• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Using MSN messenger voice behinde a firewall

Messenger

first of all I hope all of you are fine
I have a problem from more than two months ago
I am behind a firewall in my university, I can log in to MSN messnger 6.2 but I can not using the voice because of the firewall. same thing with yahoo messenger and other messengers. can any one please tell me the solution of this problem or at least give me any other messenger will work with this situation :(

You'll probably have to contact your school's Sysadmin and beg him/her to leave a hole (open port, aka security threat) in the firewall for you. Good luck! HINT: Sometimes, if you can convince the Sysadmin that you know more about thier system than they do...

--T

thanks alot Terry Yager, but as you know they will not open the port
so if you know a simple way or solution I will be very thankfull dear

But... Wouldn't that be illegal? There are lots of haxor websites, newsgroups, IRC channels, etc. where that sort of information may be found, if you're willing to do a little digging. (Just don't expect anyone to be able to advise you without knowing a lot more detail about your system).

--T

I dunno about firewalls, but at the university campus we used NAT and private IP (10.x.x.x) rather than public ones. It pretty effectively killed NetMeeting, webcams and most other applications. Some LAN games went through, and the haxxor people found a way around the NAT.

I know at least one NetMeeting clone was able to take advantage of the SOCKS5 proxy we had on the NAT network to let ICQ through, but I can't remember its name. Maybe it wouldn't work with a real firewall.

There probably is a good reason why the uni puts up a NAT, firewall or other means of "Quality-of-service". I suppose you have tried to ask your administrators but didn't receive an answer or didn't like the answer you got? As Terry mentions, on this subject there ought to be other forums populated with more skilled people than here (no offense to the regulars), so you will be more lucky searching for Messenger, voice and firewall. I'm not sure you will find some user-land solution though.

thanks alot my friends (carlsson and Terry Yager) about your reply. dear carlsson; my IP in university starts with 10.x.x.x and also my default gateway. does that mean the university using NAT? thank you my friends.

Yep. It can be both the address translation and the actual port filtering in the firewall that blocks your voice function, as these softwares seem to be written for point-to-point traffic.

There is something called UPnP (Universal Plug and Play), but I'm not sure what it is or how it can help you. Microsoft themselves suggest that you install a special Winsock proxy server on the public part of the network which would bridge the traffic for you (and other users??). At my uni, we were considering something like that, but it never was attempted. I don't know if your administrators would like to try it.

You can also try ENat for MSN Messenger, which seems to modify the software to go through a P2P protocol. However, your other party needs to install the corresponding reader part, which means that everyone you like to chat with need to install some (potentially unknown) software. I have no personal experience, so you'd do it completely on your own risk.

http://www.easyfp.com/msn-messenger-directtalk/

"Messenger" wrote:

> thanks alot Terry Yager, but as you know they will not open
> the port so if you know a simple way or solution I will be
> very thankfull dear

If you're a fan on Wargames (the movie), then perhaps you
should be looking for a Back Door in this system? That might
mean doing how the movie does it & research the creator of
that system. But then you'll have to know where to start! ;-)

Cheers,
CP/M User.

Back