• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sharing where I find my old computer and parts

inotarobot

Veteran Member
Hi all,

hope everyone is having fun with their collection, even if its just 1 or a couple of machine.

Within the next 10 years, I will be 74, and I am almost certain I will need to down size to few machines so that will make me fall in the 0000 0000 point, on my list.

So here is my LIST of the places or ways I have added to my Collection over the last 40+ years.. & yes its a damn binary list.

0000 0000. Older friends or acquaintances rationalizing their collections

0000 0001. Places I have worked at, where I notice something sitting unused.

0000 0010. Junk shops. These are getting to be a thing of the past as far as computing gear goes in my city

0000 0011. E waste recycling places. Some will let you look in their piles, others wont. Occasionally a little "educating" the staff as to what you would like helps

0000 0100. The local tip. The guy with trailer in front of you in the que at entrance just has the Monitor you are missing. You jump out and say "I will give you $5 for it. But we have to do deal outside tip, as once its inside its becomes their property"

0000 0110. Hard rubbish. Again this is almost a thing of the past. Use to be a whole suburb would put out on nature strip their junk twice a year, and you could just drive around and well "assist" in the cleanup. In Melbourne,Australia most councils now just get you to book a pickup. So its very random and not worth driving around in hope of seeing something thrown out.

0000 0101. Disposal auctions. Defence and Commercial ones. Rare to get much really early computing things here now a days, unless your into guidance computer for a 9" battle gun, or control flap computer off a 747-200

0000 0111. Ebay. Sadly in a way this is good and bad. No fun searching out that rare bit, but stressful in a good way 30sec from end of a auction, when you really really want that ultra rare part to complete a machine and so do 4 other just as determined foke.

0000 1000. Container/Storage locker opening. Occasionally I am about when such events occur. Got my Commodore 64, complete with mouse urine from one.

0000 1001. Opportunity Shops. ie Salvation Army, Brotherhood and like. Again highly unlikely BUT I got my extensive Swiss clock makers lathe kit from one.

0000 1010. Neighbor's. Sometimes its worth piling all your unwanted computer junk in the front yard. Within a week amazingly the pile grows, and one never knows what turns up.

0000 1011. Other online sites, like Gumtree. Maybe this could be Forum thread for someone to start, that we could all add to ????

0000 1100. Friend of a friend. Talking about your collection to others, does lead to " I know somebody that has a load of 'junk' in their garage, and ..on it leads.

0000 1110. Scrap metal yards. Some are not specific E-waste collection points and just have a bin as a service to the locals. Worth the rat.

0000 1111. Trash and treasure markets.

0001 0000. A local run 'CAR BOOT" sale

0001 0001. Sign on Street pole or local notice board of a 'Yard sale' or 'Garage sale'. Often best at start of spring when foke try to clear up.

0001 0010. Deceased estate sales.

0001 0011. Real estate agents. Try and locate one that has big coverage. They often have a list of house clearing foke that go in prior to a sale to finally clear up. Get friendly with some of those foke. Called networking.. In fact you may just find one of your friends friend doing such a job.

0001 0100. Driving by a house demolition site, where you notice sheds at rear, still standing. I keep a Hi Visability vest and hard hat in boot, along with safety boots. Some 'Demo' company excavator drivers, are very easy to get on with if you are "dressed the part", and have a 'cold drink, hint hint to type of drink, in your esky in back seat'

0001 0101. Driving by a factory/office demoltion site. same procedure as one above.

0001 0110. Try and get friendly with the local office outfitting company. They often come across equipment when a doing a corporate office make over.

0001 0111. Machinery grave yards. More likely to be in rural areas.

0001 1000. Secondhand machinery dealers. especially those that deal in NC machines.

0001 1001. DUMP Skips ONE of my favorites. Make sure you have gloves in your car, and a tow bar fitted incase you need to dash somewhere to get a trailer. I have got 19" racks of computer gear from some in past. Picked up a pdp-8e out of one dump bin in the center of Melbourne, Australia.

0001 1010. Sim Lim Square tower in Singapore. 4th floor if I recall for unusual industrial computer bits.

0001 1011. Ship breaking yards. Great place for quite early computer bits. Especially the bridge and engine room computing gear, with lots of Analog input and output module racks.

0001 1111. Grave yard of the Aircraft in Tuscon, Az, USA. Thats if your into vintage avionics computing.

0010 0000. Old TV repair shops. Sometimes have an old monitor sitting around, often with its mating computer. Picked up near a thousand 7400TTL chips and huge lot of ultra early transistors from one shop shutting down in Adelaide.

0010 0001. Small computer repair shops. Unlikely place to part with anything there as its mostly a clients. BUT !!!

0010 0010. Local University or Tafe or like. Occasionally they are out of space and well as many of you will know Old Computers are large, so they are happy to get rid of machines. Especially if it costs them nil.

Sure I have forgotten a few places I have acquired bits of my collection from.

000 001 Employers
000 010 Thrift shops
000 011 "Junk Pickup" the same as your 0000 0110
000 100 University of Wisconsin
000 101 eBay
000 110 Other local amateur radio ops
000 111 Amibay
001 000 Pawn shops
001 001 uBid

Last edited:
000 001 Employers
000 010 Thrift shops
000 011 "Junk Pickup" the same as your 0000 0110
000 100 University of Wisconsin
000 101 eBay
000 110 Other local amateur radio ops
000 111 Amibay
001 000 Pawn shops

Thank you.. I did forget your

001 000 Pawn shops. &
000 110 Other local amateur radio ops.

Never heard of of your 000 111.. Amibay ?

Just googled that and that site certainly looks very interesting.

Amibay is great. It was a lot better in the past though, in my opinion, it just seems a lot of activity has shifted to eBay.

I added uBid. I had completely forgotten about that site, but someone reminded me of it today. I'm pretty sure I bought an A2000 there.

Amibay is great. It was a lot better in the past though, in my opinion, it just seems a lot of activity has shifted to eBay.

I added uBid. I had completely forgotten about that site, but someone reminded me of it today. I'm pretty sure I bought an A2000 there.

well considering how eBay has been treating seller and buyers as of late, I think there maybe other better places these days.

Also its good to refresh this post as there will be quite a few newbees here, that would certainly like to see were some of us get our 'treasures'

I like to post a message in retro/vintage groups or communities who deal with "real" antique staf, like old art or 19 century watches - like "of course old computers are not oficially antique things, but maybe you have seen them searching for antique stuff or have at your atticks - and I need them, as I'm gathering a collection". By that way I've found an IBM 5150 machine and a lot of aother stuff))

from my list I have to make a correction to this one

0010 0001. Small computer repair shops. Unlikely place to part with anything there as its mostly a clients. BUT !!!

We recently had a great find at one of these type of places.

More on this find over the coming weeks, as we finish the uncovering, and get to the bottom of the pile of Computers and PCB's

Back