• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The New Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
This is a thread to discuss the new forums. The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Please keep it civil and try to help each other find stuff that may have moved.

Thanks!

Is there something going on with the Sites Time stamp? I created a new topic about 10 mins ago and when I chick on the "new Topics" tab under the forums tab My topic is nowhere in the list. Under my profile the topic shows up as created.

I don't like how every forum and web site update seems to be required by law to increase white space and reduce the amount of useful content displayed on the screen, but I guess there's no point in complaining about that here.

I also noticed that clicking on a subscribed topic now brings you to the first page of the thread instead of the last. Hopefully that can be fixed.

I'd also like to see a return of the blue and white color scheme. This new (default?) monochromatic scheme is bland.

But still far better of a transition that other forums I belong to which switched from vBulletin to XenForo.

-There is an insane amount of side padding on high resolution displays
-The social networking SHARE and TWEET buttons seem a little redundant on each post
-The rocking me to the last post on a page gets annoying fast, especially if I have never entered the thread before and wanted to start on Post 1.
-Agreed, bring back the old color scheme
-I do [SUB]enjoy [/SUB]the fact [SUP]that we now have [/SUP][SUB]sub[/SUB] and [SUP]super[/SUP] script buttons. ;)
Indent​
controls​

are
also​
pretty
[SUB]S[/SUB]L[SUP]I[/SUP]C[SUB]K[/SUB]​

Okay I'll stop now. Other than the usual tweaks any forum gets after a major update it seems okay so far

Edited: GAH! avatar sizes changed and signatures don't appear!

Oh, I see that editing a post too fast or multiple times auto-flags it as possible spam and holds it for approval.
Yeah, no. That's not flying with me at all.

Of course, everything is broken now in SeaMonkey 1.1/Firefox 2. Even the login won't run as is seems to be totally script now. Is there a normal login page hidden somewhere?

Every... single... post... has a Facebook and Twitter logo? Why are we advertising for these two companies?

all the world lives on a phone
It does seem like the entire world is expected to act like teenage girls these days.

Can someone please point out where I can find links to:
#1 - show unread posts
#2 - mark all posts as read

I find it incredible that new forums always seem to either hide or drop these features... sigh...

If you can find them (and tell me) - thank you in advance!

I don't like how every forum and web site update seems to be required by law to increase white space and reduce the amount of useful content displayed on the screen, but I guess there's no point in complaining about that here.

I also noticed that clicking on a subscribed topic now brings you to the first page of the thread instead of the last. Hopefully that can be fixed.

I'd also like to see a return of the blue and white color scheme. This new (default?) monochromatic scheme is bland.

But still far better of a transition that other forums I belong to which switched from vBulletin to XenForo.

Honestly, if they were going to screw up the site this badly they might as well have switched to XenForo. Aside from the fact that vBulletin 4 and XenForo actually work, I have been enjoying the XenForo forum layout over at TalkWeather. TalkWeather works perfectly on all of my computers and VCFed did when they were still using vBulletin 4. This on the other hand....

Flabbergasted that such a major topic as the forum "up"grade that literally affects all Forum users has been placed here under 'General Off Topic' - and by a forum admin, no less!

I posted an earlier thread about how it now doesn't work well at all on my older device under "Vintage Computer Forum Support" which would be a proper place also for this thread to reside.

If having user's problems with the new forum considered as "off topic" by the mods/admins, well I just shake my head in disbelief.

So much for civility. Well, I've upgraded forum software before and it's always a harrowing experience fraught with bugs, so Erik and company get nothing but praise from me for even attempting it.

That said, I have the following requests:
  • Please install some themes so that users can customize the site, somewhat, to their liking
  • I'd like to see the image limitations lifted a bit so that 1920 is now the horizontal limit, up from 1280. You can keep the file size limits if you're concerned about storage costs, but people are using images more and more to troubleshoot and larger sizes would help that.

Super not thrilled with the fact that JS is now required for things as basic as login and thread navigation. (Posting at least works, but redirects to a blank page...!?!?) Congratulations on breaking it for ELinks or a variety of vintage browsers with little to no JS support. Also want to echo the flameage for the new theme - piles of unnecessary padding and oversized elements.

Doesn't mean everyone needs to side with stupid......

And vwestlife is right, I noticed it defaulting to the first page on posts as well.

It's taking you to the first unread post in a thread -- I think. The forum update has lost all of my reads and everything is unread.

Every... single... post... has a Facebook and Twitter logo? Why are we advertising for these two companies?

It does seem like the entire world is expected to act like teenage girls these days.

yeah first thing I did was block those tabs in UBlock Orgin. Shame I had to do it in the first place.

Edit: Can someone PLEASE tell me how to view the newest posts to threads? I cannot seem to find it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back