• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Attention Windows 10 Critics

Agent Orange

Veteran Member
Those who absolutely hate Windows 10 may soon be able to direct their angst toward Windows 11. That's right, W11 may be just around the corner according to this Tom's Hardware blog. The article goes on to say that if you're still running W7 you may get a free ride.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/page/2 (then scroll down some)

Still running win 7 and loving it. When it becomes too old to be useable we are switching all home computers to linux. Windows 11 is not even a blip on the radar for me.

Hah, yeah, remember when 10 was supposed to be "the forever version?" That lasted. And I'm sure it'll be much less bad about regularly breaking our users' network share settings with every single update :/

Hah, yeah, remember when 10 was supposed to be "the forever version?" That lasted. And I'm sure it'll be much less bad about regularly breaking our users' network share settings with every single update :/

Haha, I worked at MS while 10 was in development. I remember that being the huge deal - it was to be the last version of Windows and they were moving to a gradual upgrade model like Mac OSX has/had. The great part about this is I could relay feedback/user experience to them very easily and I really loved 10 when it first came out. It's a bit more of a disaster these days because they probably - and this is speculation - got way too much feedback on how good or bad it is and it's too hard to separate out the people who can't take care of their computers properly vs. someone like myself who knows what their doing. Those early days were great, it seemed like we were on a good track. Since then though - it's been either a peak of instability and issues relating to updates (as usual for any version of Windows), or strangely silent and peaceful plateaus of stability (ie. the calm before the storm).

Honestly, 10 has been interesting for me to say the least - I'd say it's time as the primary Windows O/S has been more of a roller-coaster rather than consistently bad or consistently good.

I've not really looked at 11 much yet, I'm not sure I'll be using it, maybe I'll upgrade my Win10 beater laptop (Inspiron 15). I got sort of tired of 10's unpredictability from updates to the point I'm mostly using Linux Mint and FreeDOS 2.1 the most these days for things - with a little Mac OS for multimedia production.

Thankfully, I bypassed everything after Win7 and went to Linux/BSD exclusively. Have never regretted it, particularly when I get phone calls from my wife's friends asking if I could please straighten out their Win10-equipped systems. I plead ignorance.

I still use Windows 7 for my main machines but I did setup my media machine connected to my TV with Windows 10 Pro. For watching HD videos it works out fine once setup.

I had tried W10 on a AMD FX8350 setup I got a few years back but W10 screwed up the 5 channel HD audio so I went with Windows 7.

W10 is a great gaming platform. Never a problem as Nvidia drivers and the Ryzen 9 5900X seem to blend right in. I don't seem to have those W10 problems that some folks here like to bandy around. And, for the most part, it was free.

I mean, if you haven't had issues, that's great for you. But it doesn't change the fact that I've had them - or rather (since 10 was the thing that finally made me jump ship for *nix on personal systems) my clients have. Regularly, multiple customers, every couple weeks. I can fix the issues easily enough - but MS keeps reverting the fixes. They'll let you configure things so that stuff works, but they won't let you keep things configured that way. People are paying my employer good money to handle their issues, but there's nothing we can do to get them permanently resolved, not because there isn't a simple solution to the problem, but because MS keeps re-breaking it. So, yeah. You do what you like - but it doesn't change anything about anyone else's experience.

I mean, if you haven't had issues, that's great for you. But it doesn't change the fact that I've had them - or rather (since 10 was the thing that finally made me jump ship for *nix on personal systems) my clients have. Regularly, multiple customers, every couple weeks. I can fix the issues easily enough - but MS keeps reverting the fixes. They'll let you configure things so that stuff works, but they won't let you keep things configured that way. People are paying my employer good money to handle their issues, but there's nothing we can do to get them permanently resolved, not because there isn't a simple solution to the problem, but because MS keeps re-breaking it. So, yeah. You do what you like - but it doesn't change anything about anyone else's experience.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if your clients are running W10 Pro there is an option to disable updates. Lock them down and see how it goes.

