• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

GTX 1650 Video Card

And refurbished no less. So not much of a warranty. Would not be on my bucket list.

And refurbished no less. So not much of a warranty. Would not be on my bucket list.

How many times have you had a fairly modern video card go tango-uniform on you? Me, none, and I have a bunch of various card. That not a bad deal when it's just about the only good deal in town. If I needed one, I'd certainly roll the dice on that one.

While the 1650S is not much faster than an RX580, it uses almost 50% less power and produces far less heat. The RX580 and especially the RX590 are heat monsters.

I just mentioned it because a $200 3 year old card is basically the same as a referbed new $300 card. The state of GPU pricing sucks if you need to upgrade.

Power savings are good, you could probably run a 1650S in a new office machine without overheating or needed anything more then a SATA to PCIE adapter for power (I assume it needs 1 6 pin PCIE power plug).

How many times have you had a fairly modern video card go tango-uniform on you? Me, none, and I have a bunch of various card. That not a bad deal when it's just about the only good deal in town. If I needed one, I'd certainly roll the dice on that one.

People are always bitching their new GPU arrived DOA so it happens to somebody sometimes.

People are always bitching their new GPU arrived DOA so it happens to somebody sometimes.
Granted, it may happen, but you do have a warranty, so DOA is not a factor. I bought a lot of new ones and never had a DOA, so "always" sort of is a stretch. BTW, the 1650 gets fairly decent reviews. What I don't understand is why on this board some are taking pot shots at this card and there's nothing else around at a comp[arable price. With 4GB it's by no means a top gamer but it'll run just about anything and give @ 60 fps.

SATA to PCIE adapter for power (I assume it needs 1 6 pin PCIE power plug).

Those things should never be used, they're fire hazard death traps. You're converting 3 or 4 dedicated 12v wires to a single 12v wire shared with other devices. If it doesn't melt or burn first, the voltage drop is going to be ridiculous and cause problems with the card being starved for power.

Those things should never be used, they're fire hazard death traps. You're converting 3 or 4 dedicated 12v wires to a single 12v wire shared with other devices. If it doesn't melt or burn first, the voltage drop is going to be ridiculous and cause problems with the card being starved for power.

The 1650 uses one 6-pin connector.

PCIE x16 slots provide up to 75W. The 1650S is a 105W card so using a SATA to PCIE adapter for the 30W difference should not be a big deal.

I mentioned it because that is what I seen people doing on OEM business machines they turn into gaming machines with these kinds of cards (because the power supply OEMs used don't have PCIE power cables).

Granted using a few of those on a high powered card would probably cause a meltdown even if the power supply didn't shut down first.

Just like to add that were talking about the GTX 1650 and not the ATI X1650 PCIe 512MB. What a great little video card the latter is, I have it right next to me here and it's the one I use when I'm building a new system to get things up and running without having to tickle the BIOS settings. .

Once only and it was replaced under warranty very promptly by the manufacturer. But what you say is true, it rarely happens. Just isn't my thing to buy refurbished. To me that means something was wrong with it and it's bee repaired. But how well repaired and by who.

Once only and it was replaced under warranty very promptly by the manufacturer. But what you say is true, it rarely happens. Just isn't my thing to buy refurbished. To me that means something was wrong with it and it's bee repaired. But how well repaired and by who.

I assumed they would be better tested then regular production because if it came back for issues again then they would lose money on it (from a well known large company anyway). Anything with major issues would probably just get recycled.

I'm not pushing the point, but a lot those cards are just returned for whatever reason; i.e. wrong card purchased, open box, etc.

I'm not pushing the point, but a lot those cards are just returned for whatever reason; i.e. wrong card purchased, open box, etc.

Wouldn't a return just be a return? Why would warranty accept a return if it was not a failed unit?

The 1650 uses one 6-pin connector.

Yes, which has 3 dedicated 12v wires. 8 pin PCIe has four. You could argue that there's only effectively 2/3 12v wires on those connectors because the 6 pin has one N/C and the 8 pin uses one 12v as a sense, but many video cards ignore the official spec and just tie them all together on the board. PSUs also usually tie all of the 12v pins to the 12v power rail as well. I think the only machines I've ever seen follow the spec to the crossed T and dotted i were some Dell computers.

PCIE x16 slots provide up to 75W. The 1650S is a 105W card so using a SATA to PCIE adapter for the 30W difference should not be a big deal.

You're making the assumption that the card manufacturer is following the PCIe spec for power delivery, and that the card is actually only going to draw ~100W at max. AIBs regularly ignore power limits, case and point are factory overclocked cards. The spec Nvidia gives for the GPU ASIC is often not even close to what an AIB card pulls. AIBs also can decide where they draw their power from when designing the card power circuitry, and usually have some software control over how much power is delivered from the PCIe slot vs. the PCIe power connector. They can choose to draw little or nothing from the PCIe slot, and the majority from the connector, or split it any number of ways, you can never know without using an amp clamp.

I mentioned it because that is what I seen people doing on OEM business machines they turn into gaming machines with these kinds of cards (because the power supply OEMs used don't have PCIE power cables).

Yeah, its always been an irritating ordeal upgrading OEM machines. I would especially not use such a solution in one of those machines because the PSUs can't take the extra load. They're sized for the max computer power consumption as shipped, and not much else. I've had to upgrade power supplies in machines for customers who added video cards and the machine would keep shutting down from PSU over current protection kicking in. In situations where that wasn't possible, the video card had to be replaced with a lower power model, or the CPU replaced with a lower power model to give more breathing room for the GPU.

Wouldn't a return just be a return? Why would warranty accept a return if it was not a failed unit?

Depends on the retailers return policy. Some accept returns no questions asked and therefore can't resell the item as new.

Late edit: You can walk in to MicroCenter and exchange a CPU, mobo, video card, or whatever no questions asked providing it's not damaged in anyway. They all the time have "open box" sales which are good savings.

Last edited:
I haven't seen a Micro Center in years. They're still around? Last one I used to go to was in Pennsylvania back before 2010. I think there may have been one south of Denver but I never got down there to check. I still miss Fry's.

Yes, there is one here in Houston. Not close but about an hour away. I may have to check it out.

Back