• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What are the top 10 rarest vintage computer bits you own?

falter

Veteran Member
Just want to see what's out there. I've been sort of thinking about thinning my collection a bit to keep only the rare stuff. This is my list:

1) Unbuilt set of 9 Mark-8 Boards (around 20ish Mark-8s exist and as yet I've not found another unbuilt set)
2) SWTPC GT-6144 Video card (haven't found anyone with a site/blog that has one)
3) Videobrain Expander 1 - (Mine is serial number 67 - I've only found two other people that have them so far)
4) Tektronix Engineer's 6800 Board Bucket
5) Digital Group Dual Phideck
6) RCA Microtutor (Uses the rare 1801 cpu... I've seen 5 or 6 out there but there can't be that many)
7) Unbuilt Netronics Explorer 85 kit
8) Unbuilt Applied Technology DG680 CPU board kit
9) Unbuilt Altair 680 motherboard
10) Jupiter Ace

SIM4-01, MP7-02 and MCB-410 ( don't know of another complete )
Nicolet 1080 ( only 375 made, I only know of 5 in existence ) w/ floppy drive ( only 2 known )
Trying to come up with 10
LGP20 Comdyna ( maybe 20 or so )
EC-1 Heathkit ( maybe a few hundred )
Dwight

PS I don't even know what a Durango F85 is??

Last edited:
BTW: If you have fewer than 10 rare items feel free to post whatever number you do have. I just want to see what else is out there.

How about rare items that you've had a part in developing?

I've got all sorts of rare tidbits; a 1401 core frame, a few "cordwood" modules from a CDC 6600, etc. But the Durango F85 is special to me, as the the Poppy (which I have been fruitlessly looking for for at least 20 years). Narrowly missed one being junked in Australia a few years ago...

Most of my rarities are probably mac related.

Tokamac IIfx, Daystar Powerpro 80mhz 601 + cache, Targa 2000 Nubus, Newer Technologies 68040/50 with 128K cache, Transwarp IIgs, etc.

I have some valuable items but I don't think they are rare. I mean a 5150 16-64k that is all original is worth something but I would not call it rare for example.

I have a few other things I've thought of:
M20 Olivetti ( not to be confused with the M24. This is a Z8000 machine. Not that rare in Europe but rare in the US )
QuikLoader for the Apple IIe ( puts several disk file images in EPROM for instant load. Require use in slot3 so may interfere with other boards requiring slot3, like SwiftCard )
Dwight

no idea how rare...
... but these are what I have

1. IBM pc/server 500 with P/390 board (1995 is this vintage?)
2. IBM model 10 card punch
3. SWTPC CT64 VDU
4. EIA TR10 Analog Computer (is this a computer)
5. SWTPC Video Boards (plus late model SS50 machines. Whilst these are not as nice as the early machines I think only a few survive.
6. HP7510 Film Recorder.

Nokia badged IBM 3270 compatible terminals?

I did have an Atari TT030 and a Large Roland Plotter but these went to others..

DSC_0471.jpg
DSC_0476.jpg
DSC_0466.jpg

I don't think I can make up a list of the ten most vintage things I have. I've got some early eighties 8-bit PCs. And a 1987 16-bit mini. But I've got one thing that's rare, at least.. a full set of boards for a Cesar array processor: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/25734
Only six of that model was built, and the boards I have are from a prototype which probably became #1 of those. Here's a picture of one of the boards: http://i.imgur.com/G76o0OV.jpg

CESAR is a systolic array for prodessing synthetic
aperture radar (SAR) data. This prototype machine was built in the late
1980s by the Norwegian Defense Research Establishment (Tokerud et al,
1988). CESAR uses custom 1-bit processors. The processors are arranged
in a 2D mesh with horizontal wraparound connections to form a cylinder.
Point-to-point links connect a processor with its four nearest neighbors and
two diagonal neighbors. The system is organized as 8 x 16 cylinders of 128
processors on a board, with a maximum of four boards
(512 processors). CESAR's radar data is shifted serially into a cylinder's
top, pulsed through the cylinder and output at the cylinder's bottom.
Another board (one of the processor boards, it populated the same way on both sides):malu-side2.jpg

How about rare items that you've had a part in developing?

I've got all sorts of rare tidbits; a 1401 core frame, a few "cordwood" modules from a CDC 6600, etc. But the Durango F85 is special to me, as the the Poppy (which I have been fruitlessly looking for for at least 20 years). Narrowly missed one being junked in Australia a few years ago...

Hi Chuck, what is a Poppy ?? Thanks

Google search gives FUNNY results ����

A number of Magnavox and Philips PCs that were sold in such low volume that the chances of ever recovering any or documenting them are very low.

Philips examples:
Philips P 3361
Philips P 3371
Philips P 3464
Philips P 3470
Philips P 3471

Magnavox is something I am still looking into.

The Argent Technologies 486 DX 33 I found earlier this year is only the second 486 Philips / Magnavox PC I have found since I started looking in 2010.

How about a Magnavox VGA monitor?

attachment.php

attachment.php

PA160227a.jpgPA160228a.jpg

Back