce myself is through my collection:

I have two vintage macs:
- performa 578
- macintosh SE

and two IBM PS/2's

- PS/2 Model 55LS:
386SX, 4mb RAM, MS-DOS 6.22, 1.44mb floppy drive, 60mb hdd

- PS/2 Model 30:
i8086, 640k RAM, MS-DOS 2.11(?), 20mb hdd

nice place, i hope to be really active

Hello and welcome!

I remember the PS/2 Model 50 series from when they came out. I remember drooling over them and the 70s.

I've got a PS/2 Model 30 in my collection but it has been a bit sick lately.

Erik

My Model 30 is out of service at the moment too; the 20mb Seagate hard drive in it has finally died. Oh well. it always did sound like a helicopter when it was spinning up anyway :mrgreen:

Hello and welcome...

Ahh, the PS/2 series...Nowadays when you say "PS/2" to youngsters, they'll think of a certain games console from Sony :shock:

Way back (uhm, just to years ago, but still) when I started collecting, one of the first machines I was donated (which made me want to start) was a Model 60. Tower model, that one! But it's a "portable" :p ...It's got a big handle on the top, and when you lift it there's a yellow warning-sticker saying "18 KG +"...Heh... :roll:

I like the Russian aircraft naming scheme. It makes me want to go watch "Wings of the Red Star" on the Discovery Wings Channel. I was watching the episodes on the "Bear" and the "Foxbat" a couple of nights ago.

I've been trying to come up with a unique network name scheme for my collection. The only areas that are consistantly named are the Iris Indigo's (German names, Franz, Hanz, Arnold, Helmut, Elke, Dieter, Schultz) and the modern PC's that are not really part of the collection (Aphrodite, Apollo, Hermes, Mercury, Charon, Venus, Diana).

Three of the Indigo's (Hanz, Franz and Arnold) were named by the previous owner. They were a CAD/CAM system in a steel fabrication plant in Black River Falls, WI. I couldn't rename them. I have documentation that shows they were named in 1991 upon delivery from Sgi. From the file dats and the dats on the DAT backup tapes, they were taken out of service in late 2002.

Blackcube wrote:
<snip>
I've been trying to come up with a unique network name scheme for my collection. The only areas that are consistantly named are the Iris Indigo's (German names, Franz, Hanz, Arnold, Helmut, Elke, Dieter, Schultz) and the modern PC's that are not really part of the collection (Aphrodite, Apollo, Hermes, Mercury, Charon, Venus, Diana).
<snip>

I'm fond of using names of computers/robots from movies, but try to make them fit the machine they tied to:

SS5- 170- Bishop (Aliens)
SS5- 70- Farve (Total Recall tv series)
Vaxstation- B.O.B. (Slim Pickens charecter from "The Black Hole"
ThinkPad- AnnaLee (Alien Resurection or "Sigorney got roped into another one")
PC-8500 - Studly - from a book- anyone want to venture a guess?
Netserver- Dumont (Tron)
Televideo 9220 - Bit(Tron)

Once I get moved into a house and have the room to actually put the second rack up with the Netframe on it- given its model number it can only be named one thing- HAL

Back