• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to display a CPU collection

Half-Saint

Experienced Member
I have a growing collection of old processors which I'd like to put on display in my workshop. Ideally I'd like to mount them on the wall.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Perhaps use that peg board stuff and pegs? or nails with heads to help hold them (more destructive but stable and removable). Alternatively you could spend more money on or build a display case which you could then mount nicely on the wall too and keep things still removable. Another dumb trick a friend found to be quite useful for hanging off a door in the computer room was those plastic womens shoe holders. They nicely store cables but are also clear if you wanted your CPU samples in them and you could seal them with some tape.

An option is to get a sheet of foam that's sometimes used to ship memory chips and processors, and press the CPUs into the foam. Then either make or modify an existing display cabinet to the right thickness to where the glass presses lightly aginst the CPUs, and they don't become detached from the foam

I bought two shadow boxes in Ikea a couple of months ago. The problem I have with foam is that not all CPUs are equal thickness.

Keep 'em coming :)

Waking up an ancient thread...
How would you stick them on the frame without damaging them and without showing the mounts?

In the future, you might want to avoid "necro-posting." You are unlikely to get much of a response, by posting to such an old thread. You can link to it, though, and that can help to give context.

To answer your question, it was suggested to use foam. You might want to consider anti-static foam for that use.

- Alex

Back