Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

What are the top 10 rarest vintage computer bits you own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not too rare but I’ve got

A Gravis ultrasound max 2.1
    A NEC CDR-80 with it’s matching 8 bit ISA card
    A Nakamichi MJ 4.8s? Cd changer. 4 disc version seems significantly more rare than 5 disc.
    And my baby, an IBM PS/2 Model 95/A
    Looking For: PS/2 Monitor model 8516
    IBM PS/2 Model 80 floppy cable
    IBM PS/2 Model 90 and 95 bezels
    IBM PS/2 “Cubrun” P90 Processor Complex
    Ati Mach MCA edition
    Will pay $500-1000 for a Sound Blaster MCV, ChipChat or SoundPiper

Comment

Currently my rarest pieces are:
      Zaisan ES3 computer
      IBM 5161 expansion unit
      Worm drive in my PS/2 model 60
      Macintosh Portable pre-production demo unit
      Apple Lisa 2/10
      GE Fanuc Workmaster 1
      ALR 6x6/Unisys Aquanta HS/6
      IBM Eduquest Forty
      Mint boxed revision A IBM 5150 with everything
      NOS Microsoft Softcard

Comment

Northstar Dimension
        Canon AS-100 color
        Canon AS-100 mono
        IBM PGC card and inoperative 5175 monitor
        Vermont Microsystems PGC clone, 80188 based
        Ampro LittleBoard/PC, V40 based
        AMT AMTjr/ATjr, Sony V20 (clone) based
        Intel 300/? Multibus chassis, no cards
        Number9 Revolution video card, kind of a dog
        Tandy 3000HD, come on you know they're uncommon
        NEC APC III, most of the available add-ons
        Texas Instruments Portable Professional, color

That's 12. I think that comprises most of what would likely considered rare. I also have a Lisa. And a Canon VP-3000. That's 14.

Comment

I don’t think I’ve got anything that’s super rare. And I’m not really sure I want anything that so rare I’d be upset if it broke and I couldn’t get parts for it.

I’ve got a couple of IBM 5161, but no cables or extender cards, just the receivers.
          I’ve also got the lid for a Compaq Deskpro 386, but it’s not the correct computer underneath

Comment

How could I forget. I have 2 Mindsets, one beaten to snot. Neither work lol.

I also have a Tecmar 5161 clone, in horrible shape. Jafir reminded me.

Comment

Originally posted by Weiveismart View Post
              How about a Durango F85?
              is that a "Poppy"? If so you'd better erase that post before Chuck G.finds out.

Comment

Originally posted by tipc View Post
                How could I forget. I have 2 Mindsets, one beaten to snot. Neither work lol.

I also have a Tecmar 5161 clone, in horrible shape. Jafir reminded me.
                Do they power up to a black or solid colour screen? That's what both of mine do.

Comment

Haven't powered them in years. Couldn't tell you. I just cringe to think I nearly gave ~1/2 dozen away years ago.

And I won't be powering them again using the stock power supplies. Not until I can load test and verify their integrity.

Comment

My rarest items:
                    Heathkit EC-1
                    IBM 3270 AT
                    IBM 5150 REVA with Version 2 bios
                    IBM 5150 REVA with Version 1 bios
                    Jacquard Loom punch cards

Comment

Hi, I have original 1975 Altair 8800 kit documentation including build manual, operations manual, original parts lists, original cassettes for 4K and 8K BASIC as well as StarTrek and a lot of other stuff from when I built my Altair 8800 kit.

Find pictures on my website;
                      http://www.brainless.org/MultiMedia/...r/DocumentBin/

I also have an original 1975 Motorola MEK6800D1 Kit I built and only ever tested one time back in 1975; https://www.brainless.org/4Sale/MEK6800D1/

Now I'd like to trade some of this for a good working original 1975 Altair 8800 computer ...

Comment

Hmmm

Cray J932SE Supercomputer
                        Sun Voyager (I need the carrying bag!)
                        Seattle Computer Products 8086 S100 boards (2 of the 3 or 4 needed)
                        Gravis Ultrasound 1.0 / Sound Blaster 1.0
                        Yamaha C1 laptop that works
                        Atari TT030
                        Amiga 4000T
                        BeBox 66mhz incomplete
                        IMSAI 8080
                        Atari STacy

Comment

Working...
                        X