Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

An Eclectic Canadian Collection of IBM PC compatibles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VintageVic View Post
    I do not know about your personal life, but I have a gut feeling that when a girlfriend comes in the
    picture, these treasures are exposed into certain risk level. Risk increases when the status changes
    into a 'wife'. The female companions can develope bad ideas to remove many treasures in your posession
    and replace them with other, not so funny stuff. Like a television - or what ever. Just hoping, that
    when there is a companion, there will also be appreciation for the vintage on her part .
    Communication is the key. My collections has survived 30 years of GF->WIFE because I made it clear I would keep them all in a section of the basement that wouldn't be dangerous to young children, look unsightly, etc. If my collection had sprawled into the general living areas, I'd be divorced by now.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

Very very nice collection!

I do not know about your personal life, but I have a gut feeling that when a girlfriend comes in the
      picture, these treasures are exposed into certain risk level. Risk increases when the status changes
      into a 'wife'. The female companions can develope bad ideas to remove many treasures in your posession
      and replace them with other, not so funny stuff. Like a television - or what ever. Just hoping, that
      when there is a companion, there will also be appreciation for the vintage on her part .

If not, there is always the ebay, where excess stuff can change hands with other eager enthusiasts.
      Thank you! the following is Off topic, TL;DR She goes before the Computers.

Well, I've been with my GF for 4 years or so now, and shes very familiar with my collecting habits. It's part of who I am. My Father and grandfathers were the same way with collecting stuff. If she can't accept me for who I am, well, we shouldn't be together...

now like any "habit" it should be kept under control, I think she would have reason to get on my case if I became some kind of eBay junkie spending my entire paychecks on vintage computer crap and having nothing left to pay bills.

Comment

Originally posted by Trixter View Post
        Communication is the key. My collections has survived 30 years of GF->WIFE because I made it clear I would keep them all in a section of the basement

A man cave ! Genious! This is the way to go .

Comment

Originally posted by pinkdonut666 View Post
          now like any "habit" it should be kept under control, I think she would have reason to get on my case if I became some kind of eBay junkie spending my entire paychecks on vintage computer crap and having nothing left to pay bills.
          That is what distinguishes people between "hoarder" and "collector". You're off to a great start.
          Offering a bounty for:
          - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

Originally posted by Trixter View Post
            That is what distinguishes people between "hoarder" and "collector". You're off to a great start.
            a great start to which one?

HOWEVER I did just get a boxed IBM EGA card. now I just need a 5154!

Comment

Awesome collection!

Comment

Nice collection !!

I Don't see any CP/M machines ? I think you need few. Totally different animal and really fun to work on. I think you would like them if you're into DOS machines.

Comment

Originally posted by MaCJaX View Post
                  Nice collection !!

I Don't see any CP/M machines ? I think you need few. Totally different animal and really fun to work on. I think you would like them if you're into DOS machines.
                  thanks! To be perfectly honest there aren't any CP/M machines that really interest me. My main usage and interest in these old machines is for gaming, and unless a CP/M machine came across my path locally (extremely unlikely) I don't really have any desire to go searching for one.

there are so many big $$$ Things I have on my wishlist (IBM 5154 & IBM JX for example) and I sorta want to get into MSX machines

so little time, so little money, so many cool machines

Comment

there are some recent acquisitions I am very eagerly awaiting, but it might be another week or two... GRUMP! international shipping -_-

some sneak peak photos tho I can't help but share as I'm WAY too excited.

Comment

Very nice, I'd be excited too .

What is that pc ? Are you willing to share the blow your wallet took for this one ?

Comment

Originally posted by pinkdonut666 View Post
                        some sneak peak photos tho I can't help but share as I'm WAY too excited.
                        Counting your chickens before they hatch is a sure-fire way to anger the shipping gods.
                        Offering a bounty for:

Comment

Very nice, I'd be excited too .

What is that pc ? Are you willing to share the blow your wallet took for this one ?

Leading Edge Model D (DC-2010E) it cost me $20US plus $20us packaging and $130US shipping.

the IBM 5154 after shipping and gouging was about $600cad and will hopefully be here tomorrow afternoon... fingers crossed it arrives intact.

Comment

Real bargain on the equipment itself!
                            It's a sad thing how much shipping costs.

For me, being EU citizen, I would have to add 24% VAT to orders outside
                            EU and then +10% for toll to the previous total. This makes my combined tax 36,4%
                            which is counted on items + shipping both. Your 170 $ would mean 231,88 $ to me, if I
                            had ordered the unit. Perhaps there is some small comfort in that for you .

Tax penalties and costly shipping pretty much limit me to acquiring vintage items from EU area.

Comment

Well Both items arrived in one piece thankfully!
                              I LOVE the sharp EGA graphics on the IBM 5154. something about a digital TTL display that is much more crisp than an analog VGA one.
                              I tried it out first with my IBM XT to get a good comparison side by side with the IBM PC & 5153.

of course the 5154 is much better match for the IBM 5170

I also did some period correct upgrades to my 5150 with a second quadram quadboard. I originally just purchased the quaboard for the expansion bracket but figured, why not install both to upgrade to 640k? so I did lol.

The expansion box is great for the 5 slot 5150, might look slightly silly sticking out the back but it really was a smart solution and I always wanted one but they seem fairly uncommon.

The Leading edge Arrived yesterday, and I was very suprised how clean it was inside for being an ewaste rescue.

unfortunately the keyboard has some problems, some keys don't work, and it was extremely dirty. not to mention yellowed. but I have cleaned it and am working on repairing the keys that don't work.

The Seagate ST225 that I'm guessing was an upgrade doesn't seem to work at all, it spins up and the heads move but it won't format or do anything useful. So I shelved it for the time being. I didn't really like the black Bezel anyway.

Surprising to me Leading Edge's CGA implementation seems to be extremely compatible with the original IBM CGA card. I have noticed all kinds of weird incompatibility with some software on clone cards. But My guess is leading edge basically copied IBM's homework 1 for 1.

I found a beige bezel cover that seems to fit the leading edge case well, and I dug out a know good 20mb 3.5" MFM drive and put it in there. Seems to work very well Now I just have to find a leading edge monitor, possibly an amber monochrome one for something different.

and there we go! basically my entire fun budget for the YEAR already spent. gotta love this hobby :P
                              Last edited by pinkdonut666; February 5, 2020, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Picked up this IBM Aptiva 2134 for cheap locally. Seems to be a pretty low hours machine, in very very nice shape. Still has the original IBM Mwave, 120mhz Pentium, 16mb of ram, and a 1.2gb Quantum hard drive.

it was still running the original factory preload of windows 95, which as you could imagine had it's fair share of issues...

But thankfully https://archive.org/details/AptivaProductRecovery

So i got the machine like factory "fresh" upgraded to 32mb of ram because why not, and tried out a game of the era that surprisingly runs great on this machine from 1996.

Comment

Working...
                                X