• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Info On Philips 3103

canuck46

Experienced Member
A couple of weeks ago while roaming around the forum I mentioned to someone that I had a Philips 3103,and someone asked me something about it. So seeing that my IBM 5150 and friends are all happy at the moment I decided to check out Philips a little closer....
So using some of my new found information(Thanx Guys) I formatted it...Made a Dos Directory,Got Dos 3.3 Installed and it runs GREAT.:D
So, For anyone thats interested...here goes.
Its a Philips 3103-200 with a Kalok "Octagon" Hard Drive (32 Mgs) It has Mono Display and both 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 Drives. I installed PCTools to find out a bit more...Its a "XT" class computer with 8088 Processor - Original Bios version 9/12/86.
It has 640 K of Ram.
The startup screen is as follows.
Philips PC Rom 1.04
Seagate ST11 Bios Rev. 2.0.0

C:\

It starts quick and runs just fine !!!!
My main interest in it was the sticker on the back "Assembled in Canada".
It doesnt take much to amuse some of us up here:)
One thing that "I" thought was unusual about this machine was that the Hard Drive is mounted on its own Card"?" next to the Controller Card. I was going to investigate that a bit further but my luck with Controller Cards lately has'nt been great so as It works I wont "Fix" it.
Theres a Pic of this machine on my Web Site and if anyone wants or has any more info on this machine ,Let me know.:rolleyes:

You used to be able to get "hard cards" which was basically a hard drive on a card that simply slotted in your computer. It's probably one of those :D

Glad you got it working, nice one!

and furthermore...

and furthermore...

One of my main reasons for wanting to get this machine going was the fact that it has both large and small floppy drives......I have a few programs on 3 1/3 that Im going to try and copy to 5 1/4 for older machines....just because !!!:cool:

Back