My experience with 10 has been mixed. The bad:
- the virus scanner that does what Microsoft wants, not what I want.
- File Explorer that crashes every few hours on a random operation (this is particularly annoying)
- the plethora of unwanted bloatware
- getting harassed every so often to use a microsoft account, or store my stuff in the cloud - even though the machine is not connected to the internet
- the flat window look. I don't care what the handheld telephones look like, this is a desktop and I like proper borders, and the ability to configure the colours - all of them.

The good: Apart from the above, it does seem fairly stable, and it handles unexpected power interruptions well.

From what I've heard, Windows 11 will be basically a rehash of the abandoned 10X. Whether that is good or bad is yet to be seen. Microsoft engineers can't seem to keep their hands off the UI, always need to fiddle with it, rather than fixing the real problems.

It has exciting things like rounded windows and a new startup sound. Waahwhooo!

Why was this thread created in the first place?

It is obviously troll tread FFS.

One just needs to do a quick google search to see what issues folk have with Windows 10. And there is a lot on record lol.

On a brighter note Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 is installing on my Shuttle Xpc as I post this ;)

Last edited:
"Disable updates" is not a reasonable solution - not in a world where a new wave of ransomware attacks rolls around every year or two, exploiting some newfound bug in the Windows network infrastructure, and definitely not as a recommended policy from an IT firm to its clients. And unfortunately, MS no longer even gives you the option to selectively install updates anymore without full-fledged enterprise infrastructure and a dedicated WSUS server, bundles piles of unrelated changes into singular globs, and won't tell you what they do in any case, making that useless for the purpose even if you do go to the trouble of setting it up. And even in cases where you might use Group Policy to enforce the settings you want to keep, that requires a full-blown AD/domain environment, so it's simply not viable for a lot of small-business IT solutions. If you don't have a non-insane answer to give, at least don't pretend you do.

Calling the next update Windows 11 is most likely just marketing. If something has got bad reputation, you just rename it.

Or maybe they just following Apple's way. macOS is at 11 now as well.

My experience with 10 has been mixed. The bad:
- the virus scanner that does what Microsoft wants, not what I want.
- File Explorer that crashes every few hours on a random operation (this is particularly annoying)
- the plethora of unwanted bloatware
- getting harassed every so often to use a microsoft account, or store my stuff in the cloud - even though the machine is not connected to the internet
- the flat window look. I don't care what the handheld telephones look like, this is a desktop and I like proper borders, and the ability to configure the colours - all of them.

The good: Apart from the above, it does seem fairly stable, and it handles unexpected power interruptions well.

From what I've heard, Windows 11 will be basically a rehash of the abandoned 10X. Whether that is good or bad is yet to be seen. Microsoft engineers can't seem to keep their hands off the UI, always need to fiddle with it, rather than fixing the real problems.

Yikes! thats all I have to say.. Why put yourself through that?

"Disable updates" is not a reasonable solution - not in a world where a new wave of ransomware attacks rolls around every year or two, exploiting some newfound bug in the Windows network infrastructure,

I am sorry but that is an old way of thinking that they have somehow ingrained in you. I disable all updates except virus scan. I have been doing this for the better part of 20 years. We get no viruses, ransomware, we are not getting "hacked". What we have is STABILITY! And we lose that ever time updates are FORCED on us. Yeah keep updating for no reason, keep perpetuating the stupid circle. My android phone forces updates. There for it is annoying and things are always changing and unreliable.

It's something Microsoft forces upon you, like it or not.

Here's an example of what the inbuilt virus scanner did - I found it was trying to scan my NAS continually, slowing both it and the local network to a crawl. So I added a firewall rule to prevent the virus scanner reaching out beyond its own machine. It then decided that the new rule was a virus and removed it, without asking first. Fortunately I had the option to restore it, but it later removed it again, and this roundabout happened about 4 times before it got the message to not scan the NAS. It won the fight with the firewall rule though.

So, it doesn't do what I want, it does what Microsoft wants. In some countries the action of auto-deleting files and changing setttings without asking could be against the law.

For those who already don't like the Win10 flat/mobile look, the UI from Win11 leaked preview is literally what a tablet would look like. Seems like a second attempt (after Win8 ) to merge both worlds.

Last edited:
Back