Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

What are the top 10 rarest vintage computer bits you own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This will probably sound pretty modest compared to many of you, but here's m
    - Spea HiLite 1024 (Texas Instruments TMS34020 video card)
    - A TVM MD-11A monitor (maybe not that rare but I can't find any informations about it on the web except some I uploaded myself)
    - Nvidia NV1
    - A compaq 5"1/4 floppy drive that can properly write to 1.2MB AND 360KB disks
    - Gravis Ultrasound MAX
    - Compaq Deskpro 590XL
    - Windows 98FE upgrade edition on floppy disks in french
    - 8" floppy disks from the late 70's and 80's
    - New old stock MO disks
    - A dual head S3 video card

Comment

A few favorites of mine from my collection:

Applied Engineering Phasor Card for Apple II
      CMS SCSI card with internal 40MB SCSI drive for Apple II (uses a quantum laptop drive from early mac laptops)
      Transwarp card for Apple II
      A trio (2 working) of SCSI Emulator SE SNES Development Units - an NEC V20 based In Circuit Emulator for the Super Nintendo
      Compaq Portable II (needs recapping) and a Portable 3 upgraded to 386 (still have the 286 board set)
      An IBM 5150 with 5151 and a 5170 with 5154.
      A TRS-80 Model 3
      Commodore 128 with a 1084D1

Comment

I can also add these to my list:
        - A MOS TIM-1 from 1975.
        - Atari Night Driver PCB from 1977 (unfortunately broken and not working at the moment).
        - Newton Apple 1 NTI with original components. The board is not rare, but the components are (and >95% are date correct). Contains a white "spider-legs" 6502 from 1976.

Comment

I dont collect much "variety" of older computers but;

TRS-80 Model I
          TRS-80 Model III
          TRS-80 Model 4

many under various state of repair and restorations depending if one is for a commission or not.
          TRS-80 MODEL 4, 128K RAM, 360K & 720K, Gotek FDD, FreHD SDCARD HDD, GURU RS232-WIFI MODEM, DWP210
          Eeprom Prog: Inspiron 660s, I5-3330s, with BK-844USB
          Gotek Prog: Dell D520, Dual-Core Intel, 8GB, 500GB HDD, 15" LCD
          Web Site: https://texastandyrestoration.org/

Comment

My Random stuff
            • Data General Nova (1) (Pre-production Prototype one of the first #20)
            • MicroBee's .. quite a few
            • Atari Falcon030
            • Amiga3000UX
            • MITS Altair 8800, MITS Altair 8800 clone.
            • VAXStation 4000/m96
            • Amiga's ..there's a lot
            • SGI Octane2 (Octane 1's, O2's, Indy's ..fleas on a dog)
            • IBM RS/6000 MCA gear
            • HP9000/G40 (!)

Quite a bit more, but that's my Top10.

"..the hoarding gene is strong with this one."

Comment

White Ceramic Intel 4004
              2x White Ceramic MOS 6502 with RoR bug
              White Ceramic Intel 4040
              2x Purple Ceramic Intel 8008
              White Ceramic Z80
              White Ceramic Intel 8080 (non a/b version)
              Signed by Woz Apple 1 (replica)
              2x MITS Altair 8800 Rev 0 and Rev 1
              Sol 20
              3x Popular Electronics January 1975 issue
              Altair Basic 1.0 on paper tape (copy)
              Altair Basic 3.2 on paper tape (original)
              Altair Basic 4.0 on paper tape (original)
              Various MITS Altair programs on paper tape (original)
              All MITS Computer Notes Issues
              Various Autographs (Gates, Shockley, Woz, others)

All in custom made shadow boxes and never intend to sell.
              Last edited by chedro; April 21, 2020, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chedro View Post
                White Ceramic Intel 4004
                2x White Ceramic MOS 6502 with RoR bug
                White Ceramic Intel 4040
                2x Purple Ceramic Intel 8008
                White Ceramic Z80
                White Ceramic Intel 8080 (non a/b version)
                All in custom made shadow boxes and never intend to sell.
                That is an interesting/desirable chip collection. I've got a good number of 4004/8008/8080's, but the only sort of rare ones that I have are a MIL 8008 in purple ceramic/gold that works, and a VEB U808 in plastic that might not (to be fair, my 8008's are run with a slightly out of Intel spec two phase clock in my designs and it may not have liked it).

Comment

Originally posted by Slob View Post
                  That is an interesting/desirable chip collection. I've got a good number of 4004/8008/8080's, but the only sort of rare ones that I have are a MIL 8008 in purple ceramic/gold that works, and a VEB U808 in plastic that might not (to be fair, my 8008's are run with a slightly out of Intel spec two phase clock in my designs and it may not have liked it).
                  Both of my 4004s are black dot grey trace. Both have very early date code ( I'm told ).
                  Dwight

Comment

As far as rarity goes. I had an original complete in bag copy of Ultima from 1981 published by California Pacific Computer that I just sold last September. That was probably the rarest Item I owned...
                    Wish I had the chance to get Richard Garriott to sign it.

Second to that would be my 1970 Wang 700 Electronic Calculator.

Comment

Originally posted by VERAULT View Post
                      You have one of those!? I’m jealous! I have wanted one of those beasts forever. The tape drive and dual-line Nixie display are just too cool!
                      Compaq - It simply works better

Comment

Originally posted by compaqportableplus View Post
                        You have one of those!? Iím jealous! I have wanted one of those beasts forever. The tape drive and dual-line Nixie display are just too cool!
                        It was given to me from the owner (3rd generation) of an architechtural firm who started working on it in 73 when he got out of college. He gsve me some documentation and binders of programs on cassettes. Did you know it uses core memory? Only thing i own thst has any. Ill evetuslly do a complete restore on it. Funny thing was i was there to pickup an MAI Basic 4 computer and while i was there he asked if i wanted that too. I wss far more excited about the wang. This one also came with a wang badged ibm typewriter for printing. Guess i will have to figure out how to restore that too.

Comment

Originally posted by VERAULT View Post
                          As far as rarity goes. I had an original complete in bag copy of Ultima from 1981 published by California Pacific Computer that I just sold last September. That was probably the rarest Item I owned...
                          Wish I had the chance to get Richard Garriott to sign it.

Oh, didn't know you relisted that ultima? I remember you had a problem with bidders and thought you just put it on the backburner. Or did you sell it privately?
                          -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

Comment

Originally posted by ngtwolf View Post
                            Oh, didn't know you relisted that ultima? I remember you had a problem with bidders and thought you just put it on the backburner. Or did you sell it privately?
                            Yeah i ended up relisting it. Only got $1800.00 So wasnt too thrilled on final price considering it was a complete set. I really should have just sat on it.

Comment

Oh yeah. I also have an IBM 5120 (aka 5110 model 3) that works great except i have no idea how to use it.

Comment

Here is a curiosity I have. It's an S-100 SC/MP CPU board, a prototype I believe. It was made by Applied Technology (who later went on to make the Microbee) in Sydney, Oz, circa 1980-81. It was thrown out as it was a failed etching. Some tracks are pretty much gone.
                                Applied_Technology_S100_SCMP CPU_board_front.jpg Applied_Technology_S100_SCMP CPU_board_rear.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X