• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Do you still celebrate birthdays?

CP/M User

Veteran Member
Hey Folks, this seems strange, but did this forum celebrate when
it turned 1?!

For memory I signed up here early May sometime & was
supposed to get to 1000 posts in the year! Oh well, not far
off it, but since this Forum is nearly 13 months old! ;-)

Cheers,
CP/M User.

The board officially started on Sat Apr 26, 2003 at 5:07 pm, according to the logs.

The website is at least a year and a half older then that, for what it's worth.

I didn't start publicizing the boards until probably a week after I set them up, so an actual birthday is hard to figure.

Either way, we've been at this over a year and things are going very well.

Thanks for the reminder!

Erik

Erik said:
The board officially started on Sat Apr 26, 2003 at 5:07 pm, according to the logs.
Hey, we share a birthday, then. I'm 4/26/55!
I didn't start publicizing the boards until probably a week after I set them up, so an actual birthday is hard to figure.
It wasn't a full week, cause I joined in on the 30th, off from a post to comp.os.cpm. That's only 4 days.

Erik[/quote]

--T

Actually, I did celebrate my birthday this year, by treating myself to a computer upgrade, after using the same computer for two years (that's a record for me--2 years on the same PC). Went from a P-II 266MHz, 160Mb RAM, 4Mb video card, to a 366MHz, 196Mb, 8MB VRAM. Total cost, $0.00, including shipping. The upgrade started out as a co-incidental bit of luck. A couple days before my b'day, I came across a very interesting trash pile along the side of the road. (As I drove by, I noticed a printer and a desktop box on the top of this huge pile, so I went back to investigate). In this pile I found, among other things, a Mac PPC 7200/90, several base units of IBM TP 390E (my G/F's computer), a Micro$oft Natural Keyboard, and best of all, an IBM TP 770X base unit (my computer was a TP 770E). I put some of these items up on ebay, and made about $23.00 off them. The rest I put to good use. I set up the Mac for my little girl, used one of the 390E's to repair G/F's computer. (Someone had broken her USB jack by forcing the plug in upside-down), and used the 770X to upgrade my 770E. The X model uses a different MB & CPU card, which has more base memory, and had an 8Mb video card. I then purchased a faster CPU card off eBay for $11.50, including shipping.
Upgraded/repaired two laptops, and still made a profit of $11.50--not a bad trash pile at all. I just took it as a b'day present from the TrashGods to me.

--T

"Erik" wrote:

> The board officially started on Sat Apr 26, 2003 at 5:07
> pm, according to the logs.

> The website is at least a year and a half older then that,
> for what it's worth.

Yeah, it's nearly 13 months old which will be comming up
on Wednesday (I'd guess). In Australia it will be Thursday
cause were roughtly a day ahead (earlier if you're on the
eastern coast of the US! ;-)

Either way, it's all the same. Like in Australia it's the 27th
of April & the 26th where you are!

> I didn't start publicizing the boards until probably a
> week after I set them up, so an actual birthday is
> hard to figure.

I'd just go by when the board was setup, or is that like
going through a unborn child?

The birthday should be when the forum was completed.
Which is perhaps the same day it was setup?

> Either way, we've been at this over a year and things
> are going very well.

> Thanks for the reminder!

Cheers,
CP/M User.

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> ...(Someone had broken her USB jack by forcing the plug
> in upside-down)...

You mean you can break those USB jacks?! I thought they
were indestructable! ;-)

Cheers,
CP/M User.

CP/M User said:
"Terry Yager" wrote:

> ...(Someone had broken her USB jack by forcing the plug
> in upside-down)...

You mean you can break those USB jacks?! I thought they
were indestructable! ;-)

Cheers,
CP/M User.

No, that's my ThinkPad you're thinking of. It's the one that's bullet-proof. Even though I have a reputation for breaking things by plugging them in upside-down, I'm not guilty this time. We're holding her daughter responsible, even though she denies everything (of course). Oh well, no harm, no foul. Good thing we had an excess of those motherboards that week.

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

>>> ...(Someone had broken her USB jack by forcing the plug
>>> in upside-down)...

>> You mean you can break those USB jacks?! I thought they
>> were indestructable! ;-)

> No, that's my ThinkPad you're thinking of. It's the one
> that's bullet-proof. Even though I have a reputation for
> breaking things by plugging them in upside-down, I'm
> not guilty this time. We're holding her daughter
> responsible, even though she denies everything (of
> course). Oh well, no harm, no foul. Good thing we had
> an excess of those motherboards that week.

A case of something being cheap can be nasty if handled
incorrectly then. Generally IBMs you pay that little bit extra
for.

Cheers,
CP/M User.

