• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Psion Netbook

psionnetbook

Hi there,
I'm new here so I don't know if I'm in the right place, but I'll try anyway:
I've got this 1999 Psion Netbook (the first one) from an inheritance. Unfortunatelly it's just that. No charger or anything else. So I don't know if it works.
Could someone tell me something about this? Can I get an alternative charger without blowing the thing up?
Since I can't find much about it on the internet is it rare?
Any information would help. And if this isn't the place for these questions, please me where I should go?
I thank you all in advance.
Greetings, Andre

Functionally, it's essentially a larger Psion Series 5 with a higher resolution (and colour) screen. Unlike other Psions, the OS ran from RAM rather than ROM which made it easier to update. Psion later released a Series 7 which was basically a netbook with the OS baked onto ROM as with the series 5 (which for some reason made the machine slower).

They are much rarer than run of the mill 3/5 machines (and indeed, rarer than a series 7). A good thing to have.

Unfortunately, Psion didn't use their usual brilliance of making it run from normal batteries but instead used a laptop-style battery pack for the Netbook/7. However, a quick Google shows the power supply needed is 15.5V 550mAh. Again, different to other Psions and not something you see every day but not impossible to find at a reasonable cost.

Back