• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Updated Collection: 1986 IBM PC AT and 1986 ZDS PC-160

Super-Slasher

Experienced Member
It's been so long since I've last spoke of my collection, and so much has happened to them since then, I've decided to share again my small, yet hopeful vintage computer collection...

1986 IBM PC AT

ibm-pc-at.jpg

Model Number: 5170-099

Processor: Intel 80286-6 @ 6 MHz
Math Coprocessor: Intel 80287-3
Motherboard: IBM AT Type I w/ 512KB RAM (piggybacked chips)
Memory: 2.5MB (2560KB) (512KB base, 2048KB extended)
Floppy Drives: IBM 5.25" 1.2MB / 3.5" 1.44MB
Hard Drive: IBM/Seagate 20MB full height MFM ST-506
Monitor: IBM 5154 EGA (Enhanced Video Array) w/ pitch tray
Keyboard: IBM AT 84-key
Operating System: MS-DOS 6.22, Microsoft Windows 2.03
Installed Cards: IBM/Western Digital MFM hard/floppy disk controller, IBM 64KB EGA video, IBM 3MB extended memory board w/ 2MB installed

This is the prized gem of my small computer collection - my first and most complete vintage system, I obtained it for free from a family friend who was about to throw it and a matching system away, and that's when my interest in my vintage computers began. I'm expecting the coprocessor next week so I can run AutoCAD on it and do some drafting. I'm also in the process of tracking down an original 1980's IBM dot matrix printer and plotter, to make this workstation more complete. All I'd need then is a nice desk to put everything onto...

Items Still Wanted
  • 12 sticks of 256KB 30-pin pairity SIMM's (to give extended memory card full 3MB of memory)
  • tape drive and propriety card
  • trackball
  • other IBM PC-area computers

1986 Zenith Data Systems PC-160(?)

zenith-160.jpg

Processor: AMD 8088/8086 @ 4.77/8MHz
Motherboard: Zenith 8-bit backpane/CPU board
Memory: 640KB (on CPU board)
Floppy Drives: 2 Zenith 5.25" 360KB drives
Hard Drive: Kyocera KC-30B 33MB MFM ST-506
Monitor: Zenith amber monochrome CGA
Keyboard: Zenith 84-key
Operating System: MS-DOS 5.0
Installed Cards: Zenith floppy controller. Zenith CPU/memory board

This machine was entirely disassembled when I got it and I left it that way until a few weeks ago, when I put it together and cleaned it up some. I'm not entirely sure it's PC-160 because I can find barely any info at all about Zenith computers on the Internet, surprisingly (if anyone can verify that this is indeed a PC-160 or not, please contact me!). I might get rid of this something in the near future, I'm not sure. It's not a very imporant piece in my small collection, but it is something...

Super-Slasher:

I'm not sure what model that Zenith is, but I am sure it isn't the PC-160. The 160 is a portable (luggable), all-in one version. There should be a sticker on the back which should tell you the model number. Another trick is (with the machine booted) to hit ctrl-alt-return, and see what comes up on the screen. There should be some version of system monitor program with a title like: MFM-xxxx. That will give you something to play around with. A question mark entered will display a menu of all the commands available to use. There is a Heath/Zenith forum on CompuServe where you can go for more info concerning your ZDS systems.

--T

I've tried tracing the model number, but it doesn't lead to anything. I had another CPU board with this machine and the two CPU boards had different MFM-XXXX designations, so I'm not sure which the original would be. If I can recall correctly, one was "MFM-600" and the other was "MFM-1400".

What the URL for this forum you speak of?

Compuserve requires you to sign up to get to their message areas. You can get the first month free but then you have to cancel to get out of the program. . .

I'd prefer to avoid the hassle.

If you are on related Compuserve forums and feel like it please post something about these boards. Maybe we'll get some converts! :)

Erik

Super-Slasher,

I msg'd Doc, and he replied that he'd rather not give out his private email addy, but will gladly answer any questions in the open forum.

Joining CompuServe is a mostly painless process. I have been a member for five or six months and they have never tried to bill me or anything. Also have not noticed any significant increase in spam since joining. They seem to be pretty good about protecting thier members against such...

--T

Back