We have four different models of ThinkPads here, all of similar age & specs. The 600 model is very thin & lightweight, but I consider it to be flimsy compared to the others. The 770's are built like a tank, but the downside of that is the weight. They tip the scales at over 8 lbs. The 390E falls somewhere in between, sturdier than the 600, but not as well put together as the 770's. The 390 & 600's cases are made of common plastic, whereas the 770s are constructed of a carbon-graphite composition, just like a Ferarri's body is made of. I've never looked up the original prices of them, but I'd guess that there is a big difference there too (especially the Ferarri).

--T

Btw, did you know that computer manufacturer Acer since a while is co-operating with Ferrari and has released some notebooks and desktop computers in red with the official Ferrari logotype? They are somewhat more expensive than a comparable computer, but what is more surprising is that even low- or mid-class machines ($1500-2000) have been included in the product line, which is much un-Ferrari-like.

Speaking of which, Fernando Porsche has participating in designing some cases for external hard drives etc, but I find them utterly ugly looking, in particular considering a such well known designer has put his name on them. Maybe you can only vary a hard drive case so much, or it was a case of great uninspiration.

"carlsson" wrote:

> Btw, did you know that computer manufacturer Acer
> since a while is co-operating with Ferrari and has
> released some notebooks and desktop computers in
> red with the official Ferrari logotype? <snip>

I nearly ended up with an Acer back in 1997. At the
time they were one of the few Notebooks which had
a CD-ROM & Floppy Disk built-in (a feat which most
other Notebooks didn't have then). Unfortunately the
cost stopped me from getting one. But it was also a
nice looking machine too.

Cheers,
CP/M User.

I'll go one step further and say that Porche's cars are ugly, too. Always have been, since back in the fifties. The Speedster really does look like a bathtub-on-wheels. (Of course, ugly or not, I wouldn't turn one down if it were offered to me).

--T

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> I'll go one step further and say that Porche's cars
> are ugly, too. Always have been, since back in
> the fifties. The Speedster really does look like a
> bathtub-on-wheels. (Of course, ugly or not, I
> wouldn't turn one down if it were offered to me).

Pity, I like the Speedster! ;-)

Cheers,
CP/M User.

"Terry Yager" wrote:

> Oh well, they're pretty quick all right, and probably
> well-engineered, but I just prefer the look of classic
> American muscle cars.

Well, the movie I seen one in was wasted. They didn't
even include it in a high-speed car chase, well unless
you call a chase with a Bus a chase! ;-) Eventually,
the darn thing was blown up & geez wasn't Eddie
Murphy happy about it! ;-)

Cheers,
CP/M User.

Better to waste the movie than wasting the Porsche (or maybe not if it was a damn expensive movie to film).

I don't know if I fancy the design of the cars, but as I wrote, a designer who has won many prizes and is greatly honoured in large parts of the world, entering a field which only had so much artistic design since before should in my eyes be able to come up with something semi-clever at least.

Btw, I visited http://www.folklore.org/ yesterday, which is a site about computing folklore that currently only has one project; the stories behind early Macintosh development (1979-1985). One of the stories mentioned the case design and how Steve Jobs changed his mind a few times to get the most attractive and renewing type of case before launch.

Heh! I wonder what they did with whatever was left of it? A few years back, I saw an ad in Auto Swapper for a brand-new 'Vette, which had been, according to the ad, "driven off a cliff, and burned to the ground in a movie stunt." They were still asking $10,000.00 for the carcass. I figgered some chop-shop would buy it for that, just to get the title & tags.
(Hmmn, I wonder whatever happened to James Dean's old Speedster? Prolly in a museum somewhere, eh?)

--T

Maybe it can be used as a trade-in, but in that case valued to more than $10000 when buying a new car? Some newly rich soul may also buy it to impress his mates:

"Look at this car! Brand new, and I've already driven it off a cliff and burned it out! Am I cool or what?!" not mentioning that it wasn't him doing it.

I dunno, I still like the chop-shop theory better. Ever been to a "Salvage auction?" I went once, with a friend who owned a local junkyard (Automotive Recycling and Reclamation Center, for the PC among us). I was truly amazed at the prices they were getting for cars that were completely totaled. My friend went to some lengths to point out to me which of the bidders were known gangsters, car theives, and chop-shop operators. He was complaining that an honest businessman like himself didn't have a chance at such an auction because there just weren't enough sellable parts to justify the prices that those wrecks were selling for.

--T

carlsson said:
Btw, I visited http://www.folklore.org/ yesterday,

Speaking of folklore, (this is the forum for OT, isn't it?) I just saw on the local "news" broadcast this morning, a piece about "sex bracelets." Don't I recall something about this being an Urban Legend? Apparently, it's still making the rounds.

<later>

Ok, I looked it up on snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/risque/school/bracelet.asp

The article isn't real clear as to whether it's UL or not. I guess it could also be a self-fulfilling UL or something.

--T

Back