Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

What are the top 10 rarest vintage computer bits you own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a few rare Australian computers that are unknown in the US or UK, all from early to mid 80's

Microbee Kit
    Applix 1616
    Excalibur 64
    Amust Executive 816
    Portapak

Comment

don't know about 10 items
      but have CM-1803 big and heavy special soviet computer with 8" drives, and don't know anybody who have it

And have another computer CM-1810 called "NIVKA" also one man have another working computer and few peoples have not working computers and parts
      This is soviet XT 8086 copmputer but have multibus architecture, not ISA here, and present 768 kb of ram
      Also supporting multiprocessors. Operating systems MS-DOS and iRMX86 soviet clones.
      https://www.facebook.com/retro.pc.net/ my blog (Ukrainian)
      ------------------------------------------------------
      i like IBM,Compaq and SUN computers

Comment

My collection is pretty mainstream PC, Tandy, Amiga, but I have a few items that are not everyday finds:

- Cipher M990 9-track tape drive
        - TI Professional Portable
        - Sun Ultra Sparc 10 with matching accessories (including vintage Sun mouse pad)
        - Mouse Systems M2 optical mouse w/matching pad

Call it "young vintage", but I recently acquired a first generation Alienware Chieftec Dragon tower with original Chieftec PSU and period-correct Pentium4+Radeon 9700. Working on replacing leaking caps on the PSU and a few bulging ones on the mobo while I'm at it. Will be loading up some period games like Commandos, Quake III, Thief 2, Half Life 2. May also load up some other games I never played at the time like Halo, Diablo II and Red Alert. Ah yes, the turn of the century games. Who cared about Y2K when you could just bury yourself in virtual mayhem and carnage!
        “The Bex religious impulse does have its collective side. As in, collect everything and hold on to it whether you remember where it came from or not.”
        —Alberto Fossa, Privateer 2

Comment

How about a large stack of NOS Alphatop Green 753 (non-mmx Pentium 1 CPU) laptops still in their OEM boxes?
          Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts

Comment

Newest and rarest acquisition is an IBM 5162.
            Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phone sucks because it comes through the internet.

Comment

Right now my collection is built around late 90s water cooling and gaming parts. Id say my rarest stuff I own is my cross drilled aluminum blocks from 97-2000. I know most dont see that as vintage, but its close. I have a block for SK7 and even slot one. Sadly the slot 1 block is toasted from galvanic corrosion.
              I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
              You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

Comment

My rarest vintage stuff would probably be
                1. Presenter 1280 with cable and card installed in my R5000 Indy
                2. Beige G3 with a 500mhz MAXpowr G3-G3, and Sonnet ATA133 IDE card.

Comment

I guess I should add a few more items to my list: 1/2 dozen S-100 computers, a NEC Starlet laptop plus floppy drive module, Netronics RS-232 terminal board with keyboard, Quest Super Elf with S-100 expansion board plus 64K RAM board and lastly an Epson QX-16 that needs a CRT monitor.
                  Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts

Comment

I kind of keep to the "pretty rare but generally known about" camp:

1) Apple II Rev-0 with toggle power-supply
                    2) Commodore PET 2001-8 with Blue Label in mint condition
                    3) IBM 5150 with IBM EGA card + daughterboard + IBM EGA monitor
                    4) a hand-wired COSMAC ELF 2000 with custom wood enclosure (one-of-a-kind!!! )
                    5) MSD Dual Floppy Drive with Disk Duplicator ROMs

Comment

Nice !!! Would love to see some pics, or a video, if you have one up on Youtube.

I have a few different videos posted here.
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB...W7oM7Pz5lZgHOg

Comment

My collection is often rotating so I'm sure I've owned some rare items but this is what I currently have that can be considered rare:

1) Hyundai Super-16 Turbo (Intel 8088 clone) complete with Hyundai branded monitor and keyboard
                        2) Umax SuperMac C500 (Apple-approved clone)
                        3) Mitsubishi MP286L with bootable BIOS config floppy and manuals
                        Click here for my YouTube Channel on old commercials and abandoned places!

