• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Items that aren't actual computers

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
I've got a few toys in my collection that aren't actually computers, but are related to the vintage computer hobby.

One item is the aluminum nameplate from an IBM System 360 that my dad's company de-comissioned many years ago. This is a nearly 3 foot by 5 inch by one inch metal bar painted with the IBM logo on a black background. A neat little trinket.

I've also got several planes of core memory in various states, just for display. Along with the assembled memory I have two canisters of unused ferrite cores in case I ever get the urge to string some of my own.

Silicon wafers are another neat related collectible. I've got several of those, some etched and some not, also in my collection.

One of these days I'll be settled back into a routine and can take and post some pictures of these.

Erik

If calculators don't count as "Vintage Computers" (I assume we mean personal computers here)... I've got an old TI SR-56 calculator. Still works, too. Powered it up today.

Some might count as computers (some call the HP-85 a calculator, some a computer, for instance).

I think that there's a lot of crossover between computer collectors and calculator and video game collectors. The interests are similar enough, as are the machines.

Erik

I've got the data-plate from an old burroughs terminal of some sort.
I have this wierd data logger (mostly stripped for parts though).

Whoa...

Well, I guess most of us have that sort of stuff too.

Not counting a stack of magazines and brochures - things that are certainly not computers, but are very related anyway - I have the following (that I can remember):

A Commodore pocket calculator from some time in the 70's. This is an overly simple thing, as it doesn't even have a memory-function.

A Commodore 202 Adding Machine. Electro-Mechanical!!! It's big, it's heavy, it's beautiful. I paid too much for it, though...Taught me never to have things shipped COD again!!

A Commodore camera. This is a trinket; something Commodore would send to their dealers. Junk, but hey... (Did I mention I like Commodore stuff?)

A weird keyboard from some unknown Danish system. a 6-pin DIN connector on a 5 metre cable embedded in it. No logo (that I can recall) and no clue as to it's age. One day, maybe...

Lessee, what else...? Various weird accessories that GO with computers, but aren't what you'd call "standard", like the music maker keyboard clip-on for the C64...

A Texas Instruments Speak & Spell :lol:

Part of the motherboard (I think) of some strange old HP system. Which reminds me to ask you guys if you know what it is from. I'll post a picture of it eventually, I'll just need to scan it first!

That's it, at the moment. At least, that's all I can recall at the moment :?

Re: Items that aren't actual computers

"Erik" wrote:

> One of these days I'll be settled back into a
> routine and can take and post some pictures
> of these.

That'll be great to see.

Cheers.

Thomas Hillebrandt said:
Whoa...

Well, I guess most of us have that sort of stuff too.

Not counting a stack of magazines and brochures - things that are certainly not computers, but are very related anyway - I have the following (that I can remember):

A Commodore pocket calculator from some time in the 70's. This is an overly simple thing, as it doesn't even have a memory-function.

*snip*

A Texas Instruments Speak & Spell :lol:

Whoa, I have that stuff. ;) The speak and spell voice has a great timbre for stuff like techno music; some artists are using it as a vocal addon.

Beyond Computers

Beyond Computers

Lemme see...
most of my stuff is Commodore related; lots of software, commodore branded controllers, tons of magazines, plenty of books, promotional literature, some nautical bits (for the 'commodore' theme), a Pet Rock (very related to the PET computers) and more Commodore calculators then I proabaly realise.

Other stuff include computer t-shirts (mostly Apple/Mac ones), Atari video game pins, Computer music albums and board games (Computer Rage, Pac Man, etc). Computer history books, many books on BASIC games, Commodore and computer game posters, an abacus, a soroban (that's the japanese variation of an abacus) with learning book, some various old media examples (disk pack platter, 8", 2" floppy disks, paper tape punch cards, a core memory, etc.) Some robot toys - robot arm, Petster, some Radio Shack robot toys like a Robie bank and the dustbot) Some electronic handheld games (merlin)...

Well that's all I could think of right now... :)

In mid-late 2000, I scored a "Commodore Solid State Electronic Calculator" (Model 886D) for 99 cents at a local thrift store... it's an interesting little gizmo, and it works great too. It has the old-style red LED display, and runs on a 9V battery, or optional wall power adapter (not included). Not only that, it included its original box and owner's manual. Not bad!

Erik said he has silicon wafers... I have a good assortment that I picked up when I was in the semiconductor industry. They are extremely beautiful but I have yet to figure out how to photopraph them properly.

On the subject of almost computers, I offer this:

file:///C:/Greg%20Stuff/Antique%20Computers/Survey%20of%20Collection/Marchant1.JPG[img]

Hopefully I posted the picture correctly.... It is a Marchant ACR8D. It performs long division (note the "stop" key which incidently is mixed up with the "auto /" key) I don't know if this is a computer but it has 50 planetary gear sets to handle carry forward and borrow though 16 decimal places.

Greg:

First off, welcome to the Forums!

To post a picture here you'll need to have it available on the web someplace. Most Internet Service Providers (ISPs) offer at least a minimal storage area for personal web pages, photo albums and the like. If you can upload your picture there, then the URL can be referenced here.

Erik

Back