• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Super Video Card Adventures

Agent Orange

Veteran Member
It was announced today that the highly vaunted RTX 3080TI would be made available in selected stores thoughout the county on June 3rd. Having nothing better to do this afternoon, I decided to visit my local BestBuy in Novi, MI. Waking into the store from the parking lot, I noticed one young fellow off to side with a folding chair and a sleeping bag moping about. I made my way through the store to the computer area and found an "associate". I asked if this store had the 3080TI and he said they had 50 of them that would be available by "ticket" only at 7:30 AM Thursday morning, June 3rd. If you could score a ticket you would be in. He also said that this store in Novi and only one other BestBuy in Kalamazoo had been selected for the honor. On my way out of the store there were now about 7 or 8 with sleeping bags and other camping paraphernalia. I've read about these things but never personally witnessed it.

As I was pulling out of the parking lot it began to sprinkle a little. I decided to head over toward Detroit's east side suburb of Madison Heights and see what the Micro Center had to offer. I walked up to the main entrance and noticed off to my right, and under a large roof overhang, were at least 10 or 12 folks with folding chairs and sleeping bags. Once in the store I corralled an "associated" and asked him how many cards were available for the Thursday sale. The fellow seemed nervous at my question and replied that he didn't know, but it would be on a first come first serve basis. I said that I suppose if you told me you would lose your job and he kind nodded and I didn't press the point. He did, however, direct my attention to a display case that housed 2 AMD Radeon 6900 series video cards. Those two could be had for $2500 and $2600 respectively. I left empty handed.

Around 5:00 PM this afternoon it started to rain here in the metro area at fairly good pace, not a down a downpour, but nevertheless it was steady and I thought about those lined up at the BestBuy. At about 9:00 PM this evening I decided to take another trip back to the BestBuy just to see if there appeared to be 50 or so still in line. This time there were tents wrapped all the way around the building and down one side which would be the employees parking area. So, I'm back to waiting for something to avail itself on the net. BTW, the 3080TI goes for a paltry $1195.00

I wonder if some of those people camped out are paid to be there to pick up a card for somebody else or are planning to flip them on ebay for a profit.

Back