Comment

How about a Ritro Amicos 6800, brand new in original box?

Amicos 6800.jpg

A few more pics on a Dutch forum.
                          http://www.transistorforum.nl/forum/index.php?id=52221

Regards, Roland
                          WTB: Case for Altair 8800 ...... Rolands Github projects

Comment

Compaq portable 286.
                            WANG VGA 8-bit ISA card

Comment

I have nothing very rare. Following items are nothing special
                              for their model or serial numbers either. I cannot put these in
                              correct order, but I'm curious about their production numbers.
                              VIC-20 was first computer that sold million units. C16 did not succeed
                              well, I guess it is more rare than the VIC. IBM pc/xt all models together
                              sold probably over 5 million units. C64 and it's variations are obviously
                              least rare based on their large production volume. Here's my list, can
                              you help to put it in correct order from rarest to the most common?

Amstrad cpc 464, with color monitor and several dozen casette games. Owned since late 80's.
                              Amstrad cpc 6128, with modified 3.5 pc floppy drive.
                              Commodore 16
                              Commodore plus/4 (untested, without power supply)
                              Commodore Vic-20 with several game modules
                              IBM XT 5160, 640kb/10Mb, green monitor
                              IBM ps2/model 30 0x86, without monitor, without original keyb/mouse
                              Amiga 500 with gotek emulator
                              Commodore color monitor
                              Commodore C64 + C64C

List of 10 is full, but bonus items: Commodore 1530, 1531, various 1541 + 1541-II drives and one
                              Oceanic drive.

AST 486dx33 or Osborne 486dx2/66 would probably drop out at least the C64's out of the
                              list. Parts built 386, pentium 1 or Compaq pentium II computers are maybe not worthy of the list.
                              Toshiba t1900c maybe rare, but as non functional don't belong to the list.

Missing, but not actively seeking out: 1551 drive, a Compis computer.

Comment

I have some hard to find items and one true unicorn...

1. AMI EVK 100 Prototype Evaluation Kit (Bare PCB)
                                1 1/2. IBM PC Jr w/IBM made 10MB hard drive expansion
                                2. SWTPC 6800
                                3. Xerox 820 kit (Bare PCB + ROM + all docs)
                                4. Fairchild F387SX SBC
                                5. Intel SDK-86 (+ a spare working one for trade bait)
                                6. Xerox 820 motherboard (Complete... w/Disks... need to build this one up)
                                7. Sym-1 (2 in box with documentation and matching serials to the boxes and one without a box - trade bait!)
                                8. Heathkit Z89
                                9. Heathkit Z110
                                10. Heathkit Z120

The EVK 100 is an interesting one. I looked for years to find info on it and found a museum in Stuttgart that had one, but they had no documentation. 1 1/2 years later I emailed someone who had a page up about the computer and he answered. He sent his documentation to a guy in England years ago, but gave me his email. I emailed the English guy and got copies of all the documentation. I gave the docs to the museum in Stuttgart and they used it to fire up their computer and dump all the ROMs. Now I have the PCB, ROM images, and documentation!

BUT... I have to find more MC6834 EPROMs. No small (or cheap) task.

The Xerox 820 kit has an interesting pedigree as I bought it off of Vince Briel.

The SWTPC 6800 was "free" - well, sweat equity. A friend of a friend died and he was a hoarder. My son and I were asked to help clean out the house in exchange for all the electronics we wanted - except for the main PC computer and any hard drives had to be wiped. We took 2 5x10 cargo trailer loads of electronics to Dallas Makerspace and gave it all away to members. The SWTPC and all the docs for it went home with me.

Edit: Almost forgot my Unicorn! My IBM PC Jr with an IBM made 10Mb hard drive expansion.
                                Last edited by channelmaniac; February 4, 2020, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X